Minnesota boy wants to hunt some TX pintails

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Minnesota boy wants to hunt some TX pintails

Postby pondhopper32 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Greetings from the frozen Tundra!

First a migration report for you: a front is coming through most of the Midwest this evening with lows in the single digits by Sunday. The few remaining Mallards and divers will likely be completely gone with almost all water totally iced up by Sunday so get ready!

So I sell products to grocery stores and just got assigned a new territory that includes all of Texas. I am excited to get to travel to some warm weather but a thousand times more excited at the opportunity to hunt a day or 2 in what I've always heard are some of the best waterfowl areas in the country!

I'm going to be in Houston on the 17th of December with a morning meeting and then nothing until I have to be in Tyler on the 19th for a morning meeting. Since I will have some time and a car I can go pretty much anywhere from the coast to near Tyler for a hunt on the 18th. Since we don't really see many pintail in MN I have only shot 1 hen pintail in almost 2 decades of hunting, never even seen a drake and my preference would be to go somewhere they are known to be in good numbers. I have been chasing divers for the past 3 weeks up here, something I love to do but I'm really looking for something different.

Since I have zero experience on hunting in TX I am planning on using a guide service. Up here everything is public hunting and guides or private land leases are very rare.

So any advice any of you could give on an area I should consider and a good guide would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
- Ross
pondhopper32
hunter

Re: Minnesota boy wants to hunt some TX pintails

Postby Barney#1 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:50 pm

Well your coming to a pretty good place to find a pintail. There are lots of guide services on the coast to chose from. I wish I could narrow it down for you but I have only been one time with a outfitter and it did not turn out to be the most glorious day in the field. To no fault of the guide though. Sometimes the birds just don't work for you.
Some one will chime in on some outfitters for ya. If you want the name of the one I went with I will pm you. It was kinda near where you will be.
Good luck on your sprig.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:54 pm

hunt the coast if you want the best odds to get a pintail
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby :-) » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 pm

If you don't mind driving 3.5 hours further south I'll take ya hunting.

I work with some guys from St. Paul, and also let some snowbirds from MN hunt rabbits & hogs on my ranch. I'm guessing one more Yankee in the mix won't hurt. Lol
:-)
hunter

Postby pondhopper32 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:18 am

:-) wrote:If you don't mind driving 3.5 hours further south I'll take ya hunting.

I work with some guys from St. Paul, and also let some snowbirds from MN hunt rabbits & hogs on my ranch. I'm guessing one more Yankee in the mix won't hurt. Lol

Thanks Man! I might just take you up on that offer. I will know my final schedule for the trip this week and if that works I will PM you and work out details.

Anyone else want to chime in with some suggestions as back ups I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
pondhopper32
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:42 am

Pond hop you have a PM
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting