Blinds

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Blinds

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:02 pm

What are y'all's opinions on blinds on public land. I don't really care to hunt them, but just wanted to get everyone's two cents on it. I can see valid points from both sides, if I am seeing a bunch of birds around a blind then I'm probably gonna wanna hunt it. However, if it was my blind I would be mad if someone was hunting it when I showed up. Soooooo I'm just bored and want to here everyone's input!

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Re: Blinds

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:36 pm

This should be good lol. I say on public everything is fair game... I've heard the blinds down in your area aren't to natural looking though.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm

it's fair game to first come first serve...which is rarely me
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:03 pm

A blind on public land is a public blind available to all, first come first served.
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 pm

I hunted a blind sunday evening and homedude rolled up in his air boat about an hour after i showed up. He was beyond pissed but he couldnt do anything on public land. And i sat there a killed a 3 man limit on teal while he sat there 300yds from me and didnt shoot sheeet. Ducks hittin up blinds on public land = fair game to me :smile:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby mtsooner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Public Land is fair game...period. You pay taxes on that land right? Then you have the right to use that blind.

If someone wants no one to use it, then go buy a bleepin' piece of land and put your blind on it! I can't stand people that think they have "rights" on public land...the reason it's public is for everyone's use.
"The more you know, the less you carry." -Mors Kochanski
mtsooner
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:This should be good lol. I say on public everything is fair game... I've heard the blinds down in your area aren't to natural looking though.

;)
That's kinda what I was hoping for.
Plus they aren't natural looking at all, looks like something you would drive your boat up too and order a hotdog.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Haha that's great stump!!! Might be a good business venture.... Sell hotdogs to all the guides clients rolling by after the hunt lol. The stands are already there for ya to use.
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 pm

I can see it now!
HONEY HOLE HOTDOGS
Shoot your limit and eat your fill all in one spot.
63% all natural beef!!!

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Duck Collector wrote:I hunted a blind sunday evening and homedude rolled up in his air boat about an hour after i showed up. He was beyond pissed but he couldnt do anything on public land. And i sat there a killed a 3 man limit on teal while he sat there 300yds from me and didnt shoot sheeet. Ducks hittin up blinds on public land = fair game to me :smile:

Oh, so that was you...
:-)
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Blinds on public land are fair game, but it bothers me to sit in a blind someone else worked hard to build. Seems like I'm always looking over my shoulder.

Also, a few years ago I put out decoys around 21:00, and when I showed up in the morning the tide was so far out I couldn't get to the blind...came back when tide came in, and they were all gone. 8 dozen decoys gone, and 0 ducks. I learned 2 lessons...some guides are scum, and I needed an airboat to hunt the coast.
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Get your hot dogs and funnel cake here!!

I have ALWAYS hunted out of the natural vegetation on the coast and been plenty successful. When scouting it always seems like birds will sit between two blinds and never in front of them... I'll even bring layouts if the cover is sparse, but I do alot of things different then most on the coast. Can't wait to get down there the weekend after Thanksgiving!!

One bit of advice... If someone rolls up and you are hunting their blind, pull out your phone and video their interaction with you. When things get too heated, you'll have evidence of hunter harassment. You have every right to be there!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 am

:-) wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:I hunted a blind sunday evening and homedude rolled up in his air boat about an hour after i showed up. He was beyond pissed but he couldnt do anything on public land. And i sat there a killed a 3 man limit on teal while he sat there 300yds from me and didnt shoot sheeet. Ducks hittin up blinds on public land = fair game to me :smile:

Oh, so that was you...

You bein serious? Lol
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 am

Duck Collector wrote:

Oh, so that was you...

You bein serious? Lol

This could've been fun, but I don't want any bad mojo going into the weekend. No, I'm not bein serious.
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:42 am

Generally speaking, old blinds make great props for Cowan paintings … they're pretty nostalgic of our heritage and actually, I suppose a few of them look pretty cool in the marsh while you're fishing … BUT I wish the people who put so much "sweat and tears" into those blinds put that same effort into REMOVING them.

You see so many "I found some guy in my blind threads" on line … every year … talking about all the effort and money they poured into that glorious piece of ****, yet once the season rolls around to spring, not a single one of those marsh ape potlicking morons comes back to collect that oh so precious material they're protecting ...
Last edited by Pouledeau on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:59 am

I wonder what happen too respect on the marsh and when this "f@*# you I'm first" mentality started? I was taught if the owner shows before shooting time you move on, because you should of scouted anyway and know more then one spot.

I helped a buddy build a blind so he could take his son hunting and if I pulled up to it and there's someone in there I'm going to be civil as can be and show them pics of the build. Hell there's room in the blind I'd introduce myself, throw out the deal of teaming up and whacking some birds! If respect is dead then what's the point of hunting anymore?
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:24 am

Respect for the blind builder was lost when blinds started popping up on every stretch of shoreline every 300 yards!!

Respect for the blind builder was lost when those jack wagons started to make claim of their own 600 yard stretch of PUBLIC land by building a blind to begin with, let alone building 4-5 of them each!

Again, I don't hunt out of those hotdog stands but I do think there are just too many of them. I personally wish Texas would pass a no blind law on public land or at least a build and remove law, bc it is just getting ridiculous!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 am

Seems kinda lazy to build a blind on PUBLIC land, then show up later than another guy expecting him to stay away from your PUBLIC land. I also like pouledeau's point, if you take the time to build it then take the time to remove it. Respect goes both ways in my opinion... A hunter wants another to respect the fact that he built a blind on PUBLIC land but doesn't want to respect that hunter for getting up earlier than him. As well as the blind builder doesn't respect the land or the other people who use it by leaving said blind on public land to become a hazard or trash pile. Just my thoughts...
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:03 am

Mojo281 wrote:Respect for the blind builder was lost when blinds started popping up on every stretch of shoreline every 300 yards!!

Respect for the blind builder was lost when those jack wagons started to make claim of their own 600 yard stretch of PUBLIC land by building a blind to begin with, let alone building 4-5 of them each!

Again, I don't hunt out of those hotdog stands but I do think there are just too many of them. I personally wish Texas would pass a no blind law on public land or at least a build and remove law, bc it is just getting ridiculous!!

I know of one area that produces birds that one guy has 6 blinds in. All in a attempt to keep others out.

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:10 am

Duck Collector wrote:

Oh, so that was you...

You bein serious? Lol

This could've been fun, but I don't want any bad mojo going into the weekend. No, I'm not bein serious.

Ha good. I was like oh sheet thats awkward..
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 am

Public blinds are a joke. If you don't want someone hunting your blind take it down every day and put it back up in the morning. Last interaction I had with a guide who got pissed at us had clients in the boat and swore up and down then tore through our spread.

We weren't even hunting the blind but about 30 yards away from it in some cover. Also accused us of cleaning birds behind the blind and shooting over the limit. Last time we had hunted the coast was 3 weeks prior.

I'd rather respect the public land than respect the propery of someone who put something on public land.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 am

stumpjumper1590 wrote:
Mojo281 wrote:Respect for the blind builder was lost when blinds started popping up on every stretch of shoreline every 300 yards!!

I know of one area that produces birds that one guy has 6 blinds in. All in a attempt to keep others out.

I can understand these points and building six blinds is a chicken chit move IMO, he just built five blinds for others to hunt. I feel it ought to be one blind per hunter/guide, and when it becomes unhuntable you either fix it or tear it down. Only time I hunt the blind I mentioned is when I take a beginner or kids, rest of my hunting is done with brush blinds I place in spots I can pick up and move them or haul them in that morning.
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:20 am

Russ-n-Brazoria wrote:
stumpjumper1590 wrote:

I can understand these points and building six blinds is a chicken chit move IMO, he just built five blinds for others to hunt. I feel it ought to be one blind per hunter/guide, and when it becomes unhuntable you either fix it or tear it down. Only time I hunt the blind I mentioned is when I take a beginner or kids, rest of my hunting is done with brush blinds I place in spots I can pick up and move them or haul them in that morning.

20 people build 20 blinds, blinds are spaced out 100 yards evenly. The other hunters who did not build a blind now have over 1 mile of coast that they can't hunt. Seems fair.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby mtsooner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:22 am

Any hunter that attempts to push me out of a public spot, anywhere in the country, will first meet Mr. Glock 10mm (and no I'm not brandishing a weapon as a threat), then he'll get a friendly visit from a local game warden.

We all pay taxes for access to land we can't afford or that's not for sale and never will be. I just moved to Texas and haven't even been out hunting yet, but my God, you guys are making it sound like it's some sort of elitist club on the water, and if you show up to have a nice hunt, some jackwagon will ruin it! Hardly speaks highly of Texas sportsmen. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. There are PLENTY of birds for all of us!
Last edited by mtsooner on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The more you know, the less you carry." -Mors Kochanski
mtsooner
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:41 am

mtsooner wrote:Any hunter that attempts to push me out of a public spot, anywhere in the country, will first meet Mr. Glock 10mm, then he'll get a friendly visit from a local game warden.

We all pay taxes for access to land we can't afford or that's not for sale and never will be. I just moved to Texas and haven't even been out hunting yet, but my God, you guys are making it sound like it's some sort of elitist club on the water, and if you show up to have a nice hunt, some jackwagon will ruin it! Hardly speaks highly of Texas sportsmen. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. There are PLENTY of birds for all of us!

It isn't all of Texas. Every great place has a few jackasses you gotta deal with :no:
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting