Duck hunting lake Ray Roberts

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Duck hunting lake Ray Roberts

Postby landon__odell23 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Looking to hunt Ray Roberts over thanksgiving week. Wondering if anyone had some good spots that they'd used before. Shore hunting. I understand people don't want to give away any honey holes on public land, just a general area of where some good hunting is. Only get to go once maybe twice a year. Looking to hunt the northeast corner of the lake - off of the 922 bridge. But open to any suggestions. Thanks!
landon__odell23
hunter

Re: Duck hunting lake Ray Roberts

Postby landon__odell23 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Also, I know the "get off the computer and go scout" comments are coming. I'm in school all day and my dad works. Gonna try to scout over thanksgiving break if we hunt later in the week. Once again thanks!
landon__odell23
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Do you have school 7 days a week?.....
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby RShockley » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:10 pm

I could give you every area I have hunted in the past 4 years and it wouldn't matter. Scout a day or two in advance to see what area the birds are using at that time. Due to the hunting pressure the pattern on the lake change often. That's about as much help as anyone is going to give you on locations. Get a map and start driving. Good luck!
RShockley
hunter

Postby landon__odell23 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:10 am

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:Do you have school 7 days a week?.....

No. But I have baseball tournaments every weekend
landon__odell23
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:28 am

Start with the access points...
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:46 am

landon__odell23 wrote:
Indiancreekducks87 wrote:Do you have school 7 days a week?.....

No. But I have baseball tournaments every weekend

Oh...........
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:10 pm

I told my boss I didn't have time to work but if he would just give me the money I'd sure appreciate it.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:13 pm

tako1972 wrote:I told my boss I didn't have time to work but if he would just give me the money I'd sure appreciate it.

Hahaha!!!! Fantastic!
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:55 pm

landon__odell23 wrote:Also, I know the "get off the computer and go scout" comments are coming. I'm in school all day and my dad works.

Yet you posted anyway as if you thought none of us have any damn obligations that keep us from scouting, therefore we’d agree it’d be ok for you to lake name and cyber scout.

:fingerhead:
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:29 pm

I can tell you where to go, but you'll need a layout boat. You'll also need at lease 20-30 dozen decoys, and some long stakes for the 30 Mojo's you'll also need...floating Mojo's could work.

In my experience with duck hunting the deeper open water is better. You may think I'm being dishonest, but I'm not. The most ducks I've ever seen on any body of water was out in the wide open middle...you can ask anyone that's hunted long enough and they'll confirm what I'm saying.

You may not get em every time out, but if you catch the migration just right it's like nothing you've ever seen. I can only assume that when the big groups are flying south they need to rest...I've seen days where thousandsssss of ducks funnel in flock after flock right out in the middle of open water. They don't have any pressure from hunters out there...ducks are smarter than ya think, and they gotsta get rest every once in awhile.

I think that you could witness this next Tuesday...you have to be ready because they'll be gone the next day. Sounds crazy, but true...you'll be disappointed if you don't go try it. It's worth all the money you'll spend getting ready.
:-)
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting