Beaumont Unit Hunting (Big Thicket)

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Beaumont Unit Hunting (Big Thicket)

Postby TX_Ducks71 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Thinking about duck hunting the Beaumont Unit of the Big Thicket this upcoming season (Right off of Pine Island Bayou). I don't know much about it but if anyone has hunted it in the past, any info about it would be helpful. Thanks! :help:
TX_Ducks71
Newb

Re: Beaumont Unit Hunting (Big Thicket)

Postby txdh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:16 pm

I live about mile from pine island bayou and I always see woodies flying over but never hunted the beaumont unit. I trapped there 2 years ago. I called big thicket and the lady told me the only unit that allows duck hunting was the lance rosier unit. But she may be wrong I would check into it
txdh
hunter

Postby duckhuntguy409 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 am

I hunted the bmt unit last year. Big thicket is good overall for other species but sucks for waterfowl. Reason is that waterfowl was the main reason why I wanted to hunt the big thicket and I asked a lot of questions to the ranger. She basically told me that you have to be 500 ft from any "navigable waterway". Including interior ponds on the bmt unit. When I asked her why her response was bc anybody could drag a kayak 1/2 mile inland just to paddle around a little bit. I said are you serious and she said yep. Basically it sounds like the simply offer pop shots over your head at passing ducks instead of allowing you to hunt the banks of the river and bayou. Thats my take on it.
duckhuntguy409
hunter

Postby txdh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:30 pm

That's why I never tried to hunt it because of the 500 foot rule
txdh
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting