Duck Hunting Forum banner

Boat Question

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Indiancreekducks87 
#1 ·
As long as you're not running a lake that has a bunch of stumps or really big/choppy water, a good 'ol jon boat is the best of both worlds. Stay somewhere between a 1542 and a 1748 / 1754. Anything larger than that and it's hard to maneuver in tight places or get turned around. Especially if you drive a longtail.

#3 ·
Keep it between the trees and hunt the sandbars. Keep your barrel pointed up or down river and you should be good :thumbsup:

To answer your question about depth, it's too broad of a question to answer for lakes. The better question would be how shallow does the river get. In some places you'll run across sand bars that are several hundred feet long with a skim of water over the top. Only way you're getting across them is with an airboat or a boat with an anchor winch. Try to chew across them with a surface drive and/or longtail and you'll be buying a new props often. The sand will wear them down quick.

#4 ·
cutm Jack said:
So with regards to hunting the river is it legal to be in the river even though its bordered by private property? Where i'm coming from you can hunt on the shore as long as you don't go past the high water mark. I'm guessing Texas is not the same???
Yes but you have to watch where you shoot.

Shot crossing onto private property is illegal as is birds falling. If a bird falls you are stuck with either trespassing or want & waste.

Pick your poison

#5 ·
cutm Jack said:
So with regards to hunting the river is it legal to be in the river even though its bordered by private property?
Yes, it is legal.

cutm Jack said:
Where i'm coming from you can hunt on the shore as long as you don't go past the high water mark. I'm guessing Texas is not the same???
If it's not wet all the way around you then you are trespassing. If you are sitting on the shore, high water mark or not, and you don't own the property then you are trespassing. Your shot also cannot fall on private property. As another poster has indicated, if your game falls on property you do not own you either risk trespassing to get it or failure to retrieve game that is down. Take only quality shots up or down the river. Don't get cute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.