New to Duck Hunting in Central Texas

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

New to Duck Hunting in Central Texas

Postby mountain_bound » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:21 pm

My name is Jordan, I just got stationed here at Ft. Hood. I am pretty new to duck hunting (this will be my 3rd season). After reading through different posts I have found that many hunters on here are very hush hush about their hunting spots, which is very understandable, so let me start out by saying that I am not looking for people to share their secrets for the world to see. I am more just looking for advice on techniques that work for the area (Ft. Hood/Killeen). Maybe also a point in the general direction of where I can start scouting. And if anyone is willing to let someone tag along on a hunt here and there I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to the responses.

-Jordan
mountain_bound
Newb

Re: New to Duck Hunting in Central Texas

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Don't know the area, but my guess would be to get on google earth, find water and get to burning the gas.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Bib3773 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Scroll down a little and there is a section just for Texas, you might have a little better luck in there.

Good luck, hope you have a good year, and thank you for serving.
I rode my stick horse to the store, if felt like I walked the whole way....
Bib3773
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:15 am

Hey Jordan, if you ever get a 4-day or some leave time try and make a trip down here to corpus. I will put you on some nice trout/reds and shoot some ducks.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:25 am

stumpjumper1590 wrote:Hey Jordan, if you ever get a 4-day or some leave time try and make a trip down here to corpus. I will put you on some nice trout/reds and shoot some ducks.

I see how it is! See if you get cooter in time to hunt her now...
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:18 am

Come on mark! Family don't need invites. Duh!
All you have to do is say hey stump I'm coming to corpus and I want to catch reds/trout or sharks and jacks from the beach or shoot limits of redheads and pintails. JeeeeeeeZzzzzzzz

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:25 pm

Damn stump i guess something i did rubbed you the wrong way then. I was going to personally deliver cooter to you and save mark and myself shipping expenses seeing as how ill be down there for the opener. Makes me wonder if your not a fan of cooter??? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Mark if shes not there yet she should be tomorrow. Or so says the post office.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby :-) » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:07 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote:Hey :-), if you ever have time try and make a trip over here to corpus. I will put you on some nice trout/reds and shoot some ducks.

I made a couple corrections to your post stumpjumper! I'll bring a boat, dog, decoys, guns, and ammo. Heck, I'll even stay late, and we can go gig some flounder.

:-)
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:35 am

SATX duckman wrote:Damn stump i guess something i did rubbed you the wrong way then. I was going to personally deliver cooter to you and save mark and myself shipping expenses seeing as how ill be down there for the opener. Makes me wonder if your not a fan of cooter??? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Huh? When did I miss that, I never heard about hit

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am

stumpjumper1590 wrote:
SATX duckman wrote:Damn stump i guess something i did rubbed you the wrong way then. I was going to personally deliver cooter to you and save mark and myself shipping expenses seeing as how ill be down there for the opener. Makes me wonder if your not a fan of cooter??? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Huh? When did I miss that, I never heard about hit

I sent it to you VIA PM. No biggie.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:48 pm

if you havent already done it go to the sportsmans center on base. my son killed alot of ducks there on base on ponds after work. also check with corp of engineers not tpwd for info on several lakes close to you. if you need any more help pm me and i can be way more specific i dont hunt out there any more now that my son isnt out there and dont want the haters to jump on us.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:56 pm

I can give you mgrs to my old spots
Duck_Happy
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting