Cinnimon?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Cinnimon?

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Killed these today.....thinking i got a cinnimon in there with all the blue wings Image bird on bottom leftImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Re: Cinnimon?

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Looks pretty red to me, hard to tell though. Did he have red eyes?

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:08 pm

According to the science guys, the only way to tell the difference in eclipse plumage is by measuring the dimensions of the body and bill. Cinnamon teal are supposed to be 7 – 10% larger than Blue winged teal. Same measurements for the bill. On a Cinnamon the bill will be 7 – 10% larger, wider, longer and look more “spatula shaped” … sort of like a mini-canvasback.

When looking at the feathers the ONLY way to tell is with a light that illuminates the spectrums of light humans can’t see. So if one bird is just slightly more redish in color - you don't have much to go on.

Variations in coloration exist in both birds. Blue wings can range from mottled brown to rust colored. Cinnamons rust brown, to vibrant reds, to crimson to almost ox-blood in color. This last one being of GREAT interest to me. Saw a picture of one the other day that was unreal. I’ll try to find it for you.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Bill failed before on what a wildlife biologist was telling us was a cinnamon after doing the bill test. Turned out it was a blue wing teal ooops
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:36 pm

Nice! :thumbsup:
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:25 pm

I didnt even notice it until i showed someone the pic and they pointed it out :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :crying:
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:05 pm

I missed one season before last. All three shots. The 2nd & 3rd shots were a stretch but I wanted that bad boy bad :lol3:
I don't usually miss a bird without hammering him on the follow up but in that case I did. Definitely on my taxidermy list.

Your new rig is serving you well huh. :thumbsup:
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Barney#1 wrote:I missed one season before last. All three shots. The 2nd & 3rd shots were a stretch but I wanted that bad boy bad :lol3:
I don't usually miss a bird without hammering him on the follow up but in that case I did. Definitely on my taxidermy list.

Your new rig is serving you well huh. :thumbsup:

Oh yea! While everyone is dragging their outboards through knee deep mud i just idle right past them :lol3:
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Anyone got an idea on how common a cinnamon teal is in our state always kinda wondered about that :huh: ? I have hunted ducks for over 15 years now and have never even seen one in the air. I have had buddies who have shot em but I always assumed that they were crazy rare. I did do a mount of a mandarin that a buddy of mine shot on Lake Gilmer last season it was cool as heck! :yes: I hope to get a chance to cut something that cool in the blind one day! Oh yea and your go devil has to be one of the most bullet proof mud motors on the market a friend of mine had a 23hp surface drive for years and never had to put it in the shop then he went with a prodrive its a beast but he has had to have the trim switch replaced like 5 times other than that it is an animal but we always liked the simplicity of the go devil! Sharp rig man and congrats on a great hunt! :thumbsup:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:32 pm

2006-07 season was a good time to get a Cinnamon Teal on Texoma. Got 3 in two hunts.

Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Damn nice birds man ... !
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Rob, take me hunting.
Call, Kill, Consume.