sinking into mud fix???

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

sinking into mud fix???

Postby SATX duckman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:40 am

Silly question I know but a few places i hunt we spend more time hauling through mud that we keep sinking in. Its not so bad for me I have bootie fit waders with shoes but my hunting partner constantley pulls his feet out of his waders with the wader still stuck in the muck.

My question is does anyone or has anyone ever used snow shoes to stay on top of the muck going to and from the blind?
SATX duckman
hunter

Re: sinking into mud fix???

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Snow shoes suck PERIOD! I lived in Alaska I would know.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:00 pm

You should call these ladies up... I think they like mud!!
mudders.jpg
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:20 pm

He could sit in a jet sled and you could just pull him to the blind.

I haven't found a solution except avoid that type of mud. Best thing I've found is just wiggling your foot side to side before pulling it out. Nothing worse than chasing a bird with your gun in your hand and sink to your knees and fall forward with mud up to your elbow trying to keep your gun out of the mud.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby SATX duckman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:31 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote:Snow shoes suck PERIOD! I lived in Alaska I would know.

I spent 6 years in Anchorage ive seen my fair share of snow. Just looking to see if anyone had tried it before. We do our best to avoid it but sometimes u just cant. And yes falling foreward dunking ur elbows and gun into that stuff isnt much fun.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3PzgYB8cLQ

.....I guess it could maybe work, but good luck carrying a gun, blind bag, and decoys while trying to walk in those in mud. It might prevent you from sinking, but you wont get anywhere fast.
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Cans: 2
Bufflehead: 1
Redhead: 2
Mallard: 1
Gadwall: 13
Green Wing: 2
Spoony: 6
Pintail: 3
Ringneck: 5
mottled: 2
lesser scaup: 1
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:44 pm

I just recently bought the wading stick from Mojo. It has an orange, tulip shaped, bulb towards the bottom. It is meant to help you walk in muddy areas. I used it on the Texas coast this past weekend and it worked great. As far as your foot pulling out i use the Orvis breathable bootfoot waders, but the boots have laces to provide a snugger fit.
Lefty Ray
I shoot a SBEII Max 5, Benelli SuperNova, Franci Affinity, and a Canon 7D

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Postby rrkyle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:He could sit in a jet sled and you could just pull him to the blind.

I haven't found a solution except avoid that type of mud. Best thing I've found is just wiggling your foot side to side before pulling it out. Nothing worse than chasing a bird with your gun in your hand and sink to your knees and fall forward with mud up to your elbow trying to keep your gun out of the mud.

:lol: Ha I remember when that happened!
rrkyle
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Lefty Ray wrote:I just recently bought the wading stick from Mojo. It has an orange, tulip shaped, bulb towards the bottom. It is meant to help you walk in muddy areas. I used it on the Texas coast this past weekend and it worked great. As far as your foot pulling out i use the Orvis breathable bootfoot waders, but the boots have laces to provide a snugger fit.

A fat stick does the exact same thing for free.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:56 am

I have an airboat I'll sell you...it will get you, and your gear to the blind with ease.
:-)
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:08 am

Don't walk in 2 ft mud. Problem solved.
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby RShockley » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 am

:-) wrote:I have an airboat I'll sell you...it will get you, and your gear to the blind with ease.

How much for the airboat? Lol
RShockley
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:49 pm

I'd like to get $12,500.00 for it...everything on it is brand new. It's a smaller Florida style boat, but it gets the job done.
If you're interested you're welcome to come down, and I'll take you on a hunt so you can see what it will do.
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:30 pm

or he could spend a couple bucks on ducttape wrap around ankle and your feet wont come out of the boot>. now getting the boot out of the mud is something different!!
frydaddy
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:56 pm

:-) wrote:I'd like to get $12,500.00 for it...everything on it is brand new. It's a smaller Florida style boat, but it gets the job done.
If you're interested you're welcome to come down, and I'll take you on a hunt so you can see what it will do.

I'm thinking we load up mojo281 and the girls along with your airboat drive out to the coot shoot and have them serve us. :grooving:
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby :-) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm thinking we load up mojo281 and the girls along with your airboat drive out to the coot shoot and have them serve us. :grooving:[/quote]

Come on down...I just put 200#'s of corn out by the Cooter Hole, and expect the hunting to be first class! You'll never want to hunt without baiting ever again!
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:10 pm

The coot shoot is also having a cold front, cold beer night!
1$ beers and 2$ everything else!
Come on by, the cooters girls will be out in full force and we will have a hottest cooter contest!

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby rrkyle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:45 pm

:-) wrote:I'm thinking we load up mojo281 and the girls along with your airboat drive out to the coot shoot and have them serve us. :grooving:

Come on down...I just put 200#'s of corn out by the Cooter Hole, and expect the hunting to be first class! You'll never want to hunt without baiting ever again![/quote]

Hey guys serious question here- dont want to start a thread and get crap rained on me.

Does baiting work? How would you do it? Pour corn in the water? Maybe sink a bag?

To me it seems like if you have ducks you have ducks. I don't see how it could make ducks come in that normally would fly right over. Unless they can see corn a mile up..

I've always been curious because I've never seen it or heard of somebody actually do it.

I won't ever do it because I like my guns and money and don't like the thought of giving either to the game warden.
rrkyle
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Hell yes baiting works!!!
Just have to use rice and plant lots of it in a field then harvest very little of it and hunt in it. Works everytime for guides in Texas. Thats why they put concrete blinds in those fields. They just legalize it by "harvesting" the crop. Im sure they make more on selling hunts then they get off farming. Plus you get a tax write off for farming. Its a win win.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby rrkyle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Well I know about rice fields, I grew up hunting those in South LA, and yes they work!

I'm more talking about the people that say they put corn and oats in the water or on the bank.
rrkyle
hunter

sinking into mud fix???

Postby :-) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:03 am

Yes it works, and yes corn can be seen from very high up...it sparkles like gold on a sunny day!

You just spread it out wherever you want to hold birds...usually in water less than 12" deep.

Just be careful, and stay legal. There's not a duck out there worth getting fines over.
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:41 am

Ducks don't like corn...

IMG_3058.JPG
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby rrkyle » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:56 am

Geez!! That picture. I'm building my blind out of a septic tank buried in corn next year, it's not baiting since its a blind! Haha

And thanks for the replies. I've just always been curious. If I would have posted a separate thread it would have been a cluster **** and last 19 pages before it got deleted.
rrkyle
hunter

Postby :-) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Yea there are some real winners over in the honey hole...you tell some of those guys you put corn out in a hole to hold birds, and they'll go ape chit crazy!
hunter

Postby bowtexan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Lol! Hi guys. This is my first post on this forum. Funny how this thread went from stuck in the mud to baiting holes... Only in Texas. My question is how do you bait a hole and stay legal if your pouring corn out? Other than what he don't know or find won't hurt him?
bowtexan
Newb

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting