2013/14 DHC Conservation hunt and Gumbo cook off

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

2013/14 DHC Conservation hunt and Gumbo cook off

Postby tako1972 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:45 am

Hello ,
So :) had the idea to repost the original gumbo cook off on a new thread since we have at least four now on this conservation hunt. I've talked with an outfitter that does well and is currently doing well on the snows, an established club , over twenty years in operation. The location of the lodge is in Midfield, date, Sat Feb 8. The cost(300) includes lodging and food. in addition to that I'm going to try and get them to let me use the kitchen to prepare a hog and some other things for us to feast on. if you would like to join and need the payment info just pm me. Maybe this can turn into a yearly thing? who knows. So here is the list.

1.tako
2.:)
3.Stratton
4.son
5.Brent S.
Attachments
IMG_0005.jpg
tako1972
hunter

Re: 2013/14 DHC Conservation hunt and Gumbo cook off

Postby Mojo281 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:19 am

I thought we were gonna do a fishing tournament and gumbo cook off?? I could be down for a conservation goose hunt, but I think we could have a bigger turn out for a fishing tournament...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:32 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I respect the idea but I'm going to have to side with fishing tourney too. Conservation goose hunting is better done in Missouri/S. Dakota. They might be doing "good" on geese, but that's a pretty relative term and I haven't heard of anyone (especially the guide mentioned in the other thread) doing REALLY good during conservation season in Texas.

I'd probably go with more information but ... don't take this the wrong way ... I'm not committing to a hunt without knowing who the outfitter is.

Are you looking at a different guide now? $300 including food seems goofy when we're talking about a gumbo cook-off.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:07 pm

First off I'm pretty sure a conservation hunt in Missouri is more expensive than a hunt here. No one said that you weren't going to be told the outfitter, I didn't mention them because I wanted to be respectful of advertising . you could have asked , like a grown up instead of piecing together a couple of conversations . A person had just mentioned that a conservation hunt would be nice and others expressed interest. That and I'd be happy to school you on Gumbo anywhere. :thumbsup:
tako1972
hunter

Postby :-) » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:33 pm

I do conservation hunts every year, and seem to do pretty good here in Texas. Granted, if you try to book a hunt later in the season it can suck...if you call 10-20 geese per gun sucky.

For me this is more of an opportunity to meet more people that share the same interest as I do. It will be much easier to get GPS locations to hunting spots in person.

One other thing to note, surveys are showing that we have a lot more geese this year, and with the lack of food to the south it should be great hunting in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:-)
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:56 am

tako1972 wrote:First off I'm pretty sure a conservation hunt in Missouri is more expensive than a hunt here. No one said that you weren't going to be told the outfitter, I didn't mention them because I wanted to be respectful of advertising . you could have asked , like a grown up instead of piecing together a couple of conversations . A person had just mentioned that a conservation hunt would be nice and others expressed interest. That and I'd be happy to school you on Gumbo anywhere. :thumbsup:

Excuse me? Like a grown up? What are you talking about ... having a difference in opinion hardly makes me juvenile.

Cost is not an issue, I just don't understand why we/you'd book a venue for 10 people that included a cost for food when we're talking about bringing the food ourselves. I also don't understand why we'd book a venue that can only hold 10 if the goal of this event is for the forum to come together - I think that's one of the reasons we were initially talking about a fishing tournament, an event that could cater to far more people.

Goose hunting was mentioned once, perhaps twice, so effectively what you've done is planned a hunt for a limited, interested few and asked if an additional limited few would like to go. HARDLY a cooking competition.

Further, having been planning hunts for 8 - 12 people professionally for the last 9 years of my life, communication keeps people from having questions ... very simple questions, like "who are we hunting with?". Letting us know who's HOSTING a potentially planned guided hunt for a site sponsored event is hardly advertising. Had the lines of communication been more clear from thread 1 to thread 2, we wouldn't have to piece the conversations together - not to mention that as a forum WIDE opportunity ... my public question seems pretty justified.

Don't get so butt hurt just because no one's fawning all over the idea. Your list of 10 includes yourself, 3 others and a son. I'm sure your gumbo is impressive but right now it sounds like you're cooking dinner, not participating in a gumbo cook off. Perhaps you should be a little more objective here? Or maybe that gumbo just isn't good enough to school anyone, limiting the participation makes winning easier doesn't it big guy.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Nice!
Just seeing this but not surprised at your post. First of all:
1. no one said only ten could go
2.there are others that have expressed interest but are waiting to see if they are able and I will let them put there name on if they are able.
3.While you may feel that conservation hunting is best done in Missouri/ S. Dakota there are those of us who do it anyway because we love it. We don't feel above others who choose to give it a try.
4. No one is butt hurt that there aren't tons of people participating and I'm not scheming to eliminate any type of competition. Frankly , you come across as a person that thinks that if you don't hunt mallards over corn stubble you are not a good enough water fowler. Well I beg to differ.
Like I said I would school you in gumbo wherever location you deemed good enough to show up to. So before you get keyboard brave and start calling me names and telling me how I'm trying to do this and that you should just check yourself. I tried to organize a little get together for some folks on here that may or may not have wanted to show up. I organize events and throw them constantly and have for more than I care to mention. I could care less if you have done whatever for however long you've done it, that's not the point. I'm sure you've been a d-bag for a lot longer than that.
tako1972
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:40 pm

I also said that the outfitter was going to be very open honest as we got closer and let us know if it looked real good, I thought that was nice of them. If there weren't a good amount of birds he would call it off. the hunt is for fellowship, nothing more. it's not set in stone. if anyone doesn't want to go, that's fine. if you do we'd be happy to meet you. Good luck to everyone on the rest of their season. if you go out and shoot mergansers and bluebills and you enjoy your time in the outdoors, good for you. You're out there participating and continuing the tradition.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Lady, you threw the first insult. All I did was have a differing opinion, I'm not acting like anything, I asked an honest question you took offense - I assure you I come from more humble beginnings than mallards over corn. I'm certianly not judging anyone who hunts differently. Enjoy your little **** show. I'm sure you've earned the power trip.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:13 pm

you don't get it. it has nothing to do with "power". It's about fellowship. the invitation is open to anyone and everyone. why would that be a S@#t show. There's nothing that says folks can't get together for more than one thing, most of us enjoy a lot of the same things, we are all on here aren't we?

I've been in the hospitality field for a long time because I enjoy breaking bread with people, making them happy etc. So organizing a any type of event is not to attain some sort of sense of power. I stated from the beginning that if someone had an outfitter they were keen on than I'd be just as happy to do that. Without getting into a I said/ you said thing, I'll just say(again) that the hunt was for fellowship, nothing else. I would waste too much time trying to convince you otherwise and won't participate in any more arguing about it. best of luck on the end of your season.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 am

No I get it. I get it completely. The two leeward references are in regard to your retort(s).

What I don't get is two fold. I don't get why two very simple questions were so hard to answer, and are still unanswered and I don't get why your so irritated they were asked. Here they are again for the sake of argument.

1. Who is the outfitter?
2. Why does the venue cost $300 including food when we're talking about brining the food for ourselves.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:44 am

I'll say it again for your sake, not argument's. I didn't post a name because I wanted to be respectful of any advertising rules we have on here. If I used an abundance of caution , then I'm ok with that. The opportunity for you or anyone else to find out more was offered. The outfitter is Bay Prarie, Midfield TX. The cost I was quoted was 300, lodging and food included. As I stated previously the owner, in my opinion, kindly offered to let us know if there wasn't going to be a lot of birds ( he would call the hunt off). So the food and lodging is just part of their package. I , on top of that, offered to roast a pig for an even more celebratory type meal.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Statton48 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Tako... Few questions
1. Is this going to be a one day hunt
2. How much would it possibly be just for me to come stay and meet ya and film this whole event including the hunt? ( meaning I wouldn't hunt)
3. Possibility I could bring 3 other gents with me and them hunt "very good guys"
4. Are they going to mix our group with other hunters or is there a number of people we need to make it private?
Statton48
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Conservation season hunts are for MO or Kansas. Texas isn't as awesome as it used to be. If I were going to pay 300 a day, I would make the drive North.

Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Barney#1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:34 pm

:eek: What the **** happened here? I WAS thinking of going if I could scrape up the $$$.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Just a little Honey Hole drama on the Texas site. Lol

IMO...$300.00 is cheap enough. That gives us a place to sleep, eat, drink, and most importantly talk sh!t. If that wasn't enough we get to hunt on their land, and use their equipment.

Gumbo would be great, but it's not worth all the BS...I'll gladly eat what they have, and be happy!

hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:44 pm

I can find out all that for you Stratton. even if you could come eat some pig that would be cool with me. Not mixing groups but depending on how many people we might have to be split up.
I will check tonight.
As far as conservation hunts being better in Missouri, I hear they are. That's great I'd love to see the pictures of your hunt.

The invitation is open to anyone. The hunt may not even happen , if the birds aren't good he will tell us. I just heard they killed 80 geese today.
tako1972
hunter

Postby BigGarwood » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Personally im a goose hunting fanatic, but problem is this needs to a weekend deal, not a one night one morning deal. Goose hunting is a great idea but only a few of us are willing to pay the cash and then no more gumbo cook off which was the main idea to start with. So were limiting the crowd. Point is to get more people involved, drink some adult beverages, catch or kill some critters, and do a gumbo cook off. Lets all head back to the drawing board and. If yall want to go on a conservation hunt for 3 days in Kansas or Missouri just give me shout and ill put a group together. Usually kill 150-200 a day.
Attachments
IMG_0036[1].JPG
Typical Day in Kansas
BigGarwood
Newb

Postby BigGarwood » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:53 pm

forgot to add the link enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj3BYVEpzP4
BigGarwood
Newb

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:28 pm

I want to get into an internet squabble!! Someone say something, I dare you! :hammer:
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm gonna kill more with a cowboard.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby :-) » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Mojo281 wrote:I want to get into an internet squabble!! Someone say something, I dare you! :hammer:

Something!

hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Crazy Matt wrote:I'm gonna kill more with a cowboard.

Best way to hide
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Pouledeau, why don't you organize the fishing tournament and gumbo cookoff? No rules on being limited to 1 DHC get together. I think it's a good idea but would be to difficult to make it happen unless someone took serious charge. But on another hand I wouldn't make the fishing trip because I've never fished outside of a lake/stream and don't know the first thing about salt water fishing.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby BigGarwood » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:12 am

You can be on my boat whistling wings ill teach ya everything ya need to know
BigGarwood
Newb

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting