First duck hunt advice

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

First duck hunt advice

Postby frankie78748 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Did my research, I've been practicing my duck calls and I'm excited and hopefully it pays off. I'll be doing my first duck hunt next Saturday in the lower Laguna madre just looking for any last minute advice or tips or just good luck :biggrin:
frankie78748
hunter

Re: First duck hunt advice

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Hunt where the birds are, keep your decoys spread out 4-5 feet apart, and use a mojo!!

On the coast, less is more when it comes to calling...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:36 am

First duck hunt ever? Don't blow your calls unless it's a whistle.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:55 am

If you are going to use a call be sure to have decoys out.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:16 am

Wind at your back or quartering...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:26 am

Mojo281 wrote:Hunt where the birds are, keep your decoys spread out 4-5 feet apart, and use a mojo!!

On the coast, less is more when it comes to calling...

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby capthunterdude » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:52 am

Best advice I could ever give you....... hunt with someone who knows what they are doing. The bay is a huge area down here. Lots and lots of water. Lots and lots of places to hunt. This time of year, lots and lots of places to get stuck in or find yourself in a precarious situation.

If you are going to go at it alone.....

1. Make sure you know where you going before you leave the ramp. Things are much different down here from the summer time as far as water goes. The tides will be running very low. Also, it it likely that you are going to be running your boat in the dark at some point. If you go out in the morning, A.M. darkness. If you are out in the afternoon, darkness on the way back in. Be careful!

2. Use as many decoys as you can muster. The more the merrier. I run around 150-200 decoys when hunting the bays. The red heads should be migrating in full force by now. They will raft up big time. Once they do, they will pull every bird in the area. You have to be able to compete with them. If you can find where they want to be to set up a raft, even better. Set up there.

3. Use as many mojos as you can muster, especially if it is calm. You can always pull the mojos if they birds are reacting to them in a negative manner. Remember, it is a huge freaking bay system. There are no backwater marshes here so you have to draw the attention of the birds with everything you have.

4. Don't call. If you are not an above average caller, don't do it. Buy a high roller whistle from Academy to start with. You can also get a 6 in 1. It has a little different tone. Redheads don't care about the calling at all. If you suck they will still come in. If you are a world champion they will still come in. The puddle ducks and other ducks aren't so easy. It could flare them off if you adequate.

5. Don't be afraid to move if they are not using your area. It could save your hunt.

6. Shoot the ducks as soon as they hit the water if they are not dead. Redheads and other divers are tough birds and will swim for hundreds of yards even if mortally wounded. Unless you like chasing ducks for 400-500 yards or more through the bay, swat them on the water right away if there is any indication they are still alive.

7. Be very careful and pay attention to what you are shooting. Try to learn the birds and limits. Curlews are often confused with ducks in early light. There are lots of them here. There are also tons and tons of other shorebirds to be careful of. Redheads can literally be in your decoy spread by the hundreds. The diver hens all look the same in the air. If you don't know what it is, don't shoot it.

Remember, The traffic in the bay right now is almost nothing. Very few people will be out there unless the weather is absolutely gorgeous. Make sure you take precaution necessary.

If you are doing a walk-in hunt some place. First of all, don't tell anyone where you are walking in at as the access to many of these places are almost non-existent. Second, disregard the stuff that applies to the boat travel. Everything else still applies.
capthunterdude
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Be patient and shoot the ducks committed to your spread.
Its cool to get excited but don't get so excited that you throw caution to the wind, forgetting safety, respect, guns in the truck, etc.
If your in a boat make sure all keys have floating key chains. Learned this one the hard way.
Have fun
Everything else captianhunter dude covered pretty well.
Good luck on your first duck hunt. Ahhh to be a virgin again :lol3:
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:32 pm

How'd it go?
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby capthunterdude » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:49 pm

I gues he never made it back from the bay. Maybe its a