Boat Question

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Boat Question

Postby cutm Jack » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 am

I was curious what boats you guys are running in the rivers and lakes in Central Texas and what kind would be the most versatile for both? What is the the average water depth in the Colorado river and most of the lakes? I have a 10hp and 25hp prop and don't want to rip a lower unit off. Thanks for the replies PMs welcome.
cutm Jack
hunter

Re: Boat Question

Postby L0ngh0rn30 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 pm

As long as you're not running a lake that has a bunch of stumps or really big/choppy water, a good 'ol jon boat is the best of both worlds. Stay somewhere between a 1542 and a 1748 / 1754. Anything larger than that and it's hard to maneuver in tight places or get turned around. Especially if you drive a longtail.
L0ngh0rn30
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:37 pm

It might be worth mentioning that you should REALLY do your homework before launching with the intent to hunt on the river, especially that one. You might land yourself in jail if you're not very careful and/or don't have private riparian access to the river.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby L0ngh0rn30 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Keep it between the trees and hunt the sandbars. Keep your barrel pointed up or down river and you should be good :thumbsup:

To answer your question about depth, it's too broad of a question to answer for lakes. The better question would be how shallow does the river get. In some places you'll run across sand bars that are several hundred feet long with a skim of water over the top. Only way you're getting across them is with an airboat or a boat with an anchor winch. Try to chew across them with a surface drive and/or longtail and you'll be buying a new props often. The sand will wear them down quick.
L0ngh0rn30
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:00 pm

So with regards to hunting the river is it legal to be in the river even though its bordered by private property? Where i'm coming from you can hunt on the shore as long as you don't go past the high water mark. I'm guessing Texas is not the same???
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 am

cutm Jack wrote:So with regards to hunting the river is it legal to be in the river even though its bordered by private property? Where i'm coming from you can hunt on the shore as long as you don't go past the high water mark. I'm guessing Texas is not the same???

Yes but you have to watch where you shoot.

Shot crossing onto private property is illegal as is birds falling. If a bird falls you are stuck with either trespassing or want & waste.

Pick your poison
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby L0ngh0rn30 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm

cutm Jack wrote:So with regards to hunting the river is it legal to be in the river even though its bordered by private property?

Yes, it is legal.

cutm Jack wrote:Where i'm coming from you can hunt on the shore as long as you don't go past the high water mark. I'm guessing Texas is not the same???

If it's not wet all the way around you then you are trespassing. If you are sitting on the shore, high water mark or not, and you don't own the property then you are trespassing. Your shot also cannot fall on private property. As another poster has indicated, if your game falls on property you do not own you either risk trespassing to get it or failure to retrieve game that is down. Take only quality shots up or down the river. Don't get cute.
L0ngh0rn30
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Dang this river hunting seems a little tricky.. Think i'll stick to the less complicated private property and large lakes lol
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting