drought relief???

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

drought relief???

Postby wheaton_iceman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 am

this is not a lake naming thread topic, just curious to solicit feedback and follow-up to the LCRA restrictions for rice farmers and if the recent East of San Antonio flooding might help habitat and lakes down there. North Texas has gotten rain but sporadic on how it is helping some drought areas. The west and plains got decent rain too, correct?

I am fortunate to now travel for work and am looking forward to scouting some marshes and bayous after visiting clients in 3 great waterfowl states. Just have not been able to do the detour trips yet.

Am happy to report two of the mallard hens in my neighborhood ponds hatched full clutches. Also had 4 pairs of BWT stopover for a month up through April . The gadwalls stayed around a little longer in April. Also saw my first stopover Whistling Ducks and hen Ruddy this spring.

States should start announcing season dates, like last July??

Wife wants to plan a Veteran's Day weekend trip, I need to weasel out of that.
wheaton_iceman
hunter

Re: drought relief???

Postby DoubleBayou » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 pm

I know a lot of farmers and hunters on edge about these new limitations from LCRA down in the Bay City/Prairie areas.
It's gonna cost people money!
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:54 am

The lake I hunt has only been maintained at it's current low level. A lot of that rain was wasted over San Antonio. Shure could have helped Medina lake and lots of others around here. Next time I hope.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby portahunter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:36 am

Rains east of San Antonio probably did little to nothing to help rice farmers. The lakes that supply water for the rice farmers near Austin saw little to no improvement with the recent isolated heavy rains. Texas could use a good El Nino winter to help recharge lakes in the state but doesn't look like that is going to happen this year.
portahunter
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting