New to Dallas Area, Partner Wanted and Some Advice

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

New to Dallas Area, Partner Wanted and Some Advice

Postby nockednlocked » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello all,

I am new to the Dallas Area, my wife and I moved here earlier this year for my work and I want to get my feet wet doing some duck hunting this winter. I live in Plano (Just on the Allen border) and work in Dallas but I am willing to drive some to get on some decent areas. I am looking to hunt public this winter and have been doing a lot of google earth scouting. I have some general questions:

1. What time of year to the ducks come into the DFW area or is the weather dependent on what is going on up north?
2. Are small ponds or open water better for ducks around DFW?
3. Any other major tips or advice you are willing to share on the hunting areas/style around DFW?

Lastly, I am looking to find a few hunting partner(s) that are open to going out and hunting together. I am not looking to steal your honey hole or post its location on the web, just looking to get some decent wing shooting in this winter. I have decoys, can call, a jerk line, a couple mojos, waders, and all the needed gear and have been duck hunting all my life just never in Texas (grew up hunting in Oregon and just moved from Utah). I can assure you I am easy to get along with and am willing to pay my share of the gas money. I have been trying to do my own leg work and am going out for the opener on some public ponds so we will see how it goes.

Thanks for reading and any other tips anyone is willing to put out there is much appreciated.

Mike
nockednlocked
Newb

Re: New to Dallas Area, Partner Wanted and Some Advice

Postby TexasHunter96 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Ducks start moving down in September, more will come with colder weather/shorter days/snow up north. Ponds and lakes will produce ducks. You're welcome to hunt with me this season. PM me anytime
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:04 am

Check out Public Hunting on TPWD. That will give you an idea as to where to start looking at.

Good luck and :welcome:
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby nockednlocked » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks for the advice and welcome guys. Much appreciated.
nockednlocked
Newb

Postby RShockley » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Your more then welcome to hunt with me when we have room. Just put up a blind on our boat this year. We can't fit 3 shooters but it might be a little tight. I hunt a lot during the week by myself so there is room then if you can make it during the week. Just send me a PM. My dad normally hunts with me on the weekends. Check out the public hunting section on the tpwd website. There is plenty of places to choose from within a few hours. I've only been hunting ducks for a few years now. I may not be the most experienced in the area but I enjoy learning as much as I can every time I go and hunting as often as I can.
RShockley
hunter

Postby nockednlocked » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:44 pm

RSchockley, PM Sent
nockednlocked
Newb

Postby nockednlocked » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Went out this morning, saw two high groups flying through, nothing wanting to work or even really looking, skunked. Good luck to all, hope you all had a great opener.
nockednlocked
Newb

Postby RShockley » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:14 pm

I had 2 boats decide to fish right in front of my boat blind. Every time birds would s
Pass by they would get over the fishing boats and then flare off.
RShockley
hunter

Postby nockednlocked » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Sorry to hear about the fishing boats, hope today was better for you if you went out. I ended up staying home and getting some stuff done around the house. Good luck to all, shoot straight.
nockednlocked
Newb

Postby robquacker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:57 pm

I have one season of duck hunting under my belt, but love it. Not sure I'd be much help but I'm looking for guys to go with. I'm in far north Dallas just south of Plano.
robquacker
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 pm

RShockley wrote:I had 2 boats decide to fish right in front of my boat blind. Every time birds would s

Depending on how close the boats are to you, that can be considered hunter harassment if they are negatively affecting your hunt. A call to the local GW and they can be ticketed, especially if you report their TX numbers...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Mojo281 wrote:
RShockley wrote:I had 2 boats decide to fish right in front of my boat blind. Every time birds would s

Depending on how close the boats are to you, that can be considered hunter harassment if they are negatively affecting your hunt. A call to the local GW and they can be ticketed, especially if you report their TX numbers...

Good to know.... Dang bass fisherman are the worst.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby RShockley » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:
Mojo281 wrote:

Good to know.... Dang bass fisherman are the worst.

That is new info to me. I will have to keep that in mind next time. One of the other hunters even walked over and asked them to move with no success. I guess I have always just chalked it up to hunting on public land. Thankfully all the hunters I have run into this season have been really respectful. Everyone made sure they had plenty of distance between groups, none of them where sky busting, and I didn't see a single attempt to try and call at birds someone else was working. Nice to see although I doubt it will last the full season. Your bound to find that one idiot every season.
RShockley
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting