peach point

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

peach point

Postby DUCKBAKER » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:12 am

where exactly is it? and how does the hunting work?
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby AEKDB5 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:28 pm

It is located in the Jones Creek area near Freeport on HWY 36. You can go to the Texas Parks & Wildlife webpage to see more about it I am sure, or if you have the APH permit, the map for it will be in the booklet you get. The hunts are open to anyone on Tues, Thurs. and Sat. Registeration starts 2 hours before legal hunting time. The lines are LONG on the weekend but not that bad during the week. There are 38 hunting locations on the property, first come-first served. You show up and get in line(in your car/truck)...when the manager gets there he will pass out numbered cattle ear tags to each hunting party. You will then drive to the registration building and when your number is called you will pick which hunting location you would like to hunt. Drive to the parking areas near your location and walk from 1/2 mile to a mile thru the lands to get to your area...must be checked out by noon. Easy as that. During the week, you should have no problem getting a place to hunt, but on Sat. you better get there early if you wish to hunt that day. The cost is $15 per person unless you are a youth hunter or have the APH permit. Hope that answers your question.
AEKDB To Those That Know!!!!!!!
AEKDB5
Newb

Postby DUCKBAKER » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:46 pm

thanks for the information. is the hunting there any good or is it pretty shot up?
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby AEKDB5 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:53 pm

It all depends what area you hunt and on what day....the birds stay moving alot of the weekends due to the place being so crowded...the last time I went on a Sat. with my nephew, we did not even shoot once due to being right in the middle of a group of hunting areas...the birds that would fly our way would either get flared off by the others or shot....during the weekday I always shoot birds. Going in the morning by myself, with hopes of good hunting....the birds are getting a bit smarter as the season gets on...but if you Hunt the area they call "Big Ridge" the birds are all over the place....last thursday I was out there and had hundreds flying my way...so many that I would be looking one direction and miss seeing some flying in from the other direction...ended up shooting 4 birds that day....the walk out sucked due to all the crap I had to carry...decoys, gun, pack and blind material.....really need to bring some type of cover with you dur to the fact that the vegatation is really not all that high.
AEKDB To Those That Know!!!!!!!
AEKDB5
Newb

Postby Fin&Fowl » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:11 am

You may want to plan on getting there by 1am. The line is very long. The hunting is not all that good and be ready to walk a long ways. There are much better options out there. The walk in Unit of Hines Bay WMA is extremely productive. Easy walk and not to crowded
Fin&Fowl
Newb

Return to Texas Duck Hunting