Visiting Amarillo & would like to Duck hunt

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Visiting Amarillo & would like to Duck hunt

Postby LosPatosDelSur » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:44 am

Hey guys,

I will be in Amarillo Nov 27 - Dec 1 visiting my grandparents. I would like to get in a day or two of duck hunting if possible. I have chased ducks for years in NM and figured I would like to try and broaden my horizons as it were. I have done a little research and found that public land is scarce, private land is expensive to hunt short term if its not already leased, and guides are out of a college and family guy's price range as well...... This is only my take on it though. So, I would like to ask if anyone who may read this has any helpful insights here?

Thank you in advance for your time and help in the matter.
LosPatosDelSur
Newb

Re: Visiting Amarillo & would like to Duck hunt

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Unfortunately 20 years ago you could have had an amazing hunt. Water doesn't exist up there.
Pouledeau
hunter

Re: Visiting Amarillo & would like to Duck hunt

Postby SATX duckman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:18 am

I dont know of any specific spots but I would aim a little further south. I went to school at Tx Tech and the playa lakes in that town would be covered with canada geese. Shouldnt be to hard to find someone who planted maze or a late corn crop to let you on their property. See if you can find places that had their cotton crops hailed out and you will have better luck finding people that had to plant corn.
Good luck
SATX duckman
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting