New to Duck Hunting in Central Texas

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

New to Duck Hunting in Central Texas

Postby mountain_bound » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:47 pm

My name is Jordan, I just got stationed here at Ft. Hood. I am pretty new to duck hunting (this will be my 3rd season). After reading through different posts I have found that many hunters on here are very hush hush about their hunting spots, which is very understandable, so let me start out by saying that I am not looking for people to share their secrets for the world to see. I am more just looking for advice on techniques that work for the area (Ft. Hood/Killeen). Maybe also a point in the general direction of where I can start scouting. And if anyone is willing to let someone tag along on a hunt here and there I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to the responses.

-Jordan
mountain_bound
Newb

Re: New to Duck Hunting in Central Texas

Postby TexasHunter96 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:41 pm

A jerk string in your decoy spread will help you out.

Check out the TPWD website for the public hunting permit/book.
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:42 pm

Welcome to the hood, just left that place. I'd recommend getting a small boat or a yak. I never hunted on hood but had hit or miss success on the two big lakes around there. Use the corp of engineers website though.
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:18 am

Hey Jordan, if you ever get a 4-day or some leave time try and make a trip down here to corpus. I will put you on some nice trout/reds and shoot some ducks.

Sent from my busted iPhone

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting