Lubbock?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Lubbock?

Postby Wingbuster58 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:23 am

I just got accepted to Texas Tech a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if I will go there and won't let the hunting affect my decision. However, I have heard some great things about the hunting up there. What are the land access opportunities like? I love hunting sandhills and specs, but I am fired up about the possibility of canada geese! How are the ducks? Also, is the turkey hunting any good? I'm just trying to figure out if I can keep doing what I love if I go there. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
Wingbuster58
hunter

Re: Lubbock?

Postby wheaton_iceman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am

I was just there last week on a short business trip for the first time. The crops in the area looked good, and it was somewhat green vegetation around...but I think that the drought and lack of rain is still hitting the area hard. Private landowners with large livestock tanks might even be hurting. Think I saw a sign for a WMA and a State Park...don't remember the names or what public opportunities exist.

Good luck.
wheaton_iceman
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 pm

It's good, not so much the school.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby SATX duckman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Congrats on your acceptance to in a bad ass university. Dont let the tea sips or aggies try and bring you down on this website. Lubbock is what you make it.

As far as hunting it can be a duck hunters paradise. There is no drainage in lubbock in the way of underground drain off systems. The city is filled with playa lakes for the run off and the geese will cover those so thick you can walk across their backs and never touch the water. Texas Tech has a pretty big DU chapter but from my experience it was a bunch of frat guys who would throw dads money at a conservation cause so they could sport their hats at class the next day. When I was there i was able to meet up with some friends whos families had land around lubbock and further north into areas like muleshoe. Phesant, quail, was pretty abundant there in the corners as everyone uses center pivot irrigation and CRPs the corners. Id try to meet people in the dorm and see what they have. There will be tons and tons of cotton there. If a place gets hailed out then they will plant corn or grain. Water will be hard to find outside of lubbock. San Angelo isnt that far away. I'd do some driving find where they are at and offer some work to the farmers in exchange for being able to hunt. They are always in need of help.

Good luck

RAIDER POWER!!!
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Lot of water in Lubbock. I was there last week, but I am dead serious about your education.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:44 am

So where do you plan on keeping your gun your freshman year?
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Wingbuster58 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 am

^ Hadn't thought about that yet. I may not do much hunting freshman year. Sounds like I will certainly be able to find some opportunities though!
Wingbuster58
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:32 pm

You can store your gun on campus at the PD station there. Or at least you used to be able to. Thats something you can ask during your orientation.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby nick2021 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:48 am

Some of the best goose hunting is in that area....think you will enjoy your stay!
nick2021
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting