I want to go Coot Hunting

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Postby John2315 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm

I want to go Coot hunting. I have at least 3 hunters who will PAY to go Coot hunting. I live near Angleton-but I am willing to travel. Please email me at john@brolawyer.com-- If you have any hunts available.
John2315
Newb

Re: I want to go Coot Hunting

Postby Mojo281 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:56 pm

Coots don't typically decoy like other waterfowl... I've only seen it once in the last 10 years!! Heck, has anyone ever seen coots migrate??

I know a guy that gets covered up with coot in Danbury!! I'll pass your email onto him...

You know they say, "Once you go black, you'll never go back...."
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Saw tons of coot today. Are your paying people just looking to kill lots of birds???

We need to make sure they guy stays away from the coot with the golden necklace.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby John2315 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Yes sir-Looking to do some shooting. We eat them too.
John2315
Newb

Postby CCducker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:34 pm

MOTHER. OF. God.

WHY?
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:42 pm

I have a couple dates open next week. I supply the boat, dog, decoys, and the blind. Fully guided hunts are $200.00/day 3 person minimum...tips are also accepted. Lodging is NOT included, but is available in the area.

Y'all water-swat the coots, and I'll cook em! Grilled some up a couple days ago, and was told they were really good.
:-)
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 pm

:-) wrote:I have a couple dates open next week. I supply the boat, dog, decoys, and the blind. Fully guided hunts are $200.00/day 3 person minimum...tips are also accepted. Lodging is NOT included, but is available in the area.

Y'all water-swat the coots, and I'll cook em! Grilled some up a couple days ago, and was told they were really good.

"was told they were really good" :lol3:
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:54 pm

I didn't try em, but my son & his buddy did. They begged me to let them shoot some on Saturday...I laughed & told them if they cleaned them I'd cook em.

The whole time they were cleaning the ducks & coots I was laughing inside...I was gonna teach them a lesson. Anyway I cooked teal, gadwall, whistling ducks, and a few coot for them on the grill. The favorite was the whistling duck...the coot was a very close second followed by teal, and least favorite was the gadwall. Sounds crazy, but it's true...my 5 & 6 year old girls liked it also. My wife was upset because she cooked a big roast for dinner, and all the kids liked the duck better.

Honestly, I can't get passed how ugly they are, but I guess you can't judge a duck by its color.
:-)
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:58 pm

:-) wrote:I didn't try em, but my son & his buddy did. They begged me to let them shoot some on Saturday...I laughed & told them if they cleaned them I'd cook em.

The whole time they were cleaning the ducks & coots I was laughing inside...I was gonna teach them a lesson. Anyway I cooked teal, gadwall, whistling ducks, and a few coot for them on the grill. The favorite was the whistling duck...the coot was a very close second followed by teal, and least favorite was the gadwall. Sounds crazy, but it's true...my 5 & 6 year old girls liked it also. My wife was upset because she cooked a big roast for dinner, and all the kids liked the duck better.

Honestly, I can't get passed how ugly they are, but I guess you can't judge a duck by its color.

Hmmmmm... Now I'm curious. Lol. If one gives me a shot this weekend I may have to try it out!
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Y'all better hope cooter doesn't have tapatalk! If she sees this she will never bring in birds for y'all.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 pm

:-) wrote:I didn't try em, but my son & his buddy did. They begged me to let them shoot some on Saturday...I laughed & told them if they cleaned them I'd cook em.

not much fun to clean, not a lotta meat either for the effort...but fun to shoot, I hear the legs are a tasty treat
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:55 pm

There is VERY little breast meat on a coot! Most of the meat is in the legs and gizzard...

You won't find me eating any!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:45 am

Coots just have the ugliest beaks and feet and the noise they make is awful. I think I have a deep welled hatred for coots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:11 am

We have thousands and thousands on the lakes down here come on and we will take you on one. Just run the boat threw them in the morning and kill your limit
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:00 am

txhunter90 wrote: Just run the boat threw them in the morning and kill your limit

And that would be illegal...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:25 am

Mojo281 wrote:
txhunter90 wrote: Just run the boat threw them in the morning and kill your limit

And that would be illegal...

Kinda what I was thinking lol
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:35 am

You know. Really this is a management issue, sort of like what's going on with gafftop and hardhead catfish. As a Pouledeau representative, I'd like to remind you all about the delicate balance of our ecosystem. Gafftop, hardhead catfish, and coot, rails, morehens and clappers all must be taken, consumed and returned to the earth via the toilet. If more people kept these critters as table fare, we'd have less giant rafts of coot to worry about running our boats through, less gafftop stealing our croaker and top water lures making us think we had a big ass sow trout on the line … and more gizzards in our skillets. If you've never eaten a coot, you're a giant throbbing magical lady part. For shame the hatred towards such a majestic critter. Be damned those who damn the bird that bless many a gumbo pot and fryer vat.

For shame … for shame …

:biggrin: … LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO … :biggrin:
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:00 am

stumpjumper1590 wrote:Y'all better hope cooter doesn't have tapatalk! If she sees this she will never bring in birds for y'all.

Sent from my busted iPhone

I bet Pouledeau is telling her all about it right now!

Pouledeau wrote:You know. Really this is a management issue, sort of like what's going on with gafftop and hardhead catfish. As a Pouledeau representative, I'd like to remind you all about the delicate balance of our ecosystem. Gafftop, hardhead catfish, and coot, rails, morehens and clappers all must be taken, consumed and returned to the earth via the toilet. If more people kept these critters as table fare, we'd have less giant rafts of coot to worry about running our boats through, less gafftop stealing our croaker and top water lures making us think we had a big ass sow trout on the line … and more gizzards in our skillets. If you've never eaten a coot, you're a giant throbbing magical lady part. For shame the hatred towards such a majestic critter. Be damned those who damn the bird that bless many a gumbo pot and fryer vat.

For shame … for shame …

:biggrin: … LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO … :biggrin:

You can shoot mine for me :thumbsup:
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:30 am

txhunter90 wrote:We have thousands and thousands on the lakes down here come on and we will take you on one. Just run the boat threw them in the morning and kill your limit

Yes I know this. Thanks for reminding me lol
txhunter90
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting