How many decoys do I need?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

How many decoys do I need?

Postby TXHunter96 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 am

Hey guys, Ive got 5 days off for thanksgiving and will be going to my family's property to do some hunting. We have a pond that's about 2 acres and I wanted to duck hunt it. Ive been observing the ponds around my house and there are about 25-40 ducks on these ponds. Now my question is can I put out a dozen decoys and a mojo and be okay? That is all the decoys I have. Its supposed to be cold cloudy and possibly rainy. We have another pond that is much smaller but is too enclosed, in my opinion, for ducks to see while flying. Thanks for any help!!
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Re: How many decoys do I need?

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:16 am

A dozen should be fine man.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby rrkyle » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:08 pm

First off, in order to help. I'm going to need GPS coordinates for the previously mentioned ponds.

Second- Yeah a dozen is fine. Just watch the wind and set up so they can come across the water and land in front of you instead of coming from behind you.

Good luck!
rrkyle
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:47 pm

A couple decoys is all you need, and that's just to make you feel better about hunting. You could probably do away with the mojo also.

The ducks that are coming to your pond are already committed, and the more natural it looks the better. That's just my $.02.
:-)
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Skip on the mojo
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 am

Last season I hunted two afternoons in a row in a very similar situation. All I used was one mallard drake and two hens. Two paired up and one lone hen about 20 yrds away from the pair. I used this set up because this is what I saw every time I pulled into the property. Then a little while later the big flights would come in. It was the best 2 hunts of my duck hunting career with only 3 decoys. 1st day limit in 35 min second day a little over an hour. So yes 12 is enough or too many. Match what you see when you get there. If the mojo flares more than 2 flights I chunk that bad boy in the bushes.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:59 am

thanks guys! leaving this afternoon and will be hunting in the morning!
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Good luck :thumbsup:
Barney#1
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting