which is better to support delta ducks or du

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

which is better to support delta ducks or du

Postby DUCKBAKER » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:11 pm

im conffused on which conservation organization to support. which does more work in texas. i know both help and i would love to get both but i cant afford it.
DUCKBAKER
hunter

Postby champion duck slayer » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:08 pm

dont know really I support delta waterfowl I attend there local banquets around north east texas have'nt nither of them help me I have about 50 acres that could be floded just need a litle extra help Ive called the head guy thats in charge and none of them seam to even care but I guess my money is going to a good cause to build more refuge land up north so the ducks will have a place to feed and stay up north longer but Owell life gose on.
IF IT FLYS IT DIES IF IT DONT FLY IT DIES ANYWAY
champion duck slayer
hunter

how to chose

Postby texas_quackwakker » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:25 am

That one is a tuffy, I belong to DU, why, because it was the popular thing to do I guess. That is about the best answer. I don't know if they do as much as they claim but I guess I feel like I am helping, as pathetic as that sounds. As far as Delta Waterfowl. I don't know.

The best advice is to call their regional chairperson and ask what have they done for the ducks in your area. Come to think about it, I think I will do the same.

I agree with champion...seems like a small group enjoys the financial benefit of many. The local banquet should go to project in the region they are held. If not, where the heck does that money go...New York City??? :pissed:
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:07 pm

NEW YORK CITY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

.........get a rope.

just kidding. I'm a member of Ducks Unlimited as well. Haven't really heard that much about Delta. Doesn't appear as though Delta has much going on in this area, but I may just not be aware of what they are doing around here.
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby easttexasduckhunter » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:16 pm

I dont support either one. Ducks Unlimited is really bad about creating thoes havens for ducks and the rich folks to hunt thoes places. All the ducks go to where they know they wont be shot at as much and the poor folks aint got no ducks to shoot at on the public lakes :pissed: Ive heard delta has done some good but i still dont support them.
easttexasduckhunter
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:19 pm

I have a general membership for DU & have been a member for many years. Since DU changed their mission statement there have been many a raised eyebrow their way. Du has the Corperate Sponsor, licensing, etc down to a fund raisin' machine. I believe that they are losin' the common man one by one. DU is all about habit... not hunting anymore. :umm:

I am also a Committeeman for Delta Waterfowl... Delta is the way to go. Delta see's huntin' as a valuable conservation tool & is very pro-hunter. I could go on & on here. :yes:

Check out Delta's website @ www.Deltawaterfowl.org :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby MaxD » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:22 pm

Go ahead and send your money to DU and Delta.There is a plus you get a magazine each month with cool pictures and some helpful tips,but that is all that the two org. do for duck hunting in Texas...........I do it .....one time I talked to a DU rep. and ask him "all your conservation is up north ,doesnt that stop some ducks from flyin' so far south? He said I quote::: No just the mallards................I said good I hate shooting mallards...........DUH....
MaxD
hunter

Postby had » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:39 am

I said good I hate shooting mallards.
:toofunny: :toofunny:
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby mallard mangler » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:00 pm

I'm new here on the block, but I guess I'll jump right into the middle of this discussion.

I am a member of DU and Delta. I am the chairman for the Lone Star Chapter of Delta Waterfowl (Hunt County area). I am and will continue to remain a member of both organizations.

DU spends more money in Texas. Delta spends it's money in the Prairie Pothole Region. This is why I am more active with Delta. I want my money spent where the ducks are produced, not where the ducks are shot. I also support predator management which is an aggressive issue of Delta's.

Many folks have been turned off by DU as of recent years and understandably so, but you must know that most of the DU biologists are former Delta students and all of Delta's directors are life members of DU. It really should not be considered an either or scenario. Delta has been around longer than DU but DU has done far more habitat work in the past.

I heard it put in an easy to understand scenario once. "If you go into surgery, who do you need for success the surgeon or the anesthesiologist?"

We need both. You need to belong to and support both.
"I do not hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted"
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Postby txnduckhntr » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:10 pm

:salude: NEITHER SAVE YOUR HARD EARNED CASH FOR 2.50 GAS AND SHELLS,
txnduckhntr
Newb

Postby mallard mangler » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:01 am

Nice first post. Yous ave your hard earned cash while the rest of us use ours to support the programs that keep birds in YOUR decoys. The few carrying the load for the rest. Some things will never change.

I am not spending my hard earned money and volunteering my time so that I can shoot more ducks. I am doing it so that my kids can inherit the fruits of my labor. If they grow up to be responsible hunters and conservationists with the hunting opportunities that have been afforded to me, I will feel like I have done my job.....despite people like you
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Postby txnduckhntr » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:37 pm

first of all i do not appreciate being critcized by one of the rich people who benefit for all of poor fellows sending cash to either of the 2 orgs. you don't know me and and i don't know you, nor do i wish to, but we all are entitled to our own opinion aren't we, i spoke mine and you spoke yours, so let sleeping dogs lie.
second of all, if you are hinting that i don't do my part, well trhen sir you are sadly mistaken. i too volunteer and do things to conserve watersheds and fowl, as well as habitat for all species, i just like you do in your so called organization, i just call my hunting buddies, who all 3 happen to be either wardens or state biologist, and ask them what i can do. you guys would be surprised how many people you can help improve their habitat on their property by making a few phone calls to a local biologist or warden. lots of plain folks like myself own property that is deserving, and together us simple people get it done without TV shows, over paid lobbyists, and crooked corporate offices. thats what your money you send in goes to. if you could provide me with a break down schematic of what percentage of every dollar yall take in is spent on waterfowl projects, i would gladly eat me words and donate some of my cash to the organization of your choice, but i doubt that information is available, and if it is i would almost bet the ranch that it is not more than 40 cents per dollar. any other comments can be addressed either to my personal address or posted on this site. :laughing:
txnduckhntr
Newb

Postby mallard mangler » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:05 pm

first of all i do not appreciate being critcized by one of the rich people who benefit for all of poor fellows sending cash to either of the 2 orgs.

Since when did anyone here claim to be rich? Look, if a fella can afford to buy these high dollar shells we shoot he can afford to send a few bucks to an organization that supports waterfowl. No modern day hunter is that poor. So please don't give me the poor boy excuse

i just call my hunting buddies, who all 3 happen to be either wardens or state biologist, and ask them what i can do. you guys would be surprised how many people you can help improve their habitat on their property by making a few phone calls to a local biologist or warden. lots of plain folks like myself own property that is deserving, and together us simple people get it done without TV shows, over paid lobbyists, and crooked corporate offices.

This is exactly why I send money to Delta. Because people want to spend money on THEIR land rather than in the Prairie Pothole Region where ducks are produced. YOUR habitat work done on YOUR property does not directly help to hatch more ducks.

if you could provide me with a break down schematic of what percentage of every dollar yall take in is spent on waterfowl projects, i would gladly eat me words and donate some of my cash to the organization of your choice, but i doubt that information is available, and if it is i would almost bet the ranch that it is not more than 40 cents per dollar.

I'll let you choose which one you make the check out to
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Postby txnduckhntr » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:36 pm

well kind sir, DU it is, their rating was better.
i still wont join, but i am sure they will take a check for a gift, non tax deductible of course is how i prefer it. if you could tell where to send it as a gift i would appreciate it.
i am not a poor boy, but i did not get rich by supportting every chariable org that comes along, but since i said i would send money i will, as i am a man of my word.
i am sorry that we are now enemies, but such is life, can't please every body, especially when opinions are involved. some people are different in their value system. i suppose we are 2 of those people. enough said, we both hunt and probably fish, so no hard feelings.
got to run, going to go break the levy on a flooded fallow peanut field in southern palo pinto county. was keeping it flooded cause we had several pair of mottled ducks that looked as if they wanted to resident there. but they left with the last cold front easter weekend. maybe bthey will go south where they belong and raise some babies so i can eat them in a few years.
by the way, i am using my own cat dozer, my own diesel, and my own labor to do all this, you reckon that qualifies me as a charity?
txnduckhntr
Newb

Postby mallard mangler » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:52 pm

if you could tell where to send it as a gift i would appreciate it.

Select cash donation

i am sorry that we are now enemies, but such is life, can't please every body, especially when opinions are involved

I do not consider you an enemy...I don't even know you. I do consider your opinions on waterfowl conservation and your unwillingness to support it monetarily to be totally off base but that does not mean that I consider you an enemy.

by the way, i am using my own cat dozer, my own diesel, and my own labor to do all this, you reckon that qualifies me as a charity?

If you are doing it on a refuge or on public property then I guess your work would be considered charitable. Otherwise, I would consider that maintenance on your hunting spot.

Have a good day and thank you for supporting DU :thumbsup:
Jose Ortega y Gasset

www.texasdelta.org
mallard mangler
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:14 pm

txnduckhunter I commend you on your personal efforts... many of us have done similar things & continue to do so.

I have a better proposition for you to consider.

I'm a Committeeman for the Lonestar Chapter of Delta Waterfowl, you can send me your check & I promise you that those hard earned $$$ will be well spent, you can even chose which program you would like to participate in.

Adopt A Pothole

Voluntary Restaint

Hen Houses

Predator Management

Heritage Fund (youth)

Event Underwriter

I will also ensure that you can participate in whatever capacity you would like to at anyone of our events, kids day, youth hunt, shoot, etc.

All of us are just hard workin' stiffs with families too. The only way we benefit for our efforts is to try to ensure that there are ducks for us all for years to come.
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby txnduckhntr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:21 pm

i dont want nor need a tax deduction nor write off. Quackephous, i would be glad to write you a check, but as i work all the time i do not think i would be much help in your activities, as much as i would like i do not see it being possible. i would like to send a check for youth education, is it possible to specify that on my check? i see you as being genuine in your organization and i respect that. let me know by my personal addy at "txnduckhntr@yahoo.com" and i will send it where it needs to go. as a father of 2 young boys, i think the youth need all the help they can get these days. i would even volunteer to help on youth hunts, cause regardless how my opinion came across, i am a duck and goose hunter and i spend more mornings watching waterfowl than i do hunting them. i am located near lake proctor and have several peanut fields i lease that i flood every year, with my own money, that kids would have a field day hunting on. let me know by my e mail and i will send the check and all my contact info.
sincerly
glen
txnduckhntr
Newb

A BIG thanks Glen!!!

Postby Quackcephus » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:07 pm

An e-mail is headed your way. I assure you that your "donation" will be well spent. I'm looking forward to talkin' with you further. :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:49 pm

DU....Member.
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:43 pm

TTT
Quackcephus
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting