Duck Hunting Forum banner

Shutdown closing hunting areas

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Barney#1 
#1 ·
Is anyone else concerned about having all the NWRs closed during this government posture session? Corps lakes, national forests, etc?

I just haven't seen much talk about it on these forums and it looks like it can potentially effect us quite a bit. Go to any NWRs website, just a canned message about the site being down while the shutdown is going on or something.

#3 ·
:biggrin:

Yeah. Actually I read this morning that this has been a huge issue out of state thus far - NO HUNTING. Period. End of story, but in the state of Texas everything is up and running - I've not checked on that personally, but the article I read about all the out of state stuff being closed was in Wildfowl Mag. online this morning.

#5 ·
The state WMAs should be open as usual, just the NWRs won't be. Pretty much anything that has a gate is locked with a big poster attached to the front saying they are closed blah blah blah.

That will really piss me off if they stay closed until big duck season.

#6 ·
agengo02 said:
The state WMAs should be open as usual, just the NWRs won't be. Pretty much anything that has a gate is locked with a big poster attached to the front saying they are closed blah blah blah.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-24 ... k2AY5GcrSM

Those should take care of your problem.

#7 ·
Just ran across this:

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-FAQ.pdf

Parts relevant to us:

"Will I be able to visit BLM-managed public lands?
All recreation facilities, including campgrounds, boat ramps etc., will be closed. If it is a nondeveloped recreational destination with no controlled access, you may visit. However, there will
be no services and there will no non-emergency services available.

May I hunt or fish on public lands?
Yes, consistent with State law."

#8 ·
MarkM said:
agengo02 said:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-24 ... k2AY5GcrSM

Those should take care of your problem.
Never should have taken you to my ranch...****!

#11 ·
Anything run by the corp is shut down. The lakes near me have all gates locked or concrete barricades so there is no access to campsites, boat ramps, or land in walking distance. Although there are some public spots where you park on the road and just walk through a small opening in the fence not sure if it's legal to hunt or not.

#12 ·
whistlin_wings said:
Anything run by the corp is shut down. The lakes near me have all gates locked or concrete barricades so there is no access to campsites, boat ramps, or land in walking distance. Although there are some public spots where you park on the road and just walk through a small opening in the fence not sure if it's legal to hunt or not.
Show me where and I will let you know if it is.

#13 ·
MarkM said:
whistlin_wings said:
Buncha poachers, all of yuh.

#14 ·
Crazy Matt said:
MarkM said:
whistlin_wings said:
Isn't poaching if you get caught. No green jeans = no laws.

#15 ·
MarkM said:
Crazy Matt said:
MarkM said:
whistlin_wings said:
no laws=no rules=no pants

#16 ·
whistlin_wings said:
MarkM said:
Crazy Matt said:
MarkM said:
whistlin_wings said:
no laws=no rules=no pants
Just watch for small mesquites and thorn bushes.

And I am not hunting with you.

#17 ·
I agree. The access gates near my home have also been locked all week. However, there have been trucks parked just outside them. Apparently, guys are just walking in. My guess is that this is totally legal. There is nothing on any ACOE website that would lead me to believe anything else. And, of course, no one is available to answer any phone calls. This could present a problem for duck season though if it drags on. Again, I am new to this state, but it seems as though the ACOE has control over most of the boat ramps.

#18 ·
webfootbecker said:
I agree. The access gates near my home have also been locked all week. However, there have been trucks parked just outside them. Apparently, guys are just walking in. My guess is that this is totally legal. There is nothing on any ACOE website that would lead me to believe anything else. And, of course, no one is available to answer any phone calls. This could present a problem for duck season though if it drags on. Again, I am new to this state, but it seems as though the ACOE has control over most of the boat ramps.
It is illegal to be on the land I believe.

Only legal public hunting you could do right now would be on the rivers near you or any lakes that allow it.

#19 ·
MarkM said:
webfootbecker said:
It is illegal to be on the land I believe.

Only legal public hunting you could do right now would be on the rivers near you or any lakes that allow it.
Read my post from above and check out the link. I read it as (and based off what I have seen driving around) if it has the ability to be gated off, it will be locked with a poster talking about closed access blah blah blah. If there is no CONTROLLED ACCESS you can hunt/fish consistent with state law. So maybe the Corps ramps will be closed, but the others should be open for business.

#20 ·
whistlin_wings said:
To me that's total BS...they are doing that to prove a point! I say f**kem all. I hope it stays like this from now on.

BTW...feel free to open the gates and remove the barricades. What can they do about it? Nothing!

#21 ·
GW says go for it.... I'm gonna do some squirrel hunting this weekend so I will let y'all know. I have my permit for the corps property I'm hunting, GW isn't gonna write me up for it, the corps rangers are MIA, and there are no signs posted at the walk throughs and parking area. Plus the website doesn't say anything about not hunting.

#22 ·
Here is what TPWD left on my Facebook message, I encourage others to talk to someone official in spite of your best guesses :

Texas Parks and Wildlife Yes. Texas Parks and Wildlife is not affected by the federal government shutdown at this time. State parks and state Wildlife Management Areas are open.

Texas public hunters will have access to most U.S. Forest Service lands. Regional and field U.S. Forest Service Offices will be closed during the shutdown. Some developed U.S. recreational sites could also be closed.

Texas Game Wardens will still be enforcing hunting, fishing, and public hunt regulations.
Like · Reply · 40 minutes ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.