Shutdown closing hunting areas

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Shutdown closing hunting areas

Postby agengo02 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Is anyone else concerned about having all the NWRs closed during this government posture session? Corps lakes, national forests, etc?

I just haven't seen much talk about it on these forums and it looks like it can potentially effect us quite a bit. Go to any NWRs website, just a canned message about the site being down while the shutdown is going on or something.
agengo02
hunter

Re: Shutdown closing hunting areas

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:32 am

Well there won't be any federal game wardens out to stop you from hunting them... Lol!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:14 pm

:biggrin:

Yeah. Actually I read this morning that this has been a huge issue out of state thus far - NO HUNTING. Period. End of story, but in the state of Texas everything is up and running - I've not checked on that personally, but the article I read about all the out of state stuff being closed was in Wildfowl Mag. online this morning.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 pm

They'll be up and running again next week...unfortunately!
:-)
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 am

The state WMAs should be open as usual, just the NWRs won't be. Pretty much anything that has a gate is locked with a big poster attached to the front saying they are closed blah blah blah.

That will really piss me off if they stay closed until big duck season.
agengo02
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 am

agengo02 wrote:The state WMAs should be open as usual, just the NWRs won't be. Pretty much anything that has a gate is locked with a big poster attached to the front saying they are closed blah blah blah.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-24 ... k2AY5GcrSM

Those should take care of your problem.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:00 am

Just ran across this:

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-FAQ.pdf

Parts relevant to us:

"Will I be able to visit BLM-managed public lands?
All recreation facilities, including campgrounds, boat ramps etc., will be closed. If it is a nondeveloped recreational destination with no controlled access, you may visit. However, there will
be no services and there will no non-emergency services available.

May I hunt or fish on public lands?
Yes, consistent with State law."
agengo02
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 pm

MarkM wrote:
agengo02 wrote:The state WMAs should be open as usual, just the NWRs won't be. Pretty much anything that has a gate is locked with a big poster attached to the front saying they are closed blah blah blah.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-24 ... k2AY5GcrSM

Those should take care of your problem.

Never should have taken you to my ranch...crap!
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Crazy Matt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 pm

:sarcmark:
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:39 pm

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Anything run by the corp is shut down. The lakes near me have all gates locked or concrete barricades so there is no access to campsites, boat ramps, or land in walking distance. Although there are some public spots where you park on the road and just walk through a small opening in the fence not sure if it's legal to hunt or not.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:09 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Anything run by the corp is shut down. The lakes near me have all gates locked or concrete barricades so there is no access to campsites, boat ramps, or land in walking distance. Although there are some public spots where you park on the road and just walk through a small opening in the fence not sure if it's legal to hunt or not.

Show me where and I will let you know if it is.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:12 pm

MarkM wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Anything run by the corp is shut down. The lakes near me have all gates locked or concrete barricades so there is no access to campsites, boat ramps, or land in walking distance. Although there are some public spots where you park on the road and just walk through a small opening in the fence not sure if it's legal to hunt or not.

Buncha poachers, all of yuh.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Crazy Matt wrote:
MarkM wrote:

Isn't poaching if you get caught. No green jeans = no laws.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:26 pm

MarkM wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
MarkM wrote:

no laws=no rules=no pants
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:33 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:
MarkM wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
MarkM wrote:

no laws=no rules=no pants

Just watch for small mesquites and thorn bushes.

And I am not hunting with you.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby webfootbecker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 am

I agree. The access gates near my home have also been locked all week. However, there have been trucks parked just outside them. Apparently, guys are just walking in. My guess is that this is totally legal. There is nothing on any ACOE website that would lead me to believe anything else. And, of course, no one is available to answer any phone calls. This could present a problem for duck season though if it drags on. Again, I am new to this state, but it seems as though the ACOE has control over most of the boat ramps.
webfootbecker
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 am

webfootbecker wrote:I agree. The access gates near my home have also been locked all week. However, there have been trucks parked just outside them. Apparently, guys are just walking in. My guess is that this is totally legal. There is nothing on any ACOE website that would lead me to believe anything else. And, of course, no one is available to answer any phone calls. This could present a problem for duck season though if it drags on. Again, I am new to this state, but it seems as though the ACOE has control over most of the boat ramps.

It is illegal to be on the land I believe.

Only legal public hunting you could do right now would be on the rivers near you or any lakes that allow it.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:02 am

MarkM wrote:
webfootbecker wrote:I agree. The access gates near my home have also been locked all week. However, there have been trucks parked just outside them. Apparently, guys are just walking in. My guess is that this is totally legal. There is nothing on any ACOE website that would lead me to believe anything else. And, of course, no one is available to answer any phone calls. This could present a problem for duck season though if it drags on. Again, I am new to this state, but it seems as though the ACOE has control over most of the boat ramps.

It is illegal to be on the land I believe.

Only legal public hunting you could do right now would be on the rivers near you or any lakes that allow it.

Read my post from above and check out the link. I read it as (and based off what I have seen driving around) if it has the ability to be gated off, it will be locked with a poster talking about closed access blah blah blah. If there is no CONTROLLED ACCESS you can hunt/fish consistent with state law. So maybe the Corps ramps will be closed, but the others should be open for business.
agengo02
hunter

Postby :-) » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:04 am

To me that's total BS...they are doing that to prove a point! I say f**kem all. I hope it stays like this from now on.

BTW...feel free to open the gates and remove the barricades. What can they do about it? Nothing!
:-)
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:21 am

GW says go for it.... I'm gonna do some squirrel hunting this weekend so I will let y'all know. I have my permit for the corps property I'm hunting, GW isn't gonna write me up for it, the corps rangers are MIA, and there are no signs posted at the walk throughs and parking area. Plus the website doesn't say anything about not hunting.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Here is what TPWD left on my Facebook message, I encourage others to talk to someone official in spite of your best guesses :

Texas Parks and Wildlife Yes. Texas Parks and Wildlife is not affected by the federal government shutdown at this time. State parks and state Wildlife Management Areas are open.

Texas public hunters will have access to most U.S. Forest Service lands. Regional and field U.S. Forest Service Offices will be closed during the shutdown. Some developed U.S. recreational sites could also be closed.

Texas Game Wardens will still be enforcing hunting, fishing, and public hunt regulations.
Like · Reply · 40 minutes ago
tako1972
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am

Here some more info about Texas state parks which some are connected to areas on the APH. If anyone is still worried.
Thank God Texas is some what independent. We are cut back some but still have places to go hunt.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/r ... =20131010a
Barney#1
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting