Open water lake hunting

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Open water lake hunting

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:22 pm

So i have hunted bay systems and salt marshes all my life and everything i have learned from hunting that stuff is big water=big decoy spread. I have never lake hunted so im giving it a shot this weekend, i would think the same rule would apply? Big water=big spread? Im thinking 4-5 dozen.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Re: Open water lake hunting

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:35 pm

I agree with that theory.... Others may not but IMO 4-5 dozen shouldn't be overkill. Opening day we hunted a shallow flat on an open lake and we run 7 dozen decoys with 2 jerk cords. Then again we were seeing near 1000 or more birds feeding in this area so I felt a big spread was the right move. If I'm seeing smaller numbers of birds I will downsize the spread... Just my thoughts, I'm sure others will agree and more will disagree lol
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Re: Open water lake hunting

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:14 pm

I think that general rule works for most setups... Though I have had days when the birds wouldn't commit to a big spread, at which I'll downsize to 12-20 decoys and 3 of them on a jerk cord.
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting