building duck blind

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

building duck blind

Postby frankie78748 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:32 am

I have a 14ft bay boat and i'm looking any ideas on how to build a duck blind for it. I've seen the duck blinds that they sell at cabela's and other stores and they are a bit expensive. I was thinking of buying some camo netting they sell at cabelas and cutting a whole in the center section where we would be sitting at and hanging fishing poles in the fishing pole holders and punching holes in the camo sheet and zip tying it to the poles to keep it draped over the boat I know it won't look that great but was wondering if anyone would think it still would be effective I will be hunting in South Padre in laguna madre.
frankie78748
hunter

Re: building duck blind

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:33 am

If you are hunting out of the boat, you are hunting in the wrong spot!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:32 am

I agree with mojo. Your boat should be just to get you to your spot if you still need the boat you are hunting in too deep of water. You will still need the netting to hide the boat.
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby frankie78748 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:50 am

Ok. Well I'll be hunting in the bay in south padre and I've already called the game warden and he said I could hunt anywhere in the water but I can't shoot from the bay grounds and I don't live over there so making a blind wouldn't be an option. I'm thinking of finding an island in the water and hunting off of that or going so far out and just finding a pocket to where I could park the boat a distance from me and hide in the grass and it wouldn't really matter. Just looking for any and all suggestions
frankie78748
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:48 pm

1. Scout ... hunt where you find birds.

2. Cut about 5 - 6 bundles (BUNDLES not branches) of mangroves before you go and bring them with you. Make a temp blind out of the mangroves when you get to your spot, anchor your boat on the shoreline, and wade back to the blind.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

What are bay grounds?
:-)
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm

frankie78748 wrote:Ok. Well I'll be hunting in the bay in south padre and I've already called the game warden and he said I could hunt anywhere in the water but I can't shoot from the bay grounds...

That's not 100% accurate... I think ole GW gave you the short answer!! You can legally hunt anywhere (except for in a few counties) below the mean high-low tide boundary and on any shoreline or island that is owned by the state. There is alot of grey area as to exactly where the mean high-low tide boundary is, but during the winter the tides are typically way lower, thus exposing areas of shoreline that would be dry ground and below that boundary. This boundary is not acutally marked so it takes some interpretation and knowledge of the bay system that you are trying to hunt. You can typically tell by the vegetation what part of the shoreline is typically under water. I know it's kinda confusing, but as a hunter you should know your hunting rights as a citizen of the state of Texas.

Feel free to PM me with any questions...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting