Black Decoys

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Black Decoys

Postby Duck_Happy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Already read some post on the forum but do any of yal hunt with spray painted black decoys?
Just curious on what I can do during the split to increase motion and increase viability in my spread
Duck_Happy
hunter

Re: Black Decoys

Postby TexasHunter96 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 pm

I wouldn't do solid black dekes, but divers such as ringers and bluebills can provide better visibility, along with black duck decoys
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:10 pm

From my understanding, ducks see contrast from dark to light best from a ways off... If you painted all of your decoys black, ducks may see them better from a distance but they might not like em much once they get closer unless you have alot of coots in the area.

Spend your time on getting motion in your spread by making a couple jerk strings. Motion on the water far outweighs what color your spread is!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby CCducker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 am

I hunt a large amount of Coots in certain areas and they can be incredibly effective. I have watched ducks time after time pour into a spread consisting of 90% Coots while avoiding multiple spreads in an area consisting of all duck decoys.....

BUT like mojo said unless Coots are a staple in your area it is just as likely to be a negative as it is a positive.

Motion and realism are keys, go watch the birds in your area and try to mimic how they sit in large groups meaning species variation, the shape that they tend to sit in, and the movement of feeding ducks. Spread size isnt always the key a smaller spread with good movement/realism is usually much more effective than a large spread with no movement, and no variation.

Spend your time on getting motion in your spread by making a couple jerk strings.
Cheap-effective-time tested :thumbsup:

Heres a link http://www.bluemoon-outfitters.com/jerksting.html

20 Coots to every 2 ducks has seemed effective had group after group of Pintail try to land on those two drakes on the outside all morning.
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:56 am

CCducker wrote:I hunt a large amount of Coots in certain areas and they can be incredibly effective. I have watched ducks time after time pour into a spread consisting of 90% Coots while avoiding multiple spreads in an area consisting of all duck decoys.....

BUT like mojo said unless Coots are a staple in your area it is just as likely to be a negative as it is a positive.

Motion and realism are keys, go watch the birds in your area and try to mimic how they sit in large groups meaning species variation, the shape that they tend to sit in, and the movement of feeding ducks. Spread size isnt always the key a smaller spread with good movement/realism is usually much more effective than a large spread with no movement, and no variation.

Spend your time on getting motion in your spread by making a couple jerk strings.
Cheap-effective-time tested :thumbsup:

Heres a link http://www.bluemoon-outfitters.com/jerksting.html

20 Coots to every 2 ducks has seemed effective had group after group of Pintail try to land on those two drakes on the outside all morning.

Nice Job CCducker :thumbsup: It doesnt hurt that the decoy spread is about 20 times cheaper. I've never thought about doing a spread full of coot.
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Cans: 2
Bufflehead: 1
Redhead: 2
Mallard: 1
Gadwall: 13
Green Wing: 2
Spoony: 6
Pintail: 3
Ringneck: 5
mottled: 2
lesser scaup: 1
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 am

Coots are such majestic creatures!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2O2VTH2Go

And you never know when a neck banded one might swim into your spread of coot decoys...

Coot 2.jpg
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:06 pm

I can't remember which hunting forum I saw this one but somebody did a little test to see which is more visible at a distance, white or black on the water. From his pictures (I believe he was on a levy at varying distances and angles with the sun) it was by far the black decoys that can be seen. The point was that we thing our water is dark or brown, but in the air with the reflection black shows up much better. In fact, look at CC's pic and tell me which is easier to spot, the black coots or the lighter colored pintail?

I just thought that was interesting when he posted it and it always seems the consensus from duck hunters is use white to make your spread more visible.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:01 pm

I have jerk rigs, old motion decoys just wondering what i should do with some of my old decoys. Will probably turn them into ringers
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:04 am

There was just a write up in a DU article and they guy was saying not to be afraid to use and all coot spread. Its been proven to me that birds will pass a good variety and go land with the coots. Other thing i read was guys will use old half gallon milk jugs and paint them black with a white tip to look like a coot. They apparently give lots of motion with very little wind and current as they are so light. Anyone ever try or see that??? Much easier to paint at the end of the season. How many of you are going to pass by a bar on your way to the cooter hole???
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:38 am

SATX duckman wrote:There was just a write up in a DU article and they guy was saying not to be afraid to use and all coot spread. Its been proven to me that birds will pass a good variety and go land with the coots. Other thing i read was guys will use old half gallon milk jugs and paint them black with a white tip to look like a coot. They apparently give lots of motion with very little wind and current as they are so light. Anyone ever try or see that??? Much easier to paint at the end of the season. How many of you are going to pass by a bar on your way to the cooter hole???

Indaswamp talked about using either milk jugs or 2 liter soda bottles painted up. Can't remember which one.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 pm

SATX duckman wrote:There was just a write up in a DU article and they guy was saying not to be afraid to use and all coot spread. Its been proven to me that birds will pass a good variety and go land with the coots. Other thing i read was guys will use old half gallon milk jugs and paint them black with a white tip to look like a coot. They apparently give lots of motion with very little wind and current as they are so light. Anyone ever try or see that??? Much easier to paint at the end of the season. How many of you are going to pass by a bar on your way to the cooter hole???

And they are probably using them in North Dakota shooting mallards with egg shell still on their heads... Just like the Texas rag spread used to work for snow geese down here until the darn Canadians and Yankees started using them up north, now you gotta use fullbodies most days to be successful on geese in Texas.
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Everything changes though, my dad used to talk about him and my grandfather setting out paper towels in a field to attract snows.
Duck_Happy
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting