Need Advice on Scouting

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Need Advice on Scouting

Postby McLintock! » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Howdy -

I am 100% new to the sport of duck hunting and need some advice on getting started. I want to get out and do some scouting on my own but only have a kayak and want to make sure my efforts are not wasted on some enormous lake that I won't be able to effectively hunt on in a kayak.

Can anyone provide some general advice on which North Texas lakes may be a good place for me to start? Any and all advice is welcome. What are y'alls thoughts on the below:

-Eagle Mountain
-Lake Arrowhead
-Lake Bridgeport
-Hubbard Reservoir
-Lake Fork
-Lake Tawakoni

River hunting also strikes me as a helluva good time but from what I gathered on these threads that is a thing of the past due to land owners making things difficult. Are there some more remote areas worth looking into?

Looking forward to hearing form some folks!
Last edited by McLintock! on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McLintock!
Newb

Re: Scouting DFW Area Lakes via Kayak

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:52 pm

To be honest boss, you probably won't get a whole lot of information on this subject here. It's kinda frowned upon to ask about a specific lake and since it was your very first post that doesn't help either. Stick around and get to know some people here and you will find they can be very helpful and pretty good people. Also, look up the local warden and talk to he/she. They can supply you with a lot of info and can answer any questions you have.

Welcome!

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Advice on Scouting for beginners

Postby McLintock! » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Let's try this again...

I have never duck hunted before but would like to start preparing for my first season. What basic scouting advice can y'all provide for a newbie?

Should I get out on the water and pay more attention to the characteristics of the water? i.e. coves, cattails etc OR should I be looking more for the occasional bird flying by?

In short what do you look for when you scout? Do you look for different things as the season gets closer?
McLintock!
Newb

Re: Need Advice on Scouting

Postby tako1972 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Hello and welcome. The response you got from your first post was pretty typical but maybe it's best you got it out of the way. probably the worst question to ask here is where can I go kill ducks.
That aside your second post in my opinion was probably more like a question folks here would be willing to help you on. Congratulations, you have chosen to participate in a sport that is equipment intensive, hard on your body, time and family and requires an understanding of a multitude of field crafts. Waterfowl hunters are unlike any other hunters you may know but for me and some guys on here there just isn't anything better.
To try and answer your questions briefly and get you started we can go to the basics of hunting any animal. Animals want a few things and a few things only, they could care less about an iPhone . Animals want food, shelter(habitat, cover, security), and to reproduce. Find food and habitat and you will find ducks. If you stick with it you can look at a piece of earth and be able to tell if it will attract and hold ducks. You will constantly hear from veteran hunters of all animals to hunt food and cover. Even fish, don't know if you fish or not but it's the same principal. I can't stress this enough. Ask yourself,Do you have water? O.k , is there food and shelter available etc. etc. . From there you can build .
I would also pick up a book and learn about why when and how birds migrate. You will become intimately aware of the weather not only for your immediate area but the weather of all states to the north of us to Canada. You will curse warm spells in December and welcome cold fronts from the north like a old drinking buddy.There really is no short answer to your questions on how to scout but I hope I helped in some way. There are a lot of good people here and I'm sure you will get more help, advice and opinions on any method options that there are but just not very many location recommendations. If I can help you further you can send me a message as well. Good luck to you man, this is an amazing sport.
tako1972
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:40 pm

I forgot to add one thing . I disagree with asking a game warden about where and how to find ducks. If you are ever going to get better you have to know about ducks plain and simple. Some wardens may very well tell you where they have been killing a bunch of ducks but that's not the point. Get your truck tuned up , put a weather app on your smart phone, practice shooting and learn about birds. You will find success. :thumbsup:
tako1972
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 am

If I was paddling a boat. I would wait and scout when the ducks are here.
Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby McLintock! » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:32 pm

The insight is very much appreciated.

I can appreciate the passion everyone on this forums has for water fowling and the outdoors in general. I think I'll stick around.
McLintock!
Newb

Postby PC76 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:32 am

Id help ya if I could but I wont be moving to North TX until Feb. Until them I have one more season to enjoy in Arkansas and from what I hear I may be disappointed in the hunting in TX. That being said if your still in the game come Feb get in touch wih me. Scouting after season before all the birds pick up and leave can be very beneficial IMO.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD
PC76
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Hold up till some birds come down. Unless your out just looking for possible areas that might hold birds, food sources, or planning your courses. A lot can change between now and the opener. Possibly 10" of rain :rolleyes: then every thing will change. I scout for ducks a week ahead and the day before each hunt. A lot can change in a day or two.
Barney#1
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting