headed to Matagorda Tx!

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

headed to Matagorda Tx!

Postby addicted2hunting » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Hello all,

I'm new here, but not to duck hunting. I've always wanted to do a redhead/pintail saltwater trip, and finally, I have the opportunity to do it. In January, I will begin the nearly 1,000 mile trip (one-way) from central Georgia.

I'm bringing down my boat and all my gear for a bay/marsh hunt. I have about 12 dozen decoys (with long lines) ranging from mallards, coots, gadwall, cans, bluebills, ringnecks, goldeneyes, etc... What should I bring!?!?
Also, anybody want to try to meet up/talk over PM? I'm going in mostly blind and being 1,000 miles from home, I don't want to screw this up.

Also, I really don't want to do guided. Half the fun for me is beating the odds and learning by the sweat of my brow.
If anyone wants to take a seasoned duck hunter but a tx newbie under their wing, I'd be honored.

Again, I know the ropes, just know nothing about tx. Please don't view this as cyber scouting or a chance to flare up. :fingerpt:
addicted2hunting
Newb

Re: headed to Matagorda Tx!

Postby :-) » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 am

We always hear about you fellas from the SE being the best cyber scouts in the business...now ya go & prove em right. Lol

Seriously, you'll have fun. Redheads can be shot from the boat while fishing, and no skill is needed. You can leave the mallard decoys at home, and replace them with a couple dozen Pintail decoys. You can also leave your mallard calls at home...not sure what kinda boat you have, but it may also prove itself worthless.

In January/February we get some very low tides with strong North winds...if ya don't have an airboat plan on walking a lot, or hunting next to several other folks in the blinds with easy access.

It may not be something you want to hear, but doing the guided trips will be much more cost effective. Most of them aren't your normal guides...they drop you off at a blind, or in the bushes and come pick you up at 10ish. They don't hold your hand. Basically they provide you with transportation, decoys, and a pat on the back after the GW grills you at the ramp.

Hope you have a fun trip!
:-)
hunter

Postby addicted2hunting » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:28 am

True that. The cyberscouters from Ga are some of the best in the business! All that for a wood duck!

But in all seriousness, I appreciate the help. What I know about ga is from hard work and time on the water. Hard to do that 13 hours away!

I have a 1648 with a 40 merc tiller. Would it be worth the time to bring it for a back up plan, if nothing else?
addicted2hunting
Newb

Postby :-) » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:32 am

It will work fine getting you across the ICW, and there are some cuts you can run just like anywhere else. It just won't get you out past the general population of hunters...unless you're willing to do a lot of walking.

When are you planning on coming down, and how long are you going to stay?
:-)
hunter

Postby addicted2hunting » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am

Appreciate it. Planning on coming down approx jan 12th and staying through the 20th. Those dates aren't set in stone, however.
addicted2hunting
Newb

Postby SAHunter1983 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:58 am

Bring a half dozen pins a dozen and a half redheads and a spattering of greater and lesser for inshore set your pins in a small group off to side and the redheads and scaup in a u 10 yds out. Also bring 2 dozen bufflehead in case you see them in open water. Decoy light right now, they piled in on this setup with surrounding groups not getting a single bird using tons of redheads and pin dekes.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
SAHunter1983
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting