Public Hunting Permit Cost

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Public Hunting Permit Cost

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Hey everyone I went to TPWD to try and find out how much it cost to buy a public hunt permit, but it takes me to a dead end no matter what I use (work comp, kindle, cell phone, home comp) is it cause its a break during the season or if I go to Academy and get the duck hunting book would it tell me?

Thanks for the help guys!
4 most American things to do, hunt/fish/work on vehicles/drink not in any specific order.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Re: Public Hunting Permit Cost

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:12 pm

$48 Annual public hunting permit.
Any place they sell hunting licenses.
They will mail you the book in a few weeks after you purchase it or you can look at the website for places to go.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hu ... c_hunting/
Where you hunt on those places is up to you.
Good luck :thumbsup:
Barney#1
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks Barney#1 I appreciate it! I just want to try and get 1 hunt in before the season ends.

So once I get my permit i'll get my book correct?
4 most American things to do, hunt/fish/work on vehicles/drink not in any specific order.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Yes in about two weeks or so.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Cool thanks so much man!!
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:01 pm

:thumbsup:
Barney#1
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:25 pm

I have one last question that I meant to ask that permit does or doesn't it cover me if I was to go hunting and kill ducks or do I need a separate license for that?
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby daddyhuck » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:39 am

You will need a federal duck stamp. $7 if I'm not mistaken.
daddyhuck
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:08 am

Res hunting license, state migratory stamp, fed stamp, and ur public hunt permit... All necessary.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:11 am

Cool thank you guys so much for all the help I greatly appreciate it!!
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:14 am

Ummm......no!
You will need a Texas hunting license with the migratory game bird endorsement, it will need to have the hip certification, and the federal duck stamp. If you were born after a certain date (?) you will need to have hunters education as well. If you are younger than me (32) you need the hunters education or have to hunt with someone else that has passed it or is exempt and that is only an option for 1 year.
Not trying to be rude but it sounds like hiring a guide would be a good idea or possibly finding someone in your area to tag along with. Duck hunting can be complicating until you know the rules and regs. Then throwing public land ruels and regs on top of that.
I basicly taught myself but I studied the waterfowl handbook, hunters digest, and every thing else I could get my hands on about duck hunting. So it can be done.
Good luck.
Last edited by Barney#1 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 am

Oops. Indian got it. Took too long to punch out on my phone.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:41 am

Its okay no problem thanks for all the helpful information, going to go search for some books and do some research.

Thank you everyone with all the responses! :thumbsup:
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:26 am

I saw your other post, how long has it been since you've been duck hunting?
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:29 am

It was roughly 13yrs ago.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 am

Gotcha. If you buy your permit you can also look online to get an idea of public hunting areas nearby. It is always available and you can study it before you get the book in.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 am

Yeah I haven't bought my permit just yet, but when I looked on TPWD yesterday there were a couple places that I'm thinking of trying out if I can get a couple friends together and go hunt.

I know the knowledge is out there I'm mainly just trying to get help on the basics first and I'll do my research and handle the rest. Now something I've noticed I know there's are tons and tons of duck calls out there, now with me just starting out would I be okay going after the $20-$30 calls rather than the $50+? I mean if I see I get addicted and faithful to hunting every year I wouldn't mind spending the cash but since it's my first season in 13 years want to find out if I do a cheap call if it'll help get me buy for at least this first season.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:20 am

Buy you a cheap call with a dvd or cd to listen to and try to replicate the sounds you hear. Play it, listen, record what you sound like on your phone and play it back. See if it matches. If you haven't called before, LEAVE IT IN THE TRUCK, until you are comfortable with your calling. Sit near park ducks during the offseason and just call, try to get them to come close to you.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:25 am

Awesome that's some great info!!! Thank you so much man I really really appreciate! :thumbsup:
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 am

No problem and good luck man.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Indiancreekducks87 wrote:Res hunting license, state migratory stamp, fed stamp, and ur public hunt permit... All necessary.

All this^
Plus hunter ed. You can take the class, or get a deferral. It takes a bit of time, but the class is worth it
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:48 pm

TexasHunter96 wrote:
Indiancreekducks87 wrote:Res hunting license, state migratory stamp, fed stamp, and ur public hunt permit... All necessary.

All this^
Plus hunter ed. You can take the class, or get a deferral. It takes a bit of time, but the class is worth it

You can get hunter safety certification online now if you are over 18 and live within the state of Texas.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Cool thanks guys!!

I have a question, when I went to the TPWD website and went to get an estimate in price to make me legal for duck hunting when I do the migratory game bird stamp assuming that's the same as the state migratory stamp y'all were saying? It takes me to a screen about the HIP certification and well since I haven't hunted in 13yrs roughly, it tells me to remove them. So do I remove them or keep them on there?

Trust me I'm going to do the safety course I believe everyone needs to know gun safety and hunting safety so I will be doing the safety course especially since it's been a good while.

That's great news!!
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 pm

TXDuckHuntin wrote:I have a question, when I went to the TPWD website and went to get an estimate in price to make me legal for duck hunting when I do the migratory game bird stamp assuming that's the same as the state migratory stamp y'all were saying?

Resident Hunting

Type 101:
$25

Valid to hunt any legal bird or animal (terrestrial vertebrates). Stamp endorsement requirements apply. Required of any resident (see RESIDENT defined) unless the resident possesses a valid:

Texas Migratory Game Bird Stamp Endorsement

Type 168:
$7

Required to hunt any migratory game bird (waterfowl, coot, rail, gallinule, snipe, dove, sandhill crane and woodcock). A valid Federal Duck Stamp and HIP Certification are also required of waterfowl hunters 16 years of age or older. A free Federal Sandhill Crane Hunting Permit is required to hunt sandhill cranes. The permit is available:

in person only at TPWD Law Enforcement offices,
online,
or by phone: (800) 792-1112.

Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp

"Duck Stamp":
$17

Required for all waterfowl hunters 16 years of age or older; available at most U.S. Post Offices, TPWD Law Enforcement offices, Austin headquarters and all license retail sales locations. The stamp must be signed on its face by the person using it. A valid hunting license, HIP Certification and a valid Texas Migratory Game Bird Stamp endorsement are also required.

Those are the 3 you will need to hunt waterfowl in general, Public Hunt Permit is extra.

Source: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations ... nd-permits

TXDuckHuntin wrote: It takes me to a screen about the HIP certification and well since I haven't hunted in 13yrs roughly, it tells me to remove them. So do I remove them or keep them on there?

TPWD wrote:What is HIP Certification and how do I obtain the free certification?
HIP Certification, stands for Harvest Information Program Certification. The data collected from the survey questions is provided to the US Fish and Wildlife Service which provides valuable information for the management of migratory game birds on a continental basis. This certification can be obtained from any license sales agent located throughout the state.

Simply tell them 0, you didn't harvest anything last year.

Source: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/business/license/

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:27 pm

[quote="MarkM][/quote]Simply tell them 0, you didn't harvest anything last year.

Source: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/business/license/[/quote]

Okay great thanks Mark, well probably this check or next going to try and purchase some needed items for a duck hunt and like I said in the beginning try to catch at least 1 round of duck hunting this year.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting