how does bay hunting work

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

how does bay hunting work

Postby DUCKBAKER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:08 pm

how do you bay hunt is it on state land or do you just build a blind on some flats somewhere?
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby TX_DUX » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:13 pm

i hunted the marsh i east galveston bayand got ran out by some oldtimer sayin he had been leasin it since the 60's so i really dont know... guess it just depends are where you are....
GENERATION_DUX
TX_DUX
hunter

was it public

Postby DUCKBAKER » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:20 pm

i hunted in rockport 2 years ago and limited out on redheads and pintails and our guide droped us of on a blind out in the flats. i wonder if you can do the same build some blinds and go out their. or even better just get a kayak or a sneak boat and hunt like that.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby TX_DUX » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:24 pm

that be nice if you could but i have no ideas i wish someone knew out there if there were any public places to hunt jus when i got a weeknd off or something
GENERATION_DUX
TX_DUX
hunter

well

Postby DUCKBAKER » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:31 am

you can by a season public hunting pass for 48 bucks i think. that gives you access to a bunch of land. the thing is that everyone has access to the land so sucks. but if you have a isolated spot i bet its good.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby TXbayhunter » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:42 pm

well here were i am i know almost all of east matagorda bay or atleast the entire south shoreline of it can be publicly hunted... we keep a blind out there and so do many other ppl in the area and we had to do nothing with the state nor buy the public acess pass..
Who says 4:30 in the morning is early? to us.... its late
TXbayhunter
hunter

cool

Postby DUCKBAKER » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:21 pm

do other people hunt in your blind?
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby DUCKBAKER » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:27 pm

has any one messed with your blind or anything because i wouldnt want to put time and effort into building a blind and then have it recked. also do you see any other hunters around you.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby TX_DUX » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:28 pm

sounds like a good idea to me as long as people dont wreck it... i will have to check stuff out down here
GENERATION_DUX
TX_DUX
hunter

Postby TXbayhunter » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:18 pm

well your definately gunna have ppl hunting it at times.. just always make sure your the first one there when you want to go... and no the only thing that ever messes up our blinds are really big storms. and if the birds arent working good at our blind one week, we will try out someone elses blind....
Who says 4:30 in the morning is early? to us.... its late
TXbayhunter
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:23 pm

The coast is good, all of corpus christi bay is public-free-no permit, the backside of Port A also. Just use common sense and not be in the marina or something stupid, but lots of water out there, you'll have no problem getting away from things. Tons of shallow water/islands all along the ICW, so you can take any boat along the ICW, find an island that looks nice (theres tons) anchoe off the island and walk to your spot on the island. All around the islands it's super shallow, you gott get there and anchor of in the water before it gets to shallow. Plus lots of good places you can park at a local marina, toss a canoe or kayak in the water and a quick 5 min row gets you to an island. As far as blinds....for the most part hunters are nice people, I like to think we don't trash stuff up. If you're in a blind and the owner comes up to hunbt also and it's still early, hey......nice thing to do is give him his spot, he built the thing, other than that, first come first serve. People put signs in the blind" Built by so and so, use it if I'm not here, take your trash with you" Some blinds are super nice structures with a boat bay, dog ramp, overhead, doors, benches, gun rack, others are a couple 2x4's and plywood. I hunted the bay for 4 yrs and hunted it hard, 3-4 times a week sometimes twice a day and never ever ever had a dispute over a blind. Best thing to do anyways is a layout or lay on the bank covered up in grass, after a few weeks the birds avoid blinds like crazy.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby AEKDB5 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:48 pm

I used to a blind out on East Matagorda Bay before moving away from the area for awhile. Very nice one...dry, could seat 3 comfy...bench seats, back rest...complete camo from surrounding vegatation. Would hunt it a few days each week..all season long and never had ducks shy away from it. The main key, to my success, to Bay Hunting is a large spread of decoys, I would hunt over about 8 dozen at least. Due to the fact that there is so much water there and so many places for the birds to land, give them an eye shot of a load of ducks hanging out and they come in quickly and feel better about it...never had to do much calling at all...was always out of the hunting blind by 9am with a limit or at least close...then it was time to fish. Only had one encounter with a group of hunters using the blind I built. My blind was clearly marked with a sign like others have posted here..about "built by...etc." The guys that were there setting up tried to tell me and my buddy that they built it recently, not knowing who they were talking to. But after pointing out the facts, they started to pick things up....since it was close to legal shooting time, my buddy and I helped them pick up and even directed them to a spot when know over up the bay a ways that would produce...they were a bit bitchy at first, but we saw them back at the boat dock and they thanked us and showed that they limited out as well. If you have the time, it is always best to built your own out there since there is so much area to do so...just be sure to pin point your spot with a GPS if you have one or just use compass bearings since you will be getting to your spot in the dark...always best to put up reflective markers near your blind to make it easy to spot....the type to puch into the ground so you can remove them when hunting.
AEKDB To Those That Know!!!!!!!
AEKDB5
Newb

Postby Fin&Fowl » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:33 am

I would advise anyone hunting near the bank of any land, to be cautious of the tresspassing laws. Once you exit your boat there are areas that are privately owned even when covered with water ( tidal areas ). Thus making you in violation of the tresspassing laws. Trust me we found out last year in Port Bay in Rockport. Though we did not get in any trouble the light was shed on the facts by the Game Wardens.

Wings Cupped, Feet out, TAKE UM BOYS!
Fin&Fowl
Newb

Postby rab ag » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:55 am

Tidal land is a gray area when bordering private land. If anything within the tide line wasn't considered public land then the state wouldn't be allowed to claim people's beachhouses & waterfront lots after storm surges erode away the land in front of their property(Ask the folks on Bolivar & Galveston). Using that precedent, people can't claim private property of anything that gets wet during high tide - although you might have to argue it in court (and there are some places I know of on the coast that have had to erect purple posts outlining the tide line & therefore the property line after trespassing cases have been tried).
rab ag
Newb

Postby duckcrazy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:58 am

I have hunted trinty bay, Matagorda bay, and a lot of outhers.
In trinty you need a permet to put a blind up in the marsh.
Me and my buddy went to matagoda 2 years ago and were there 2 day.
Limted both day reds, pintals, wigons, teal it was grate.
If you go take your rod i didn't and had red fish in the deks :toofunny:
duckcrazy
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting