post your hunting spot here

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

post your hunting spot here

Postby tako1972 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 pm

So we can get it out of the way,everyone just post up their duck/goose spots here. That way there won't be 20 other threads this season asking the same question in a different way. Please be specific. If the green heads pour in like nobody's business, let em' know. leaving them the appropriate ammo and toilet paper at the spot would also be wonderful. Thanks.
tako1972
hunter

Re: post your hunting spot here

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:55 pm

... NOW guys. This is serious!
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Fine! I will go first.
29.235588 -098.418434 lots of waste grains for the ducks to feed on.
Last edited by Barney#1 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby ATXduckhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Screw Lat and Long, I straight up tell you. Lady Bird Lake, right where Barton Springs feeds the main lake. Bought myself a fancy new layout boat and everything. Those bread-fed ducks will never know what hit em. I saw gadwall, teal, and a lone pintail hen this weekend while running.
ATXduckhunter
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Lat 27.793710 Long -98.062401

There are multiple species on this little lake, and it's fairly easy access. Stick to the coves just off the main lake, and you will have a limit in no time at all.
:-)
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 pm

These recent ones are the best cause its literally three days before season starts and they're like hey tell me where the ducks are.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:38 am

What happened to our lake naming sticky?
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:44 am

Limits at Lakes Tyler and Athens
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:42 am

Keep this between us, but 31.570969, -97.138893 has limits of Canvasbacks, Redheads, Woodies & Mallards.

It'll be our little secret...
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 am

Well since we are all putting it out there... I'll give up my honey hole. The west and south west side of falcon lake. I've have never left that place without a limit. I usually go as far west as I can and pull the boat up on the shore. Set up in some secluded area on the west bank and just wait for them to pile in. Mallards, Canvasback, Woodies. You name it they have it. The park there on the west side is great for camping too. Locals are so hospitable. Def worth checking out.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:48 am

Just ignore the 1 or 2 posts where people sign up that day. I've actually volunteered to 2 different people looking for spots to hunt to PM well in advance of the start of the season if they are serious and can scout with me. Got 0 replies and neither have been back to the forum since.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Everything in white is my honey hole... LOL!
Attachments
GLO Survey.jpg
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 pm

Mojo281 wrote:Everything in white is my honey hole... LOL!

HEY ... stay out of my hole lady ... !!! LOL ... :biggrin:
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:07 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Just ignore the 1 or 2 posts where people sign up that day. I've actually volunteered to 2 different people looking for spots to hunt to PM well in advance of the start of the season if they are serious and can scout with me. Got 0 replies and neither have been back to the forum since.

People just looking for a quick and easy take. Pretty sad no one wants to put in work these days...
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:29 pm

Copperas cove lake has the best hunting
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Just baffles me how people will wait until 2 days before the opener and ask online. So if we told them where would they show up to that spot on Saturday and roam around in the dark?
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby TexasHunter96 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 pm

I guess so. Hard to believe though.
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 pm

So where should I hunt at then on Saturday?
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby lowlife » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:06 pm

Bummer, I have to work this weekend!
How do you know the person that wrote the reading, wrote the reading right? Festus
lowlife
hunter

Postby ATXduckhunter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:11 am

Someone actually saw my post then PM'd me and asked "where do you actually hunt in austin?" SERIOUSLY????!!!!

My response was actually nice.... "Public land... You need to do the research to do it right. Call game wardens in the area if you have questions. Start here: (gave him the COE website) A few lakes close that you can hunt, you really need a boat to be effective though.
I wrote an article about public hunting that can be found here: http://www.2coolfishing.com/magazine/0102/Hope that helps you start."

His response "so I read the article and looked at both links so if I get that permit I have access to hunt duck on lake XXXXXXXXX?"

Obviously he didn't read my article or get the hint to do all his research on his own. I politely told him to call the numbers listed, best resources to answer all your questions. You guys are right, people just aren't willing to do the work.

Rant over...
ATXduckhunter
hunter

Postby frankie78748 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:26 am

I did read both of the things you sent me. I am new to this and I am willing to put my work in I've been a hardworker my whole life and accomplished a lot in my 21 years of life I'm sorry that some of use weren't fortunate to have someone to teach us how to scout and actually hunt. I've done a lot of hrs of research on here on what kind of decoys to use or even how to use duck calls I've called Texas parks and wildlife and everything and unfortunately they weren't help. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way I'm not clueless because I'm lazy I'm clueless because this is 100% new to this. I'm not lookin for a freebie just some guidance so one day I can teach my son so he may enjoy what I didn't get to.
frankie78748
hunter

Postby SemperJoe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:57 am

ATXduckhunter wrote:Someone actually saw my post then PM'd me and asked "where do you actually hunt in austin?" SERIOUSLY????!!!!

My response was actually nice.... "Public land... You need to do the research to do it right. Call game wardens in the area if you have questions. Start here: (gave him the COE website) A few lakes close that you can hunt, you really need a boat to be effective though.
I wrote an article about public hunting that can be found here: http://www.2coolfishing.com/magazine/0102/Hope that helps you start."

His response "so I read the article and looked at both links so if I get that permit I have access to hunt duck on lake XXXXXXXXX?"

Obviously he didn't read my article or get the hint to do all his research on his own. I politely told him to call the numbers listed, best resources to answer all your questions. You guys are right, people just aren't willing to do the work.

Rant over...

Wow your a real butt someone ask you for advice on how to get started and you go and blast him on this forum. He is a new member and is needing advice and that is the best you can do. You must need to do crap like this to make yourself feel good. U sound more like a dumbass then anything. How do u expect the forum to grow when the first thing you do is give a negative welcome to a new member...
SemperJoe
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:22 am

SemperJoe wrote:
ATXduckhunter wrote:Someone actually saw my post then PM'd me and asked "where do you actually hunt in austin?" SERIOUSLY????!!!!

Rant over...

Wow your a real butt someone ask you for advice on how to get started and you go and blast him on this forum. He is a new member and is needing advice and that is the best you can do. You must need to do crap like this to make yourself feel good. U sound more like a dumbass then anything. How do u expect the forum to grow when the first thing you do is give a negative welcome to a new member...

Semper I don't think that is an issue of someone being a butt.
I too like many guys on here jumped on the internet sometime before duck season to do some looking around online for duck hunting in texas. When I was younger I had the opportunity to hunt private land in Garwood and was spoiled with the number of ducks and ease of it. You would just show up and sit in the blind. Well a conversation at work between me and a coworker reignited our desire for hunting ducks again. So last year was pretty much a rookie season for me. I got on here dropped the name of a lake nearby trying to find someone that could help me out with what to expect, any tips, anything really. I was lucky and had one person Barney#1 give me a heads up on etiquite on here and what to expect. Think i'll pass on what I have learned so far.

1. Where can I hunt near (your city here) Texas?
If you read through the forums you can see so many guys have very calmly and nicely pointed everyone, even myself to the tpwd website. You pay $48 bucks and you get access to thousands of acres through the APH permit. Unless your in way west Texas (el paso area) chances are there will be something close (within two hours) to you. You can see all the available lands online or through the book they send to you. I'll go one further and tell you that you can purchase them anywhere they sell hunting and fishing licenses even online. If you hunt other species such as dove or even deer, you can use some lands you get access to through you aph for that also. Pretty much a no brainer.

2. Where do you hunt at (your city here) Texas?
Everyone asks this even myself. I'd love to know where everyone hunts at. Would be nice to pull up to XYZ lake at 5am drop the boat in and drive right out dodging ducks to get to the honey hole of all honey holes. "THE GLORY HOLE!!!"
Crappy part is its not going to happen. I've been out four times this year with two blue wing teal to show for it (taken off an APH permit place). Youth weekend NADA (Spanish for nothing). Friday night left at 10pm drove to the coast camped in the bed of my truck with two other guys. Set up at 4am to come back with NADA. Packed up drove two more hours for afternoon hunt came back with NADA. Have hit the same lake 6 times now and come back with NADA. Between this year and last year with all the money my hunting partner and I have put into it with dog, boat, gas, decoys, licenses hotel stays etc., we are averaging about $1000 a bird. I have a wife a 3 year old and a 4 year old along with a job so my time is precious along with my money. So I will be damned if someone gets on here a day before hunting season and asks where I hunt and gets pissed when I wont tell them. Better yet maybe I should tell them and give them the same luck I have been having.

3. You have to do it yourself!
When you get out on a Friday after work and leg it up before sun down to "scout" you may or may not find birds. Just because they are there on day doesn't mean they will be there the next day. Hard lesson I have learned (reason I go back to the same lake 6 times with nothing to show) is that birds will be where they want to be not where you think they will be. My buddy and I are still making our way around texas trying to find "spots" to hunt. Pull out they APH booklet you get find the counties they are in a call the game warden there. Ask them hey how is it? Any birds there? How is the water level? Just stuff you need to know about the area in general. They are going to give you the most honest advice.

4. Before you get your panties in a wad... At the ramps at 2,3,4am you will meet some of the nicest guys who are there doing what you are doing. There is a certain comrodarie between guys when they pull up see your boat see your decoys see you in waders and camo. They will stop and talk to you and tell you either where they are going to hunt if you headed out so your not on top of each other or how they did if they are coming in. They will tip you off about what birds they have see in the area if they are from there. After coming in with NADA on opening morning it was kinda nice to hear from other guys that they didn't get anything either. "we only saw a few" or "it was too windy and they were too high". We are all in it for the same thing. Heck I was giving advice to two guys that drove down from San Angelo at the boat ramp telling them what to expect and where the other hunters where (their honey holes) at to avoid setting up to close to them and access that would be easier for them seeing as how they were in kayaks.

5. Welcome :welcome:
From what I have taken in guys on here are good guys. Like to give each other a hard time poke fun and congratulate at a job well done in the field. Have yet to meet anyone from here that I know of (maybe at a boat ramp) but putting plans together to do so this year hopefully. In the meantime good luck to you this season. Plenty of time left to figure things out and be able to drive around and find your "spots". Hopefully you will average better the $1000 a bird.

To everyone one else hopefully you had full straps after the opener.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby ATXduckhunter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Semper as you can see in my PM's transcribed word for word above, I did help the Frankie out. I pointed him in the right direction, I gave him the numbers to call, the maps to look at, etc. I did all this without knowing the him or if he was new at this. All he asked was "where do you actually hunt in Austin?" Had he asked a different way he might have gotten a more friendly response.

You are right, wrong of me to air it out on a public forum, my apologies Frankie. I don't claim to know it all, and like you, my father did not lift a finger when I said "I want to duck hunt". I wrote that article about public duck hunting in texas to help people like you and it was wrong of me to publicly air a private message. I learned all that I wrote in that article from trial and error and people in the field. My dad eventually saw how much fun we were having and started tagging along. I love to introduce people to the sport and just took ten guys out this weekend for their first hunts on public land. I have offered to do the same with other people on this forum and will extend the same offer to you. Pretty busy the first split buying my first house but hit me up sometime and we can find a day to get on some birds. 210-896-0789
ATXduckhunter
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Same here, I'm the one who got my dad into waterfowl. He's still not as hooked as I am though.

ATX, I'd love to come down and hunt with you if possible this season. You're welcome to hunt with me whenever you're up near Ft. Worth
TexasHunter96
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting