Blinds

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Re: Blinds

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 pm

mtsooner wrote:Any hunter that attempts to push me out of a public spot, anywhere in the country, will first meet Mr. Glock 10mm, then he'll get a friendly visit from a local game warden.

We all pay taxes for access to land we can't afford or that's not for sale and never will be. I just moved to Texas and haven't even been out hunting yet, but my God, you guys are making it sound like it's some sort of elitist club on the water, and if you show up to have a nice hunt, some jackwagon will ruin it! Hardly speaks highly of Texas sportsmen. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. There are PLENTY of birds for all of us!

Ummmmmmmmmmm. Yes ... GREAT idea, because a deadly conduct charge is worth filing a hunter harassment charge.

The good do exist within the entitled. Leave the pistol at home. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with that comment, but you're going to end up dead with that kind of mentality. If they don't get you first while your brandishing a weapon ... they might wait for you at the dock with an AR.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby mtsooner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:55 pm

I NEVER leave my sidearm at home when on public land. I've learned the hard way, and no need to brandish anything. Being on your person is my 2nd amendment right and it's a great deterrent to people that might choose to be an idiot. No need to make any sort of threat, and I'm not that type of person...just always concerned about my own personal defense.

I might be new to Texas, but I'm still a southern boy and don't put up with B.S.

Don't read more into a post than what's there, Pouledeau.
"The more you know, the less you carry." -Mors Kochanski
mtsooner
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Don't argue with him pouledeau, he will cyber shoot you!!!

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:46 pm

mtsooner wrote:I NEVER leave my sidearm at home when on public land. I've learned the hard way, and no need to brandish anything. Being on your person is my 2nd amendment right and it's a great deterrent to people that might choose to be an idiot. No need to make any sort of threat, and I'm not that type of person...just always concerned about my own personal defense.

I might be new to Texas, but I'm still a southern boy and don't put up with B.S.

Don't read more into a post than what's there, Pouledeau.

All fine and dandy but none of the WMA's around me that I hunt allow pistols, rifles, slugs, or buckshot.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Told you this would get good stump lol
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby mtsooner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:54 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:All fine and dandy but none of the WMA's around me that I hunt allow pistols, rifles, slugs, or buckshot.

Ah, now there's a whole other angle! Thank you for that WW, I didn't know that yet. Therefore I retract my previous two statements...guess it'll stay in the truck, LOL.
mtsooner
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:56 pm

WW, I was told by the GW that a chl allowed you to carry on the wma... Not sure how valid it is but might be worth a look. I do agree it's not necessary to drawn down or even mention pulling a pistol on someone over a blind!!! I was always taught to never pull a gun unless you intend to pull the trigger.
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:14 pm

As far as blinds on public I've never used them. Have a buddy that was a helicopter pilot running guys to oil rigs and back. He said from the air there is nothing natural looking about them at all. All brushed up they just stick out. That being said if I did build one I would place a name plate in it somewhere hoping that if I arrived second it the person there would have enough courtesy to let me have the blind or at least hunt with them.

Now onto the Glock.
Really???
"Yes your honor that's right. He built the blind that I was hunting in and asked me to leave and I refused. We had words so I shot him,".
Try defending your second amendment rights against that and a civil case. Pretty sure in the CHL class I took the law says you can not start a dispute then pull your firearm to defend yourself. Not to mention your day of hunting is ruined also unless your planning on adding a dead guy to your spread.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby mtsooner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:I was always taught to never pull a gun unless you intend to pull the trigger.

I was taught the same thing, Indiancreekducks87. I was also shown directly, by a game warden in Colorado, that a simple firearm on one's side can keep unscrupulous individuals from attempting anything stupid, not to mention, protection against predators...no need to ever do anything with it directly unless your life was in eminent danger.

Having it on my side is peace of mind and saved my treestand getting stolen in Colorado when I caught the individual in the act! I did nothing with the firearm. I approached him and told him that belonged to me and that I'd show him my initials on the underside of it. He was indignant until he noticed the firearm on my side, afterward backed down and acknowledged "he might have made a mistake in what stand was his", umm..yeh, right. I don't frivolously carry a firearm...EVER!

I didn't say any of that originally to appear like some a**hole, B.A. dude...just maybe an idea for any of you to keep morons at bay. I didn't know it was prohibited in many areas. I'll need to check into that.
mtsooner
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Cool. Def check on it before you carry.. Be safe out there....
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby webfootbecker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Definitely been an interesting conversation...and helpful. As a new Texan, I to am planning a trip to the coast in early January. While on Google maps the other day, I actually became amazed at the number of blinds in the Port Aransas area (I counted over 300!!). Being from Florida, this is unheard of. Cant recall even 1 permanent blind in my 30 years hunting in Florida. Very few guide services also. In my younger years, I never minded getting into a 3am shouting match, but now, with a 10 year old kid who tags along everywhere I go, it is not worth it and definitely puts a damper on the hunt. I try and see both sides of the story (these guides have to also feed their families), but it has gone way too far. I spoke with a guide the other day that claimed he brushed out over 40 blinds (on public lands)! Don't see that being very ethical. I am going to give it a shot this winter, but more than likely, from what I am reading, it may not be worth the hassle. What a shame
webfootbecker
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:WW, I was told by the GW that a chl allowed you to carry on the wma... Not sure how valid it is but might be worth a look. I do agree it's not necessary to drawn down or even mention pulling a pistol on someone over a blind!!! I was always taught to never pull a gun unless you intend to pull the trigger.

You may not:
5. Use rifles, pistols, or shotguns with buckshot or slugs.

Guess it could be interpreted as you can't use them but can have them?? But then again I'm not allowed to have lead duck hunting even if I have no intention of using it. Only reason I'd ever bring a pistol is because of hogs or coyotes. Some spots I walk into I'll load 3 1/2" BB for just the walk and then take them out when I get to my spot.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:11 pm

I agree WW I wouldn't carry a pistol either I was just saying what green jeans said. I would much rather have the shotgun ready walking in the dark with just a headlight on lol.

Just a heads up ya might check some of the corp of engineer rules if you are hunting their places. On one of the lakes I hunt the biggest shot you are allowed to carry is #2. Not busting your balls just a heads up... I saw a guy get a ticket for BB.
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 pm

mtsooner wrote:I didn't say any of that originally to appear like some a**hole, B.A. dude...just maybe an idea for any of you to keep morons at bay. I didn't know it was prohibited in many areas. I'll need to check into that.

You want to carry a gun for peace of mind – fine. But what you’re talking about is still a terrible idea ... “rights” aside (because I really don’t think you’re talking about your rights here) ... what your saying is that intimidation through the use of a sidearm is fair compensation for getting asked to leave a public blind.

No one here is talking about the 2nd Amendment, personal defense, predators, or tree stand theft except for you. No offense, but if your “solution” to public blind disputes is “carry a pistol” … you NEED to stay in the truck, cause this is the type of b.s. that eventually gets someone hurt over nothing. Unless you run into someone trafficing on the back side of S. Padre, I'd serioulsy doubt anyone in our bay systems could be that rash as to need a gun on your belt to show them the lighter side of things.

Now, since we're still talking about duck hunters here ... do you really think anyone cradling a 12 gauge is going to give a second thought to what’s on your belt … ?
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:33 pm

Soooooooo... Stump, you just gonna be selling hot dogs out of one of those stands? I'm thinking you should think about brats, beverages, maybe some tacos.....
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:39 pm

SATX duckman wrote:That being said if I did build one I would place a name plate in it somewhere hoping that if I arrived second it the person there would have enough courtesy to let me have the blind or at least hunt with them.

I don't care if your name is gold-plated on that blind, I'm still gonna hunt it if it suits me. If you were to ask nicely, I'd have no problem with sharing the blind with you (or anyone for that matter). The problem is when people feel that they are entitled to a blind on public land just because they built it.
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby mtsooner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Pouledeau wrote:No one here is talking about the 2nd Amendment, personal defense, predators, or tree stand theft except for you. No offense, but if your “solution” to public blind disputes is “carry a pistol” … you NEED to stay in the truck, cause this is the type of b.s. that eventually gets someone hurt over nothing. Unless you run into someone trafficing on the back side of S. Padre, I'd serioulsy doubt anyone in our bay systems could be that rash as to need a gun on your belt to show them the lighter side of things

We'll have to agree to disagree Pouledeau. No one has the right to ask, suggest, get irritated because of, when someone is in a blind on public land, and yeh, in this day and age with the ignorance of people, I can see something potentially escalating because of it. So, I'd rather be armed with something other than a shotgun with #2 shot in it.

This is just my opinion, and probably not worth much. Sorry guys if I stirred the pot too much.
mtsooner
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:30 pm

mtsooner wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree Pouledeau. No one has the right to ask, suggest, get irritated because of, when someone is in a blind on public land, and yeh, in this day and age with the ignorance of people, I can see something potentially escalating because of it. So, I'd rather be armed with something other than a shotgun with #2 shot in it.

This is just my opinion, and probably not worth much. Sorry guys if I stirred the pot too much.

Fights do happen on rare occasion. It’s still not worth having a gun in the mix. I'll tell ya' what. Let's settle this at the fun range.

We'll have three competitions under pressure and timed. You with your trusty sidearm and me with my 28" barrel full of no. 2's. $100 per target - 5 yards, 15 yards, and 30 yards. If you can outdraw me with my shoty vs. your pistol, fire, AND put the bullet in the vitals before my shotgun goes off (and it will be in the vitals) at any yardage … I'll concede to your point.

For the purpose of this exercise, full duck hunting gear, waders and camo will be required.

Although. Knowing what I know about vectors, shot patterns, home invasion, and knowing who I know that teach CHL courses and personal defense courses - if you wanna settle up before the shoot, you can just owe me $150 … 50% savings isn’t bad pro … !
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:26 pm

So after thinking about this a while I believe there is a better way. The problem with politics is its full of politicians.

Writing your local representative and have them change things. Guides make their living off of public land. Perhaps if they build a blind they need to pay a tax on it. $500-1,000 a year per blind. That applies to all others that build blinds on public property. Have some sort of system that they must tag the blind give its exact GPS coordinates to the state and register the blind. The state can have a particular date that they blinds can be erected and another date that they must be taken down!!! If its left up beyond that date it becomes state property and can be listed on the TPWD website. From there you can pay a fee to reserve that particular blind up to one hour before legal shooting time. That being said that particular person will have exclusive rights to the blind up to one hour before legal shooting time. So if shooting time is a 6:30 am they aren't in it by 5:30am its free game. State makes money and people know that they cant be asked to leave the blind 30 min before shooting time, and also insures a guide that he will have his blind if his people are there 1hr before shooting time. By making them take the blinds down or surrender them to the state it keeps guides from getting the premium spots for hunting every year.

Now onto people leaving decoys at blinds that aren't being used...
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby mtsooner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:32 pm

SATX duckman wrote:Perhaps if they build a blind they need to pay a tax on it. $500-1,000 a year per blind. That applies to all others that build blinds on public property. Have some sort of system that they must tag the blind give its exact GPS coordinates to the state and register the blind. The state can have a particular date that they blinds can be erected and another date that they must be taken down!!! If its left up beyond that date it becomes state property and can be listed on the TPWD website. From there you can pay a fee to reserve that particular blind up to one hour before legal shooting time. That being said that particular person will have exclusive rights to the blind up to one hour before legal shooting time. So if shooting time is a 6:30 am they aren't in it by 5:30am its free game. State makes money and people know that they cant be asked to leave the blind 30 min before shooting time, and also insures a guide that he will have his blind if his people are there 1hr before shooting time. By making them take the blinds down or surrender them to the state it keeps guides from getting the premium spots for hunting every year.

:clapping: You need to be at the State level, my friend! Brilliant thinking.
mtsooner
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:53 pm

mtsooner wrote:I was taught the same thing, Indiancreekducks87. I was also shown directly, by a game warden in Colorado, that a simple firearm on one's side can keep unscrupulous individuals from attempting anything stupid, not to mention, protection against predators...no need to ever do anything with it directly unless your life was in eminent danger.

Having it on my side is peace of mind and saved my treestand getting stolen in Colorado when I caught the individual in the act! I did nothing with the firearm. I approached him and told him that belonged to me and that I'd show him my initials on the underside of it. He was indignant until he noticed the firearm on my side, afterward backed down and acknowledged "he might have made a mistake in what stand was his", umm..yeh, right. I don't frivolously carry a firearm...EVER!

I didn't say any of that originally to appear like some a**hole, B.A. dude...just maybe an idea for any of you to keep morons at bay. I didn't know it was prohibited in many areas. I'll need to check into that.

So....

You saved your stand...

On public land...

With a pistol???:):):):)
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby mtsooner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Nice try. I set the stand up the night before hunting, and it wasn't fixed or permanent. He wasn't sitting in it, he was stealing it.

Again, I didn't use any firearm, I was wearing one.

Nice to know your the cyber sheriff around these parts, though, Russ. I feel safer now.

Sent from my Tapatalk
mtsooner
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:52 pm

The guides on the Texas Coast have the GW's in their pocket...that's why they feel like they run the show & own the blinds.

I launched my airboat the other day, and left my truck/trailer too close to the water I guess. When I got back to shore this lady GW walked over and told me that if it had been duck season the guides would've had my truck towed, and grinned like a lil smart azz biotch.

What gives the guides special rights to public land, and why would the GW's be so supportive? The only thing I can figure is that the idiots paying to hunt public land don't know what their shooting, and it's easy revenue for the state.

P.S. I've killed several deer and beaver while duck hunting, and 3" #3's are pretty deadly! No need for a pistol when I have Sasha with me. Lol
:-)
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:Soooooooo... Stump, you just gonna be selling hot dogs out of one of those stands? I'm thinking you should think about brats, beverages, maybe some tacos.....

:lol: :beer: I'd stop by for sure :thumbsup:

Does anyone just sit in the brush anymore? I have made a brush blind on occasion when cover is scarce. If some one beats me to it so be it, I cut some more and brush up my back up spot. Another plus is they blow over after the first storm and dont trash out our public waters. I don't hunt permanent blinds therefore avoid the tools that want to fight over um.
Getting shot over a blind. Stupid and far too serious for 6 ducks.

I' d rather my ulegy read "he died wrestling a 14 foot gator for his spot and the gator is recovering at the wildlife rehabilitation center" instead of "shot by a hot head over a hot dog stand.......I mean duck blind"
Last edited by Barney#1 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:11 pm

All I hunt is brush blinds/ natural vegetation, soon to add a layout blind
TexasHunter96
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Texas Duck Hunting