Call me crazy

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Re: Call me crazy

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Im going to open up a new thread on this idea, maybe a mod can make it a sticky?
Clean up day...I would not be able to make it due to it having to be on short notice with work, weather and all, but my oldest is out there more than i am and knows the area way better than most people so i'll send him out to help. He wont be able to go where air boats can get but everything else should be able to get to with the surface drive.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Duck Collector wrote:Im going to open up a new thread on this idea, maybe a mod can make it a sticky?
Clean up day...I would not be able to make it due to it having to be on short notice with work, weather and all, but my oldest is out there more than i am and knows the area way better than most people so i'll send him out to help. He wont be able to go where air boats can get but everything else should be able to get to with the surface drive.

Great idea.

Maybe your son could pull an old open hull jon boat behind his boat so that there's less running back to the ramp to unload. I've got some guys in our Houston office that I could get to run the debris from the ramp to the dump. We could also have a fish dinner for all of the volunteers...free food in the south is as good as cash!

Friends of Anahuac Refuge may be able to lend a hand...if nothing elsenthey could possibly help with logistics. They may have access to dumpsters, or have a location to get rid of debris without having to pay a ton of fees to the local dump.
:-)
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:27 pm

:-) wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:Im going to open up a new thread on this idea, maybe a mod can make it a sticky?

Great idea.

Maybe your son could pull an old open hull jon boat behind his boat so that there's less running back to the ramp to unload. I've got some guys in our Houston office that I could get to run the debris from the ramp to the dump. We could also have a fish dinner for all of the volunteers...free food in the south is as good as cash!

Friends of Anahuac Refuge may be able to lend a hand...if nothing elsenthey could possibly help with logistics. They may have access to dumpsters, or have a location to get rid of debris without having to pay a ton of fees to the local dump.

Got a jon boat to pull? I dont have one
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:13 pm

I can come up something I'm sure...if nothing else I have a 23' bay boat that has an open floor.
:-)
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:19 pm

:-) wrote:I can come up something I'm sure...if nothing else I have a 23' bay boat that has an open floor.

Posted up the new thread
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm

I dont know if the AMOUNT of debris would be that bad. Most of the duck blinds are just 2x4s and 4x4s that once you cut flush would only be about 3-4 feet in length. Probably 6-8 posts per blind....

I don't know if it would be possible to clean up the hurricane debris. You are talking about tons upon tons upon tons of that stuff. There are lots of submerged logs that you wont be able to do anything about either. Maybe mark them? Maybe even mark the deep cuts better (somebody has been running over and breaking some of the markers this summer). Most of those cuts are lined with submerged logs, so as soon as you get out of the channel, it could be a big Uh Oh.

Now, there are some blinds that get kept up out there year after year. I would not want to mess with those. I figure in February, you should be able to tell pretty easy which blinds got used in the 2013-14 season.

I always approach from the bay side, so there will need to be some folks that enter from the marsh side in order to help navigate. My rig can only run in a foot of water and I dont like to venture in much farther than that, but I know there are PLENTY up in there that are accessed from the marsh, probably alot more than accessed from the bay. Thats scary. lol

My boat goes up for sale when the North split starts, so I am not sure if my next rig will be purchased by February. Have gloves and chainsaw though.
justinsfa
hunter

Previous

Return to Texas Duck Hunting