Layout blind on the coast

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Layout blind on the coast

Postby timd » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:30 pm

I hunt the coast around Corpus Christi. My usual setup involves building a makeshift blind in the tideline using palm fronds and sitting on a 5-gallon bucket. I have great success doing this as I can move to where the ducks are.
Has anyone used a layout blind on the coast with any success?
timd
Newb

Re: Layout blind on the coast

Postby TexasHunter96 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:49 pm

I don't see why it wouldn't work
TexasHunter96
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:58 pm

If you're going to be doing most of your hunting on the coast I'd suggest a layout boat. Layout blinds will also work, but not as well because you're limiting yourself to the shore.

I know it's not a popular way to hunt down here, but no one can deny how effective they are if they've ever seen them in action. Just my $.02
:-)
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:33 am

We used the layout method in Corpus Christi on Christmas Eve. We didn't have blinds, but a piece of burlap that we zip tied different types of vegetation too and then laid down on dry ground with our blind bags as support. However, this could only be down in this one area we hunt due to most of the spoil islands are either extremely muddy or actually standing water.
Like the post before me says, a layout boat would serve you ten times better then the blind, in fact I have already been looking at them myself.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:18 am

You have just proven yourself to be smarter than ninety nine percent of all duck hunters by thinking outside the box.
tako1972
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting