DFW advice

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

DFW advice

Postby kham53 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59 pm

I am from DFW and off at school right now. I will finally be able to head home over thanksgiving break after not being home for 8 months and was wanting to sneak off and hunt one morning. I haven't had the time to hunt where I am now or head home ever so I am not up-to-date on the conditions and general flight patterns. Does anyone know of any good areas, as far as public lakes, that are holding birds that I could look into?
kham53
hunter

Re: DFW advice

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 pm

All the ducks have been shot out.....
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm in the same boat...does anyone have any good hunting spots scouted out in Texas? Please let me know. I'm not looking for your honey hole, but exact locations, and flight pattern information is welcome. I'm not afraid to work, and I have 6 new decoys plus a baby mojo. Let me know if you need a hunting partner, and I'll show up the day of the hunt ready to go!
:-)
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 pm

All ducks are at the coast now
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:19 am

Birds on the coast got hit HARD this past weekend, pushed them all down to Mexico.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:53 am

stumpjumper1590 wrote:Birds on the coast got hit HARD this past weekend, pushed them all down to Mexico.

Sent from my busted iPhone

Can you please be more specific on where they are located in Mexico? I think I'm going to try Laguna Atascosa...I heard a rumor that ducks were thick in there, and it should be a little safer than Mexico.

BTW...It really hurts my feelings that only a couple people responded, and nobody gave me any of the specific information I asked for. Y'all should be ashamed, and you need to learn how to be nice.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give me.
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 am

I hear the cartel puts on some great hunts.
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Cans: 2
Bufflehead: 1
Redhead: 2
Mallard: 1
Gadwall: 13
Green Wing: 2
Spoony: 6
Pintail: 3
Ringneck: 5
mottled: 2
lesser scaup: 1
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:34 am

kham53 wrote:I am from DFW and off at school right now. I will finally be able to head home over thanksgiving break after not being home for 8 months and was wanting to sneak off and hunt one morning. I haven't had the time to hunt where I am now or head home ever so I am not up-to-date on the conditions and general flight patterns. Does anyone know of any good areas, as far as public lakes, that are holding birds that I could look into?

You're off at school and you don't have time to hunt? I remember when I was in college. During fall semester, I would schedule all my classes for like 10-11, rather than the earlier times. I would basically hunt every single morning.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 am

Crazy Matt wrote:
kham53 wrote:I am from DFW and off at school right now. I will finally be able to head home over thanksgiving break after not being home for 8 months and was wanting to sneak off and hunt one morning. I haven't had the time to hunt where I am now or head home ever so I am not up-to-date on the conditions and general flight patterns. Does anyone know of any good areas, as far as public lakes, that are holding birds that I could look into?

You're off at school and you don't have time to hunt? I remember when I was in college. During fall semester, I would schedule all my classes for like 10-11, rather than the earlier times. I would basically hunt every single morning.

Why even go to class I say!
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Pouledeau wrote:Why even go to class I say!

Let's see... Duck hunt or go to class... Tough decision, unless you are going to MIT or something!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:35 pm

maybe he is paying his own way. its alot eazier to screw around when daddy is paying for it. but im with you guys on scheduling classes for later in the day.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby kham53 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:49 pm

I am a science major working on my senior thesis and heavy classes that keep me in the lab all of the time, on top of studying for my GRE for grad school. I spend most of my weekend on field studies and don't have the opportunity to go scouting.
kham53
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:50 pm

kham53 wrote:I am a science major working on my senior thesis and heavy classes that keep me in the lab all of the time, on top of studying for my GRE for grad school. I spend most of my weekend on field studies and don't have the opportunity to go scouting.

Will you be home the whole week of thanksgiving?
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby kham53 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 am

Yes, I will be getting into town this Friday, 11/22, and leave the following Sunday, 12/1
kham53
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:32 am

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:
kham53 wrote:I am a science major working on my senior thesis and heavy classes that keep me in the lab all of the time, on top of studying for my GRE for grad school. I spend most of my weekend on field studies and don't have the opportunity to go scouting.

Will you be home the whole week of thanksgiving?

So then you have over a week to scout and put a hunt or two together right?
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby kham53 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 am

I was hoping to get an idea and game plan together ahead of time for general scouting, yes.
kham53
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:39 am

kham53 wrote:I was hoping to get an idea and game plan together ahead of time for general scouting, yes.

Oh so you just wanted to know like what lake was hot and holding the most birds? Or whT?
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby kham53 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:50 am

I want to know if I should look North, South, East, West of DFW... anything other than basically being told, don't bother.
kham53
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 am

kham53 wrote:I want to know if I should look North, South, East, West of DFW... anything other than basically being told, don't bother.

Since you want someone else to do it for you, use this

http://www.ducks.org/migrationmap/
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby kham53 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 am

I wasn't asking anyone to do it all for me at all, I was asking advice from fellow hunters to help me get on the right track. Thank you for the map, it helped me a lot.
kham53
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:59 am

kham53 wrote:I wasn't asking anyone to do it all for me at all, I was asking advice from fellow hunters to help me get on the right track. Thank you for the map, it helped me a lot.

That is asking for where to go, regardless of how you try and reword it. That map will give you an idea as to where to look.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 am

All of the lakes around DFW are gonna be a zoo that week... I would suggest trying to scout/hunt at least 2 hours from the city to minimize the amount of pressure the lake will have from all of the barneys.
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby kham53 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Thank you, I appreciate the advice! I leaning towards heading East at this point.
kham53
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:57 pm

I'll be hunting that spot...sky busting ducks before they get to the lake. They'll be a mile high by the time they reach you. Lol

Good luck!
hunter

Postby RShockley » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 pm

kham53 wrote:I want to know if I should look North, South, East, West of DFW... anything other than basically being told, don't bother.

Yes! That direction. :thumbsup:
RShockley
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting