Salt/brackish marshes

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Salt/brackish marshes

Postby canis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Anyone have any experience on the salt/brackish marshes around Texas? There's not a whole lot of info on the internet about it, and I'm relatively new to this kind of duck hunting. Any advice or tips about decoy species/spread or general info would be greatly appreciated.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas" -Davy Crockett
canis
hunter

Re: Salt/brackish marshes

Postby webfootbecker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 am

I am relatively new to Texas and this season will be my first experience with Texas duck hunting. However, I have spent 25 years hunting the coastal marshes and brackish water impoundments of Florida, and I am fairly confident that it can not be that different than Texas. First and foremost, when hunting a saltwater marsh you have to consider the tides. During the winter, especially when there is a full moon, the tide swing can be very dramatic. The last thing you want to get caught in is a strong outgoing tide. A boat and decoys sitting on top of 3 feet of mud and oysters is no fun. With that being said, remember that divers (especially bluebills since they feed primarily on snails), will pour into those mud flats as long as there is a couple of feet of water on them. On the flip side of that, I have shot hundreds of teal on those same mud flats with no water in sight. These were areas that we could easily walk to without having to worry about getting a boat stuck. As with any area, just scout it, but be extra mindful of those rocks and oyster bars. Oh, and one more thing. Hope you are not a clean freak - salt water hunting can be a 'filthy' experience. That salt will take years off your motor and trailer(if you are not meticulous with your cleaning), but a hundred divers landing in your dekes will make it worth every penny (at least I think so).

Hope this helps
webfootbecker
hunter

Re: Salt/brackish marshes

Postby canis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57 pm

I appreciate it. I'll definitely have to keep the tides in mind though.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas" -Davy Crockett
canis
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting