anyone put the protecive booties on their retriever's paws?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

anyone put the protecive booties on their retriever's paws?

Postby wheaton_iceman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Do they protect well? Not just against frostbite/ice but against cutting? I already owe my dog a neoprene vest for after cold fronts, but thinking about doing this well?

My sweet Lucy made a great retrieve on two teal almost two weeks ago. Coming back to the blind she cut off like 70% of her large hind paw pad on a fluke placed submerged sharp stump root I guess. This is the one paw pad that dogs have to have to walk or run. She is healing better now after $350 in vet bills (they can't do stitches) and wearing the thick bandages and cone of shame. She is out of commission till after the split I fear. I have had to just hunt some wader friendly shallow spots, and lost a couple of coasting cripples that sicken me that she could have got at 100 yards.
Attachments
2013-08-11 08.11.10.jpg
wheaton_iceman
hunter

Re: anyone put the protecive booties on their retriever's pa

Postby CCducker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:49 pm

I have always wrapped mines up with duct tape when I know we are hunting near submerged shell, works great. :thumbsup:
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby wheaton_iceman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:54 pm

thanks for the tip. She has gotten used to bandage change so maybe she won't mind just tape.
wheaton_iceman
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:05 pm

CCducker wrote:I have always wrapped mines up with duct tape when I know we are hunting near submerged shell, works great. :thumbsup:

x2... I put one wrap of stretch medical tape and then duck tape. I have seen dogs not even want to walk after being introduced to booties!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:33 pm

We finally got some $15 ones from petsmart because our backyard is mud from all the rain we've gotten the past 3 months and have tile inside the house. Both dogs absolutely hate them and hilarious to watch them try and walk in them. They've worn them for probably 3 weeks straight when they go outside and still not used to them. Maybe the ones that are meant for hunting are better quality but I have no idea how a dog could hunt with them on and not hate life.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby rrkyle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your pup. We missed almost an entire dove season last year because mine kept getting cuts.

I couldn't get her to keep the booties on and function. There's some stuff called pad heal? Or tough pads? Something like that you apply to the paws and toughen them up.

I have had several guys say to just put super glue on your pups paws to protect them. I never tried it. (Posted on dog forum to ask about it and got a crap storm.)
rrkyle
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:58 am

I've heard of super gluing your dogs pad back together after a deep cut, but I've never heard of pretreating your dogs pads with it...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:03 am

ask your question on the dog forum. there is alot of great dog advice on there. these ideas are good ones but im sure you will get alot different answers on there.
frydaddy
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting