2013 - 2014 season

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

2013 - 2014 season

Postby skelso98 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Joined a club this year and have hunted more days of the season than ever before. However, the closest of the club's land is a 4hr drive from me and so far I've only shot a limit on one trip. In fact, on many trips we have had 4 - 5 guys and only shot birds in the single digits. We're seeing a lot of birds in the area, just having issues with blinds on the wrong side of the water for the wind that day, etc.

The past few hunts I have stayed close to home hunting friend's properties in Snook and Hearne. Have killed a lot better numbers. Most of what we kill in Hearne are ringnecks so I mark those packages for friends that ask if I have any ducks I'm willing to share...

Guess how Goose season goes will determine if I spend the money next year or just hunt lose to the house.

Here's a few pics:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
skelso98
hunter

Re: 2013 - 2014 season

Postby frydaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:03 pm

while ringnecks and shovelers are not supposed to be good to eat I find that wrapped in a good maple bacon and a hot jalepeno I cant really tell the difference. mostly they beat not shooting anything. I did notice from your pictures I think the problem might be your dogs are all the wrong color!!! try a yellow lab.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Divers make excellent meals if you alter your cooking a little.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Have you thought about not hunting from the blind and moving? One of the ponds on my lease has one very ugly massive blind that is 20 ft from the water and then some makeshift blind with a park bench. Realized real quick that the birds didn't want to be in those spots and hunt on the direct opposite side from a layout blind.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby daddyhuck » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:00 pm

frydaddy wrote:while ringnecks and shovelers are not supposed to be good to eat I find that wrapped in a good maple bacon and a hot jalepeno I cant really tell the difference. mostly they beat not shooting anything. I did notice from your pictures I think the problem might be your dogs are all the wrong color!!! try a BLACK lab.

FIFY
daddyhuck
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:38 pm

When you get in a lease with 400 other hunters you can't expect much. They get blind shy after a few days, and will drive you crazy. What really gets me is how they know when it's 12:00...to have such small brains they are smart.

Also, a good outfitter should make sure that 1 in 3 hunts are worth while...if they tend to be catering more to the guides you should change outfitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:-)
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm

frydaddy wrote:while ringnecks and shovelers are not supposed to be good to eat I find that wrapped in a good maple bacon and a hot jalepeno I cant really tell the difference. mostly they beat not shooting anything. I did notice from your pictures I think the problem might be your dogs are all the wrong color!!! try a yellow lab.

I've eaten plenty of them. Some recipes I didn't like at all, some were pretty good. If I shoot it, I eat it. Its just that when people come begging, I give them the divers first. Much like people who want to try Nilgai get ground meat, not backstrap...

I'll let your slam on my chocolate slide... :D

whistlin_wings wrote:Have you thought about not hunting from the blind and moving? One of the ponds on my lease has one very ugly massive blind that is 20 ft from the water and then some makeshift blind with a park bench. Realized real quick that the birds didn't want to be in those spots and hunt on the direct opposite side from a layout blind.

I have thought about it and have done it on a few hunts. There are a few issues. 1) There are 6 people in my corporate group, trying to hide 6 people in random cover is tough in most of these spots. 2) Sometimes there are multiple groups hunting blinds on the same pond. When this happens, you can't venture far from the blind you are assigned or you end up on top of someone else.

:-) wrote:When you get in a lease with 400 other hunters you can't expect much. They get blind shy after a few days, and will drive you crazy. What really gets me is how they know when it's 12:00...to have such small brains they are smart.

Also, a good outfitter should make sure that 1 in 3 hunts are worth while...if they tend to be catering more to the guides you should change outfitters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the outfitter by any means. Just saying I'm questioning why I drive all that way when we're killing good numbers of ducks less than 30 minutes from home. The reason I did it this year is I could hunt down there from early teal season on. Up here I don't get to hunt until after the landowners get done killing their deer for the year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skelso98
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 am

just playing around about your dog!! my son has a chocalate we hunted our dogs together once and had a few pintail come over. we both dropped one each. my dog came back with a pintail drake and his came back with a drake shovelet!!! so needless to say i love to tease him about his dog not knowing what he is doing. LOL

and yes i give my son crap about picking out the lone shoveler> but just wouldnt be hunting if i couldnt poke a little fun at him
frydaddy
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:05 am

frydaddy wrote:just playing around about your dog!! my son has a chocalate we hunted our dogs together once and had a few pintail come over. we both dropped one each. my dog came back with a pintail drake and his came back with a drake shovelet!!! so needless to say i love to tease him about his dog not knowing what he is doing. LOL

and yes i give my son crap about picking out the lone shoveler> but just wouldnt be hunting if i couldnt poke a little fun at him

I know, I was just poking back... Trust me, just about everyone in my retriever club gives crap to the chocolate owners. One of my good friends in the club calls them OCDs (Off Color Dogs) all the time. We (the owners) just laugh it off all the way to pick up the ribbons...

By the way, my dog is the one in the middle in the pic of (3) dogs in the back of the truck. She's only a JH with (2) SR passes. The dogs on either side of her both have multiple passes at the Grand and Master National. It's a treat to watch them work!

skelso98
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:37 am

cool witch retreiver club? i have been with tejas for a couple yrs. they have been a huge help with her training that i did myself. she isnt registered so she hasnt been hunt tested but she has retrieved a ton of ducks and dove over the last 3 seasons.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Sorry frydaddy, just saw your reply. I'm a member of the Bryan College Station Retriever club.

This weekend was a bust... My dad asked me to take him and a friend of his hunting. I can't take 2 guests where I hunt locally so I took them to hunt the club. Saturday we hunted geese with one of their guides (Dad's first goose hunt... He's enjoyed it with exception to lying on the ground)). Saw some birds, but nothing would commit. No shots fired. This morning we duck hunted a small pond where I have had good success in the past. Didn't see a single duck... So another day with no shots fired.

We did have a good time just hanging out, talking about past hunts, though so the trip was well worth it.

skelso98
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting