South Texas hunting questions?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

South Texas hunting questions?

Postby Dmhall03 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:29 am

Before next season I will be moving to the Baytown area. I am in need of information on public areas to hunt and tactics for hunting there! I'd like to be prepared to hunt there next season so just wanted info on the types of decoys and spreads to use also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dmhall03
Newb

Re: South Texas hunting questions?

Postby Dmhall03 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:33 pm

^^

Dmhall03
Newb

Postby Duck_Happy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:26 pm

well the tactic I saw yesterday buy some mojo show up 10 minutes until shooting time find someone with a spread and setup downwind of them and set up in the salt grass..... witnessed this first hamd
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Duck_Happy wrote:well the tactic I saw yesterday buy some mojo show up 10 minutes until shooting time find someone with a spread and setup downwind of them and set up in the salt grass..... witnessed this first hamd

That was you?!?! Sorry :hi:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Check the Texas Parks and Wildlife site for public hunting. For about $45 you can get a pass/permit for access to state land open for hunting, the site will have a map for the land around Texas. Also check corps of engineers site for places in your area and the US federal refuge system for that part of state.

If you have a boat your options increase and in Texas if the water can be navigated it is considered public if you used a public/legal access to the water.

Just to get started, IMHO about half your decoys should be pintails for fresh or salt water, then for fresh water some gadwall, some teal, and widgeon and as an option a few ring necks if you want. for salt water you can add 1/2 to 1 doz redheads. You can expand from here after you get a season under your belt. You should look to have at least 6 doz for salt water out of a boat. Walk in or fresh water depends on the water and what you can carry.

Good luck
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Was a 25 hp yamahammer camoed out boat
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:20 am

Duck_Happy wrote:Was a 25 hp yamahammer camoed out boat

Nah im jokeing, but i do think i saw that boat...people have a bad tendency to do that out here. If the law says you have to be 200yds from another group then they well set up at 201 yards.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:46 am

True on that 2 vs 1 didnt like my odds but hopefully the tide moved out fast they didnt stash their boat in the best spot
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:12 am

Duck_Happy wrote:True on that 2 vs 1 didnt like my odds but hopefully the tide moved out fast they didnt stash their boat in the best spot

I had some guys set up 300 yards from me saturday and shoot at ducks that were a good 100-150 yards away all morning..
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:50 am

Dmhall03 wrote:Before next season I will be moving to the Baytown area. I am in need of information on public areas to hunt and tactics for hunting there! I'd like to be prepared to hunt there next season so just wanted info on the types of decoys and spreads to use also!

Well ... ! It sounds like you need to do your homework then!

As for the decoys. Match what you see when you're scouting.
Pouledeau
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting