Duck Gumbo Recipe

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Duck Gumbo Recipe

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:13 pm

I was looking at the recipe forum and stumbled upon this recipe. Have y'all ever tried a duck gumbo and how did y'all like it?

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=102000&p=1308729

A Louisiana staple at the camp during hunting season...

3-4 med-large ducks, whole, plucked and dressed with 1 med. goose (speck or Canada) Whole, plucked and dressed

or legs and thighs from 16-20 geese...
1-1 1/2 lbs. smoked aundouillie sausage sliced
4 large white onions (1-1 1/4 lbs. each)
1 bunch celery tops cut off, chopped
1/2 cup chopped garlic (fresh is better)
Salt,
Cracked black pepper
Cayenne pepper
hot sauce to taste
2 bay leaves
thyme
Gumbo File' (ground sassafras leaves)
2-3 cups DARK brown roux
1 jar "cajun injector" roasted garlic & herb marinate
poultry seasoning
cajun seasoning mix-tony's, Dis-n-dat, etc...
Pecan chips or shelled pecan hulls

to smoke:
inject whole ducks and small goose with injectable marinate, season well inside and out with cajun seasoning and poultry seasoning..
prepare smoker to 225-245 degrees, heavy smoke birds with pecan for 1.5 hrs.
If you are using legs and thighs from geese, just fry after andouillie...

To cook:
While birds are smoking, make a roux...Should take about 40-45 minutes...
4 cups flour and 3.5 cups peanut oil...plenty of places on the web to learn how to do this..
only tip I'll share is to use a tarnished penny on the counter next to the pot..when the flour has darkened to almost the color of the penny, take off fire and continue to stir until roux cools enough to stop cooking...otherwise the roux will burn on bottom.

next, in a skillet, fry andouille. once slightly browned, remove from skillet-retain rendered fat. place andouillie in a 4 gallon pot with about 2 gallons of water, 2 bay leaves, and 1/2 tsp. thyme, start warming water to a boil.

in same skillet, saute' onions, celery, and garlic until almost caramelized. remove from skillet into pot with aundouillie.
when birds are done, remove from smoker and place in pot whole...

bring pot to a boil for 30 min. then reduce heat to a simmer for about 4 hours. Add 2-3 cups of roux, cook for 30-40 minutes.
when birds are falling off the bone, remove to a large stainless steel bowl to cool. once cooled, pull meat off the bone and coarse chop, remove any pellets found. return meat to pot. simmer 20 minutes then check seasoning...season to taste with salt, peppers and hot sauce. remove bay leaves, add file' to taste, start with 1 tsp. sprinkle from there...
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Re: Duck Gumbo Recipe

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Yep it's great.

If you wanna go the easy route buy the zatarans gumbo mix.
1 onnion
2 or three green bell peppers cut up/ deseeded
3 or four chopped jalapenos
Half a bag of frozen okra
4 or 5 cut up celery sticks
Pack of smoked saussage cut up
3 or 4 duck breast cut in cubes
Brown all you meat and vegetables then add to the gumbo/ rice mix and simmer for 30 min.

The one you put up looks better. This one is for those of us less skiiled in the kitchen.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks Barney, yea that first recipe is a little intimidating. Your's sounds like just the right amount of work :thumbsup:
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:23 pm

As this forum's resident Coonass I'd like to offer the following advice:

1. "Looks intimidating" and "actually intimidating" are two different things.

2. Gumbo is really, really easy to make ... therefore, there's no such thing as an "easy option". Anything SHORT of the original post is just potlicker-soup, period, end of story.

3. Adding some wild duck to the mix is nice but you need the fat content from farm birds to really give the gumbo the richness that makes it comfort food. I recommend using a whole young chicken hen, and a farm raised duck which you can get in almost any grocery. Typically they're frozen and in the frozen meat lockers. If you can't find a farm raised duck at the grocery, use turkey thighs for fat content.

4. Quarter and sear your birds in the rendered sausage fat ... it gives the meat a nice color, and then simmer them separately; strain the liquid into and save it; and pick all the meat off the bones and set it aside (it's much more pleasant to eat this way). Add the meat and the okra if you use okra last so that it just heats through - otherwise it will be mushy. The sausage should simmer with the veggies the entire time.

5. Use half water and half chicken stock (NOT BROTH), you can always add more water if you need too but the stock will give you a nice rich flavor.

6. 99% of roux’s in boxes, jars and cans are CRAP, and a very simple easy roux can be made dry in the microwave. 9 times out of 10, if your roux comes in a box, a jar, or a can ... you should be shot in the face.

7. File is NOT THE KEY ingredient, THYME IS ... !

Good luck! Enjoy. It'd definitely gumbo weather this weekend ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Pouledeau wrote:As this forum's resident Coonass I'd like to offer the following advice:

1. "Looks intimidating" and "actually intimidating" are two different things.

2. Gumbo is really, really easy to make ... therefore, there's no such thing as an "easy option". Anything SHORT of the original post is just potlicker-soup, period, end of story.

3. Adding some wild duck to the mix is nice but you need the fat content from farm birds to really give the gumbo the richness that makes it comfort food. I recommend using a whole young chicken hen, and a farm raised duck which you can get in almost any grocery. Typically they're frozen and in the frozen meat lockers. If you can't find a farm raised duck at the grocery, use turkey thighs for fat content.

4. Quarter and sear your birds in the rendered sausage fat ... it gives the meat a nice color, and then simmer them separately; strain the liquid into and save it; and pick all the meat off the bones and set it aside (it's much more pleasant to eat this way). Add the meat and the okra if you use okra last so that it just heats through - otherwise it will be mushy. The sausage should simmer with the veggies the entire time.

5. Use half water and half chicken stock (NOT BROTH), you can always add more water if you need too but the stock will give you a nice rich flavor.

6. 99% of roux’s in boxes, jars and cans are CRAP, and a very simple easy roux can be made dry in the microwave. 9 times out of 10, if your roux comes in a box, a jar, or a can ... you should be shot in the face.

7. File is NOT THE KEY ingredient, THYME IS ... !

Good luck! Enjoy. It'd definitely gumbo weather this weekend ...

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the sole purpose of file is to give it thickness?
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:35 pm

The file does have thickening properties, but only on a microscopic level compared to that of the roux, when you add the roux to the veggies you'll see what I mean. How can even 4 tablespoons of power compare to 4 cups of flour?

The file is a traditional ingredient and gives gumbo it's slippery texture. Pretty good reason to have TP in your blind bag.

Thyme is KEY. If you leave out the file, you'll never know the difference unless you're using too much to begin with.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Pouledeau wrote:The file does have thickening properties, but only on a microscopic level compared to that of the roux, when you add the roux to the veggies you'll see what I mean. How can even 4 tablespoons of power compare to 4 cups of flour?

The file is a traditional ingredient and gives gumbo it's slippery texture. Pretty good reason to have TP in your blind bag.

Thyme is KEY. If you leave out the file, you'll never know the difference unless you're using too much to begin with.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Most difficult part of gumbo is not ruining the roux. I don't make a stock with whole ducks just make the gumbo and cut up the duck breasts and put it in the pot with sausage. Easy to make just time consuming.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:57 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Most difficult part of gumbo is not ruining the roux.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Pouledeau wrote: 99% of roux’s in boxes, jars and cans are CRAP, and a very simple easy roux can be made dry in the microwave. 9 times out of 10, if your roux comes in a box, a jar, or a can ... you should be shot in the face.

Well s*** :lol3:
Blast away Martha Stewart.
I'll try your way this weekend. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Barney#1 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:23 pm

If you really want to know how to make gumbo or anything for that matter PM tako on here. My wife still talks about his shrimp and grits and boudain balls from 2 years ago.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:27 pm

I had some tacos he made a few weeks ago in the blind. They were great so I can only imagine his gumbo.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:15 pm

I've had Pouledeau's gumbo 10 times over the last few years... By far the best gumbo I've ever had!! And he has been feeding 8-10 people each time, all extremely satisfied with the meal.

He might be full of $hit 99% of the time, but he knows what he is talking about when it comes to gumbo...

In my opinion...
Rule #1 - The more meat, the better!!
Rule #2 - Never run out of rice.
Also, try it on top of mustard potato salad!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Mojo281 wrote:I've had Pouledeau's gumbo 10 times over the last few years... By far the best gumbo I've ever had!! And he has been feeding 8-10 people each time, all extremely satisfied with the meal.

He might be full of $hit 99% of the time, but he knows what he is talking about when it comes to gumbo...

In my opinion...
Rule #1 - The more meat, the better!!
Rule #2 - Never run out of rice.
Also, try it on top of mustard potato salad!!

His coot gumbo was good? I'm willing to bet that's what it was in there :wink:

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I love Poule d' eau gumbo, but my favorite is woodduck or teal gumbo. Since I got a new smoker. Im going to make a smoked duck gumbo pretty soon. Looking at that recipe, it is a huge gumbo! If its just a couple people, I make my roux with 1cup flour, 3/4 cup of oil. 3 wood ducks, 1 pound of smoked sausage, 1 pound of Andouille (I like a lot in my gumbo).

GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Pouledeau it sounds like you have this figured out...I say we have a DHC fishing tournament/get together, and you cook us a big pot of Gumbo.

I'll by all the supply's, and cover your expenses. It's been several years since I had a good Gumbo...it would be money well spent!
:-)
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 pm

:-) wrote:Pouledeau it sounds like you have this figured out...I say we have a DHC fishing tournament/get together, and you cook us a big pot of Gumbo.

I'll by all the supply's, and cover your expenses. It's been several years since I had a good Gumbo...it would be money well spent!

I LIKE this idea!

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm going to add my two cents because I'm a cook and thats what we do and my name was mentioned so bear with me.

1. The diced vegetables used in the base are called a trinity and form the base of tons of dishes in S. Louisiana. They are called the trinity because there are three( lol). Most of y'all are missing the green peppers.
2. I think you would be best served to learn how to make a dark roux for game gumbos.
3. Making the roux and then waiting for it to cool is problematic on multiple levels. If you aren't good at making a roux it will prob carry over( burn) . Adding the vegetables to the roux at the right time cools it enough to slow the browning and cooks the veg at the same time. That being said a lot of aroma is retained in the base. You are making a one pot dish its silly to saute three different things and then try and peice them together
4. I agree with using the fat to make the broth richer.
5. Pass file seperately at the table, its true that they both thicken but as flour browns it loses its ability to thicken liquid. Never use file with a gumbo that has okra in it
6. Skim, skim, skim
7. The seasonings are predominantly black pepper, salt , paprika and cayenne.
8. Andouille that you buy in a Texas supermarket is crap and not even close to what Andouille really is. Good smoked sausage would do you better
9.I make gumbo closer to what you would find west of Lafayette, where real gumbo is made, ha! :)
10. Serve the gumbo with a side of potato salad. Trust me.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:21 am

Sounds like we need a Tx DHC gumbo cook off / fishing tournament!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:31 am

Mojo281 wrote:Sounds like we need a Tx DHC gumbo cook off / fishing tournament!!

I second this.

These are some good looking recipe's, I'm going to have to try them soon.
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:32 am

Pintail-Peeler wrote:
Mojo281 wrote:Sounds like we need a Tx DHC gumbo cook off / fishing tournament!!

I second this.

These are some good looking recipe's, I'm going to have to try them soon.

Gumbo cookoff between all of you. I will taste test after the fishing tournament.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:37 am

Im in for the fishin and eating part. I'll just leave the zatarans at home.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:26 am

I'm down to cook/fish/get together ... let's do this (after the season) ... my notes/comments are added below.

tako1972 wrote:I'm going to add my two cents because I'm a cook and thats what we do and my name was mentioned so bear with me.

1. The diced vegetables used in the base are called a trinity and form the base of tons of dishes in S. Louisiana. They are called the trinity because there are three( lol). Most of y'all are missing the green peppers.

Yup! Although I never could figure out why we call it the trinity when there's four vegetables. Also, sometimes when I want to add a little natural heat - I add jalapeno, but I fillet out the viens and seeds, and wash 4 times before I pee.

2. I think you would be best served to learn how to make a dark roux for game gumbos.

My ole lady won't even eat it unless it looks like milk chocolate.

3. Making the roux and then waiting for it to cool is problematic on multiple levels. If you aren't good at making a roux it will prob carry over( burn) . Adding the vegetables to the roux at the right time cools it enough to slow the browning and cooks the veg at the same time. That being said a lot of aroma is retained in the base. You are making a one pot dish its silly to saute three different things and then try and peice them together.

Agreed.

4. I agree with using the fat to make the broth richer.
5. Pass file seperately at the table, its true that they both thicken but as flour browns it loses its ability to thicken liquid. Never use file with a gumbo that has okra in it.

Slime + slime = "slippery mornings" :yes: never thought of that before but I could see where that'd be an issue.

6. Skim, skim, skim.

For those inexperienced ... skimming is easiest once the liquid has cooled some. The fat will rise to the top and you can scoop it out. This is CRITICAL.

7. The seasonings are predominantly black pepper, salt , paprika and cayenne.

See notes below under topic 9.

8. Andouille that you buy in a Texas supermarket is crap and not even close to what Andouille really is. Good smoked sausage would do you better.

x 10. I commonly use venison sausage from Praseks ... it's damn good.

9.I make gumbo closer to what you would find west of Lafayette, where real gumbo is made, ha! :)

Lafayette makes great poboys ... leave the gumbo to the Houma boys ... !!!!

10. Serve the gumbo with a side of potato salad. Trust me.

x 10. Skip the rice sometimes and use potato salad. Like you and Mojo both say - it's unreal!
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 am

If we do this, it's gotta be one equal ground!! Seems like we need to meet in the middle between Corpus and Houston...

Port O'Connor??
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:59 am

Mojo281 wrote:If we do this, it's gotta be one equal ground!! Seems like we need to meet in the middle between Corpus and Houston...

Port O'Connor??

Equal ground?!?!?! I live a few hours north of you fellas.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting