Lake Bardwell/ aka coot city

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Lake Bardwell/ aka coot city

Postby texas_quackwakker » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:08 am

As any residents of the D/FW area know...we experienced some pretty cold weather today....I decided to go out to Lake Bardwell and give it a shot, ( no pun intended) man, I had a blast...the coots that are normally very wary of ANY movement were all over the place.

I just threw on some hip wader and a dozen bluebill dekes and that was all it took....I know that coots are not the most glorious species to hunt but I had a blast. First time I ever shot a limit of them (15).

I have a new appreciation for them. Any body up for some coot hunting, let me know.

Happy Holidays

:salude:
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:13 pm

If the ducks aren't flying, (or they are flying and just like our setup), once boredom sets in we usually have to pop one or two of them. Can't say I've ever targeted coots only. How do they taste? I've talked to one guy that says he loves 'em. Cooked on the pit. I didn't hold too much stock in his opinion though, since an old tennis shoe would probably taste good when prepared correctly on the pit. :toofunny:
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

eating coots

Postby texas_quackwakker » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:33 pm

I will be honest...coots are not that good usually. Best to put them in som gumbo. They are pretty good that way. I beleive if you shoot it you should eat it so that's what I do.

On a much better note...I went out this morning (Thursday Dec 23 and saw a small group of Mallards...FINALLY!

To most of you guys this may not be a big deal but I dont mind admitting that I have yet to kill a Mallard duck in 8 years of Duck Hunting.

Cant wait to go again in the morning....any takers?
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:37 am

I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. Cause, I've been hunting for about 10 years and have only taken one. Most of what we take are Teal, Widgeon, Gadwall, Northern Shovelors and on occasion a Redhead.

Had too much going on this weekend with Christmas an all, plus a 6 month old son to get out in the field. It was killing me to. Woukld have loved to be out in the marsh with the snow on the ground
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SupermagSlick » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:14 pm

I have been hunting ducks for three years, and I have not taken a Mallard-just a few blue bills on the east coast, and a Gadwall and a couple mergansers here in Tx. Have seen tons of them, just not swooping into my decoys. Hey Texas Quacker-where is Lake Bardwell? I live in Dallas, and i'm looking for places to hunt next season.
SupermagSlick
hunter

Postby texas_quackwakker » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:26 am

Lake Bardwell is located 30 miles south of the Big D, just outside of Ennis, Tx. Easily accesible by foot or boat and has some pretty good hunting for public water. Send me a message and maybe I can give more info.

Sam
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Postby TWFIII » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:21 am

I havent had really good luck on killin mallards in the past few years, but this year I hunted Lake Aquilla near Hillsboro and shot more mallards in three days of hunting than I have ever seen in my life. I even got one with some jewelry on his foot. It is a tough lake to navigate in the dark because there is no boat lanes and about 90% of the lake is stumps (thank God for Stainless Steel Props). I have not tried it but I think you could walk across the lake on the stumps. I put in at the boat ramp and had about a 1 1/2 mile trip to the north end of the lake in broad daylight and it took 1 1/2 hours.
TWFIII
Newb

Return to Texas Duck Hunting