Austin Duck Hunters

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Austin Duck Hunters

Postby dabuster » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:15 pm

who hunts out of Austin ?
dabuster
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: dripping springs


Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby dabuster » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Looking for some new people to hunt with from the Austin area.
dabuster
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: dripping springs

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby :-) » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:32 pm

I didn't think people in Austin owned guns. Lol You're in a unique situation...lots of water, and no ducks.

Best bet would be find a guide to your east or west...if you make friends with a rancher you could hunt their ponds. The lakes around you don't really offer the ducks anything to make them want to hang around.
User avatar
:-)
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby Fairhunt1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:36 pm

dabuster,
See you are in Drippin, not for away , I am in Driftwood. Just got back into it last year.

As far as no ducks around Austin, the river always holds lots of ducks but I havent gotten into the river hunting yet . I hunted some ranch ponds this year and as always was really good especially late. Lots of ducks around Lagrange and Lockhart.
Problem is not sure if Im going to have those ponds available this season so I am looking for more south and east.

I am headed to a retreiver trainer dove tune up Sat in Paige and we will be shooting some live birds for the dogs.
Fairhunt1
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby lonestar_shawn » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:40 am

I'm in Buda. I've never hunted ducks before. I grew up hunting doves, deer, and occasionally quail. I just got a new dog and started thinking about duck hunting for the first time. I've been trying to find a place but may just go with a guide for the first time since I know nothing about calling, decoys, in flight identification, etc.
lonestar_shawn
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:35 am

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby Mallard06 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 am

PLENTY of ducks and hunting on the Colorado River in and around Austin.

Had a buddy last year that slayed them every weekend.

Trick is getting access through someone's land and making sure you are in a legal spot to hunt. I cant help with either of those.

But don't be fooled, there are thousands of ducks on the Colorado.
1754 Excel SW F4 / Mud Buddy Black Death 4200
Image
Mallard06
hunter
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Texas baby!

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby CaliDukks » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:42 am

I just moved to Austin to start work with the city. Been trying to figure out the whole duck hunting situation out here. I guess to the untrained it looks as though there is none.
Nothing like what I'm used to on the pacific flyway, that's for sure.

I'm looking for new hunting buddies this year, don't know much about the area except for what I've seen of public lands, but I've been fowlin' for about 14 years now. Definitely don't want to stop now.

Cheers guys, hope y'all got into some dove today.
"Love God, and hunt ducks. And let the chips fall where they may."---Phil Robertson

Proud Contributor to the Sportsmens Legacy Foundation
User avatar
CaliDukks
hunter
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 pm

:-) wrote:I didn't think people in Austin owned guns. Lol You're in a unique situation...lots of water, and no ducks.

Lake Travis would beg to differ.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9290
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby :-) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:13 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:
:-) wrote:I didn't think people in Austin owned guns. Lol You're in a unique situation...lots of water, and no ducks.

Lake Travis would beg to differ.


Looks like I have a new place to try out then...between your lake and the river mentioned in the other post I should be able to put a limit together. I'm sure there are some city parks that hold a few ducks and geese also...

Don't take everything to heart. Sometimes people are just joking around. Now I know why they say Austin is "The Land of Fruits and Nuts, and the city slogan is Keep Austin Weird.

Good luck hunting, and don't shoot the pet ducks. Lol I'm just joking again.

Happy hunting...y'all are always welcome to shoot me a PM, and try to put a hunt together. Never take my comments personal...talking about someone's hunting location is as bad as talking bad about their dog. I apologize if my comment upset anyone.
User avatar
:-)
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:26 pm

I was joking about lake Travis. Google some images of it this summer and its depressing. Pretty sure it doesn't allow hunting either
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9290
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:00 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:I was joking about lake Travis. Google some images of it this summer and its depressing. Pretty sure it doesn't allow hunting either

Yea i was there a few weeks ago and we were driveing the truck around the no wake zone bouys and still had to go down the hill another 50' or so to get to the water. The houses on the other side of the lake had a good 150-200' drop off to the water
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
User avatar
Duck Collector
hunter
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: H Town

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Duck Collector wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:I was joking about lake Travis. Google some images of it this summer and its depressing. Pretty sure it doesn't allow hunting either

Yea i was there a few weeks ago and we were driveing the truck around the no wake zone bouys and still had to go down the hill another 50' or so to get to the water. The houses on the other side of the lake had a good 150-200' drop off to the water

Carlos N Charlies is closing. They haven't had a boat park at their marina in like 3 years. Lake Travis is now 32 percent full and still dropping
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9290
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:44 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:I was joking about lake Travis. Google some images of it this summer and its depressing. Pretty sure it doesn't allow hunting either

Yea i was there a few weeks ago and we were driveing the truck around the no wake zone bouys and still had to go down the hill another 50' or so to get to the water. The houses on the other side of the lake had a good 150-200' drop off to the water

Carlos N Charlies is closing. They haven't had a boat park at their marina in like 3 years. Lake Travis is now 32 percent full and still dropping

I went to the pace bend park? I think is what it was called and their thingy said the levels are like less than 20' from the all time low back in like 1950 somethin.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
User avatar
Duck Collector
hunter
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: H Town

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby :-) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:I was joking about lake Travis. Google some images of it this summer and its depressing. Pretty sure it doesn't allow hunting either


It's a real problem everywhere...we need a couple tropical storms to come in south of Corpus, and drop a couple feet of water on our state. Otherwise we will have to go hunt in Mexico.

Lake Corpus Christi and Choke Canyon are at 33% combined. Ramps have been closed on Lake CC so long they opened the state park up to oilfield workers. Lol

On the Lake Travis hunting comment. I've been there several times...that's why I suggested you not shoot the tame ducks. Glad to know that there are people on this site that can joke around. Y'all get tired of chasing those white ducks let me know...I may a have a few to share.
User avatar
:-)
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:17 pm

:-) wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:I was joking about lake Travis. Google some images of it this summer and its depressing. Pretty sure it doesn't allow hunting either


It's a real problem everywhere...we need a couple tropical storms to come in south of Corpus, and drop a couple feet of water on our state. Otherwise we will have to go hunt in Mexico.

Lake Corpus Christi and Choke Canyon are at 33% combined. Ramps have been closed on Lake CC so long they opened the state park up to oilfield workers. Lol

On the Lake Travis hunting comment. I've been there several times...that's why I suggested you not shoot the tame ducks. Glad to know that there are people on this site that can joke around. Y'all get tired of chasing those white ducks let me know...I may a have a few to share.

Now I have no choice but to ban you
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9290
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby :-) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Dang it...there I go getting myself in trouble again. Will I be banned for life, or just a few weeks? Oh well, that'll give me a chance to get a better username anyway. Maybe <'))>< ><(('>J or possibly I\___( •)>


I'll be praying for rain...I wish y'all the best of luck this season!
User avatar
:-)
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby TexasPublicDucks » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 am

I've got no advice for those of you to the south and west of the city, but I live up in Round Rock, and Granger Lake is only about a 40 minute drive for me. Been huntin' ducks out there for the last 5 seasons, and though it's rarely a slammer, I always come away with a decent mixed bag. Lots of teal, gads, bluebills, shovelers, and pintails. We've taken the odd mallard, widgeon, woodie, and bufflehead as well.

Public land obviously brings special challenges, but it's a big lake with lots of areas to explore. Water levels are holding nicely at this point. The north end of the lake looked like a launch pad for squadrons of teal when we were out dove hunting this weekend.



www.risetomanhood.com
TexasPublicDucks
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:47 am

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 am

TexasPublicDucks wrote:I've got no advice for those of you to the south and west of the city, but I live up in Round Rock, and Granger Lake is only about a 40 minute drive for me. Been huntin' ducks out there for the last 5 seasons, and though it's rarely a slammer, I always come away with a decent mixed bag. Lots of teal, gads, bluebills, shovelers, and pintails. We've taken the odd mallard, widgeon, woodie, and bufflehead as well.

Public land obviously brings special challenges, but it's a big lake with lots of areas to explore. Water levels are holding nicely at this point. The north end of the lake looked like a launch pad for squadrons of teal when we were out dove hunting this weekend.



http://www.risetomanhood.com


Really, we were just discussing having to find a new place to hunt. I've never hunted Granger Lake...what's the best method for getting out to where the ducks are? Would you suggest kayak, jon boat, airboat, or mud boat? I'd like to do some scouting, and don't want to bring the wrong tools for the job.

Also, is there much hunting pressure? :)
User avatar
:-)
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:04 pm

:-) wrote:
TexasPublicDucks wrote:I've got no advice for those of you to the south and west of the city, but I live up in Round Rock, and Granger Lake is only about a 40 minute drive for me. Been huntin' ducks out there for the last 5 seasons, and though it's rarely a slammer, I always come away with a decent mixed bag. Lots of teal, gads, bluebills, shovelers, and pintails. We've taken the odd mallard, widgeon, woodie, and bufflehead as well.

Public land obviously brings special challenges, but it's a big lake with lots of areas to explore. Water levels are holding nicely at this point. The north end of the lake looked like a launch pad for squadrons of teal when we were out dove hunting this weekend.



http://www.risetomanhood.com


Really, we were just discussing having to find a new place to hunt. I've never hunted Granger Lake...what's the best method for getting out to where the ducks are? Would you suggest kayak, jon boat, airboat, or mud boat? I'd like to do some scouting, and don't want to bring the wrong tools for the job.

Also, is there much hunting pressure? :)

You're doing it wrong. You need to ask for spots so you don't have to scout.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9290
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:22 pm

I know...you should've just waited to see if he would answer me. Now I'll have to send him a PM, and report back to y'all.

To be 100% honest when he said it looked like a landing field for teal I did look at hotel rates in the area. I've got a ton of hotel points saved up, 5 weeks of vacation, and a tank full of gas. I'm always open to a road trip.
User avatar
:-)
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:46 pm

:-) wrote:I know...you should've just waited to see if he would answer me. Now I'll have to send him a PM, and report back to y'all.

To be 100% honest when he said it looked like a landing field for teal I did look at hotel rates in the area. I've got a ton of hotel points saved up, 5 weeks of vacation, and a tank full of gas. I'm always open to a road trip.

You've never seen where the lake is located. Don't think there is one in close proximity
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9290
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:12 pm

I could stay at the BestWestern in Taylor...it's only 12 miles away.

Your never gonna win this battle. I was being stupid this past weekend, and ended up in the ER. A deer stand kicked by butt and stabbed me in the foot. Now I can't walk for a few days, and don't have anything better to do that stir up trouble on this forum.

It's amazing how bored a person can get when forced to lay around all day.
User avatar
:-)
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby dabuster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Ok What I was asking was who hunts that lives in Austin, not where to hunt or if you want to hunt Lake Travis...Looking for people to hunt with .
:oops:
dabuster
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: dripping springs

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby Fairhunt1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:08 pm

dabuster,
PM me , if I can come up with a new place I'd be glad for some company, the dog doesnt talk much just gives dirty looks if I miss a few.
Fairhunt1
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Austin Duck Hunters

Postby BillyBlanks » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I recently moved to Austin from New England. If you're interested in getting together for a hunt, let me know.

Bill
BillyBlanks
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:03 am

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests