Newbie Intro and Detailed Trip Report from 11/23/13 Hunt

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Postby waterfowler0013 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Hello y'all -

My name is Kyle. I live in Round Rock, just about to Georgetown north of Austin. This is my first year hunting, duck or any other kind as a matter of fact. I bought my first gun back in October, a Remington 870 Express Super Mag at the gun show for $300. I was drawn to Duck & water fowl hunting by several factors. It seems that there is a definite art to it. There are so many elements, and opportunity to learn, develop and evolve as a hunter year after year. It can be overwhelming just starting out, both financially and otherwise! However, the community of water fowlers in our great state are an amazing group of people! I truly appreciate everyone and their kindness.

So, I went on my first hunt technically on the 16th, with the Fellowship of Christian Sportsmen. We were on a boat and went out to Granger Lake. While none of us fired a shot, it was a good trip and educational for sure.

This past weekend, I went on a guided hunt just northeast of Waco. The drive Friday night was horrendous with the heavy rain. But my visit to Cabelas that night made it all better. Following a night in a seedy hotel, I was off at 4:00 AM headed to meet my guide. I figured for $50 and fully guided, I couldn't go wrong! It turned out to be only myself and the guide perfect learning opportunity!

I am glad that my gear setup worked out, and I was able to stay warm in the 35 degree rain & wind. Due to water levels, we set up in about knee deep water. I was able to assist in setting out decoys, etc (all my choice, as I am learning and this was a great opportunity). As we set up the last of the decoys, we had a couple large groups of mallards over us, well within range.

Once back to the blind and getting the little jon boat hidden, a woodie plopped right down into the dekes. Of course, the sound of me loading my gun erased that opportunity! A few minutes later, I spotted a single ringneck hen coming right for us, and took her down with my first shot! It was truly an unbelievable feeling, as I am so new to this - as well as completely new to shooting a gun. (I'd only been shooting for 5 weeks or so, about 300 rounds on skeet) Next we had a single duck plop down in the open water a couple hundred yard outside our decoys. It kept swimming our way though. A few minutes later, there was a large group of 12-16 mallards that worked the wind and decoyed perfectly. Before I knew it, there was a huge group of mallards in my face, wings cupped and feet out. It was unbelievable! I was in awe. I don't know if I even was able to pick one, but I got off 3 shots and took my first mallard drake. That sequence alone was priceless. Next up we had a spoon bill decoy perfectly straight in - and directly in front of me. I don't know how I missed 3 times, but hey - at least I was in the game! Again, it was a tad overwhelming being so up close! Ten minutes later, a single ringneck drake plopped right down in front of me, at the same time a group of wood ducks were working in from the left. I let the ringneck be, I had one already anyhow. The woodies didn't work in enough, so no shots fired. About this time, the rain really picked up, and was intermittent. When the rain lightened, more birds would get up and be in and around us. Next up we had another group of mallards that flared off. This was followed by a group of about a dozen pintails that dropped in out of nowhere, and I took my first pintail - a drake. This was followed by heavy rain again, which calmed a tad. All in all, we'd had a great day and decided to pack it in. As soon as my gun was unloaded, a single spoonbill came into the decoys right at us. I was able to get two shells loaded, but by the time I got the safety off, that ship had sailed. On the walk out, we saw a beautiful drake woodie in the creek, but he was gone before I could reach my gun.

All in all, it was an unbelievable hunt. I am in awe of the experience, and am hooked! I really appreciate all of the great people and the information each of you shares here! Thanks for all of your time, assistance and consideration.

Happy Hunting,

Kyle
waterfowler0013
hunter

Re: Newbie Intro and Detailed Trip Report from 11/23/13 Hunt

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Welcome to the sport... Being an avid duck hunter is really more of a sickness then anything else!!

The things we do to chase ducks is unlike any other type of hunting!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Just curious but was your guided hunt on a public lake or did he take you on private land?
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby rrkyle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:45 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Just curious but was your guided hunt on a public lake or did he take you on private land?

^^ What he said. And who was the guide?
rrkyle
hunter

Postby waterfowler0013 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:51 am

He has private land, and also hunts some public stuff as well.
waterfowler0013
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:26 am

PM me his name if you don't mind because I am curious too...
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:48 am

good stuff man :grooving:

Lay down the ground work for hunting if you have a women in your life, because duck hunting takes a lot of time. :thumbsup:
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Cans: 2
Bufflehead: 1
Redhead: 2
Mallard: 1
Gadwall: 13
Green Wing: 2
Spoony: 6
Pintail: 3
Ringneck: 5
mottled: 2
lesser scaup: 1
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby DuckMendenhall » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:05 am

Good stuff Kyle.

Welcome. From the sounds of it, you took some nice birds on your 2nd hunt. The sport is like anything else, there is give and take. Some of us on here are born and bred waterfowleres, and others have learned the sport on their own. Kuddos.

I am glad to hear that the sport did not let you down...you will notice more times than not when you are picking up dekes, birds will land on top of you.
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:52 am

So im reading through this wondering who guides for $50 and how you as a "newbie" are able to identify species before you shoot them. Calling out a ring neck. Then passing on birds because you already have one? Doesnt seem like a " newbie" to me. Most will shoot anything and i mean anything.
Just makes me wonder a bit...
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:36 pm

SATX duckman wrote:So im reading through this wondering who guides for $50 and how you as a "newbie" are able to identify species before you shoot them. Calling out a ring neck. Then passing on birds because you already have one? Doesnt seem like a " newbie" to me. Most will shoot anything and i mean anything.

This is my first actual duck season, last year I hunted in Alaska less then 6 times.
However, I will put any amount of money you would prefer that I can identify a duck flying, sitting, or doing a two step just as well as you. Since I am a newbie I probably shouldn't be able to decoy ducks or know how to use a duck call properly either. We'll again I willing to bet I can do those as well as you too my friend. Not all new guys are kazoo blowing, sky busting, showing up 2 minutes before shooting light A holes. Some of us, and I know that they are far and few between, but some of us love the sport, tradition and way of life that water fowling really is.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby MarkM » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:04 pm

SATX duckman wrote:So im reading through this wondering who guides for $50 and how you as a "newbie" are able to identify species before you shoot them. Calling out a ring neck. Then passing on birds because you already have one? Doesnt seem like a " newbie" to me. Most will shoot anything and i mean anything.

The person who was guiding him might've identified the birds for him in flight.

Just my thought on it
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:48 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote:

This is my first actual duck season, last year I hunted in Alaska less then 6 times.
However, I will put any amount of money you would prefer that I can identify a duck flying, sitting, or doing a two step just as well as you. Since I am a newbie I probably shouldn't be able to decoy ducks or know how to use a duck call properly either. We'll again I willing to bet I can do those as well as you too my friend. Not all new guys are kazoo blowing, sky busting, showing up 2 minutes before shooting light A holes. Some of us, and I know that they are far and few between, but some of us love the sport, tradition and way of life that water fowling really is.

Tell you what...
You pay for my gas to get to corpus load me on your boat( if not ill bring mine) take me out and call in birds. Then you tell me what they are before i shoot them. After I get my limit and you have identified them all correctly i will shake your hand thank you and admit you are awsome at identifying and calling birds. Then you can get your limit and we will head to the coot shoot for some beers.

Deal???

Anyone else want to join us???
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:23 pm

SATX duckman wrote:
stumpjumper1590 wrote:

Tell you what...
You pay for my gas to get to corpus load me on your boat( if not ill bring mine) take me out and call in birds. Then you tell me what they are before i shoot them. After I get my limit and you have identified them all correctly i will shake your hand thank you and admit you are awsome at identifying and calling birds. Then you can get your limit and we will head to the coot shoot for some beers.

Deal???

I would be glad to take you on a hunt. I was just trying to stand up for the guy. You were kinda rude.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Potlick!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:04 pm

stumpjumper1590 wrote:
SATX duckman wrote:
stumpjumper1590 wrote:

Tell you what...

Deal???

I would be glad to take you on a hunt. I was just trying to stand up for the guy. You were kinda rude.

Well if i came across as rude it wasnt my intentions.
As far as hunting together it would be great. We will be making some trips down during the second half to your area and doing a little hunting.
SATX duckman
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting