Duck Calls

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Duck Calls

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Hey everyone just need some help, I'm looking for some duck calls now I have no experience in using ducks calls so what are some good beginner calls that might also come with an instructional video or tips on learning it properly?

Thanks for the help guys! :thumbsup:
4 most American things to do, hunt/fish/work on vehicles/drink not in any specific order.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Re: Duck Calls

Postby Duck_Happy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:44 pm

http://www.kazoos.com/ they offer a great selection. But on a serious note go with a 5 in 1 whistle seem to work
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby daddyhuck » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:51 pm

X2 on the whistle. Buck Gardner call with the CD is a good one for learning. Practice in your truck all this season and all off season.
daddyhuck
hunter

Postby rrkyle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:06 pm

Check out Faulks calls. Cheap, easy to blow, and sound awesome. And once you get better you will start dropping the $$
rrkyle
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the great advise! :thumbsup: you guys rock!
4 most American things to do, hunt/fish/work on vehicles/drink not in any specific order.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:53 pm

RNT
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Crazy Matt wrote:RNT

What she said.......
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm

So I saw rnt has a combo for $53 its the duck call and a instructional video is it worth the money to buy one?
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:24 pm

TXDuckHuntin wrote:So I saw rnt has a combo for $53 its the duck call and a instructional video is it worth the money to buy one?

IMO yes it is... My bro in law bought one and it sounds good, as for the video I have no clue. I have never watched it.
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Okay thanks I figured it would be just wanted to double check!
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby TexasHunter96 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Haydel dr-85 and a buck Gardner whistle
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby Txseaaggie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:46 am

Try a buck garder big nasty 2. They come with a few practice aids if you buy as a package. A cd, DVD, and keychain sound maker thing. Less than $20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Txseaaggie
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks for all the great tips! Looking forward to starting an addiction I mean collection of Duck Calls, Decoys, Camo, and well all you know what follows with it all.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby EvanJ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:59 am

I found the RNT J-frame to be great call to start with. It's a single reed poly call but pretty easy to use and learn on. Another call I found great to start with in any echo poly call. If you are having trouble calling YouTube is great! I recommend starting with a double reed and a single reed to learn.
EvanJ
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:37 am

Okay great thanks for the tip!
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:28 am

Go on eBay and get a Foiles Straight Suzy with the insturctional video if you want a mallard call. They're easy to blow and they sound great and they're about $38. The instructional video is one of the best I've ever seen and it has hunt footage at the end that's one of the sickest hunts I've ever seen on film - which probably was poaching, but it's still badass!

They get pitchy when the reeds wear out and they're loud as hell, so be careful and buy extra reeds, they can be blown with normal duck volume ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Cool thanks for the heads up man! :thumbsup:
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby RP91 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:14 pm

For a first timer, I would suggest any mallardtone or quackhead (rnt's cheap polycarbonate calls). youtube is a good place to learn. I kept my calls in the truck and would practice everyday on my way to school when i was first starting off. Practice every day and learn to use your diaphram. I still carry a mallardtone single reed on my lanyard, it is the softest call i have ever used which is a plus for chasing ducks in Texas. Good Luck!
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
-Declaration of Independence
RP91
Newb

Postby PC76 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:40 am

I would start off on a single reed echo or something similar preferably a nice acrylic or wood. Trust me you will thank me for not having to look at the stack of poly calls you have laying around collecting dust. If you spend the extra money and get something nice and it's not what you want you can resale or trade on down the road. Wayne Betts maker betts game calls has a nice YouTube video explaining why a nice call is important to even the novice caller. I am a huge echo fan and I feel that an echo timber or rnt short barrel are great calls for a beginner not to loud, and a bit forgiving but when you step your game up you can grow as a caller with these calls. Also the nice calls come with guarantees where they will retune to your liking. Work on the call if your having problems or replace if there is a defect.
PC76
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:40 pm

don't take this wrong but learning when not to call is as important as learning how to call. I hunt a lot of public land and listen to other hunters calling well before shooting time,during shooting time and a lot of days while im walking out with my limit those guys are still quacking away. practice calling in your truck or at your house but don't practice on the hunt. I cant speak for private or low pressure places but where I hunt I see birds flare from hail calls and drop in on other spreads that are not calling at all.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09 pm

hey but to answer your original post I wld lean toward the RNT calls at what ever price range you want to jump in at> and get a video so you can hear what it is supposed to sound like. then practice with your window down or outside because it will sound different inside than it does outside.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby flightdoc84 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:26 pm

you wanna sound like a duck with no practice haydels dr-85 real easy to blow it was my first but in my opinion get a poly double reed echo to really crank on then hit up the single reed. Once you have that (as I'm not any type of great caller grab the daisy cutter from RNT) you can hail as well as feed very easily.
Charles Galloway
Only number that matters is lives saved
DUSTOFF!!
flightdoc84
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting