birds not decoying

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

birds not decoying

Postby Duck_Happy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Hunted this morning and noticed all but one flock would decoy, talking to other hunters at the ramp they are reporting the same thing. Anyone else having this problem on the coast?

Spread was a J hook with sun at our back and plenty of cover.
Duck_Happy
hunter

Re: birds not decoying

Postby JRinger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Ive noticed if the ducks have been shot at a bunch they tend to avoid spreads. I drop down to a few decoys, little calling and no spinners once I figure out where they are going or coming from. #1 rule is be where they want to be. If you think you've covered that I would suggest being a minimalist. Can hurt to try. Good luck.
JRinger
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:59 pm

If all but one flock would decoy I'd say you're doing pretty dang good!

All but a couple ducks we shot this past weekend were in the decoys. Like the post says above...you need to be where they want to be. I don't agree with the thought of removing spinners. I'll put my spread with WonderDucks up against any motionless spread. I'm not a big fan of the traditional spinning wing decoys at all, but I love seeing that water splash around! It's expensive, but works.

You should also pay close attention to the wind...just like fishing you should be looking for areas protected from the wind. You may also want to try quartering away from the wind rather than keeping it at your back.

What species do you have in your decoy spread? Do you use a call? Are you hunting from a blind? These are also major factors...
:-)
hunter

Postby justinmi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:00 pm

I would chalk it up to the heavy pressure of opening weekend and the birds getting educated in your area. Until fresh clueless birds hit the scene you will have to change it up like the other gent said by using fewer dekes, jerk strings, calling less or using different calls such as your pintail, teal, or widgeon whistle. It cant be stated enough find the X, cause that is were its at. For example, I was hunting a small lake on a WMA Im talking 300 yards long and 1oo yards wide. I sat in a corner where I witnessed ducks pour into the hunt before. Guy shows up and asks if we mind if he hunts the other end and I say sure and he throws out 2 dozen dekes to my 6. Shooting time comes and me and my buddy are blowing it up while the dude at the other end did not fire a shot. He left after a half hour of watching us shoot ducks. That was a small lake your hunting the coast with lots of water, find that sweet spot.
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:25 pm

had trouble working birds too with ample cover, should have been easier because they were new birds...absolutely no wind and I think it affected the hunt, there were plenty of live birds on the water which also hurt, I think live birds on water on still days make decoying especially hard unless you have good motion in the decoys which I did not
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby nick2021 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm

As some people have stated…."X." That was our problem the opening weekend…..add that in with the pressure from opening weekend = tough hunting!
nick2021
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:20 am

On motion decoys. I know an old timer that used them and noticed the kept birds away. You have to figure they have seen that bird suspended in air all the way down the flyway. At some point they realize that a motion decoy with spinning wings equals trouble. he ditched the mojos and his birds decoying in increased. this is just his take on them. Makes sense. If we go through all the trouble of being concealed and not moving then throw out a duck that just floats and spins its wings they have to clue in on this.

On the other hand I do use them but not on the coast. I don't imagine them lasting more then one season if your lucky from the saltwater.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 am

Just call em in!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:06 am

Just shot two cupped pintail that were landing right next to the mojo. Some days they like it some days they don't don't be scared to change your spread during the hunt.

P.s. I just missed out on a flock of teal due to this post

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 am

Enjoy it while you can. Cooter has a way of ruining things when it comes to hunting. Oh and the decoy named cooter too that's headed your way.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:36 am

You can stand at a boat ramp all day long and listen to people say the birds aren't working, doesn't really mean a thing.

You weren't where they wanted to be, hunt scouted birds ... don't use a "J-hook" ... mimic what you see when you're scouting ... call them down. Just because you have decoys doesn't mean they'll do it. We had big flocks, say 30 - 50 birds all weekend long sort of doing it, not doing it at all … passing once, it took a lot of talking to get them in the hole. Some we shot on the 5th pass.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby RShockley » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:57 am

The ducks decoyed just fine this morning. Except for one group of mallards. Finally took one of them out of the group after about 8 passes.
RShockley
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm

I noticed the same pattern you saw opening morning here on the upper coast. Not decoying, not responsive to calling. I get the "be on the X" statements, but I don't think that works as well with the coast due to all the water they can go to. The spot we hunted had birds all over it a few days before, not concentrated in 1 spot at all. If you've got several hundred acres of the same type of water habitat they seem to spread out more. At least that's what I have noticed.

What worked for us was to not blow the call at all and just stay hunkered down. I'm also going to try more decoys next time to try to pull some of the bigger groups over.

It was odd to see groups of 30+ teal scream past on the water and do the famous teal bank, but not come straight to the decoys.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 pm

It's duck dynasties fault.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:22 pm

agengo02 wrote:I noticed the same pattern you saw opening morning here on the upper coast. Not decoying, not responsive to calling. I get the "be on the X" statements, but I don't think that works as well with the coast due to all the water they can go to

I highly disagree, as will a few other coastal hunters if they see this ... "all that water" doesn't contain the resources the ducks utilize. Food, water, rest ... once you find those spots you'll see the difference. It doesn't all look the same to a duck. This is why you see guys at the boat launch with average looking limits, and guys at the boat launch with badass drakes.

Most of the behavior your seeing is because of how early it is and likely where you are.

Question - how is it that the birds are "educated" if they just got there? It's the opener ... I get that they get shot at the whole way down, but they don't get shot at on the Texas coast the whole way down.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Normally i will run the teal near the shore line like i have seen them do. I also have grouped the pintails together with great success and cant count the number of times birds have decoyed next to the mojo.
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:50 am

Be sure your decoys are spread out... Like 4-5ft between decoys.

Happy ducks are spread out, nervous ducks stay close together. I tend to exaggerate this on the coast. You could be portraying the look of nervous ducks...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:20 am

Spread them out and give them a landing zone
TexasHunter96
hunter

birds not decoying

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:15 pm

All the pintails get put in a group we'll away from the other decoys. My painted redheads "old mallards" get spread out in front of the blind, then we throw two dozen redhead decoys almost touching just outside of those. Then the teal, shovelers, gadwall and widgeon get put out close to the blind behind the blind and a little of every where in between. Then my one bufflehead deek gets sent out out past everything else by himself. No shooting lanes, V's or j shaped spreads just natural looking holes. We had pintail literally hovering over the pintail decoys and then slowly dropping into a open hole then they went to sleep.

P.s there are defiantly X's on the coast we got three man limits of redheads and pintails yesterday with only one hen. Today I hunted maybe 400 yards away and shot one hen scaup.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Another thing about the motion decoys they've seen mallard mojos all the way down.

Bought a mallard wind duck for $20, put the swivel post on a painted PVC pipe for a corrosion proof stake. He's Señor Piñata now....;)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384054404.326991.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384054479.771137.jpg
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

birds not decoying

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:35 am

Been there done that got the mojo to prove it. Just busting your balls, looks good and I'm not sure if it helps since I have hunted both my pintail and mallard this season with similar results, however it can't hurt.

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:06 pm

I understand. I see it as another arrow in the quiver. I know put it on one side of the spread and a mallard mojo on the other they go to him first.

Need to replace his socket though, rivets are getting loose.
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting