Ducks Unlimited & Delta Waterfowl do they help Texas

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Postby wesdes » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:31 am

I just wanted to know everyones opinion on Duck Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl, do they do enough for texas compared to other states? Does the money raised in Texas stay in Texas? Are the Gulf States getting the short end of the stick as far as money raised compared to conservation acts performed?

I have heard people here and their say all the money stays up north, just want to get a more diverse opinion.

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

- Wes
wesdes
hunter

Re: Ducks Unlimited & Delta Waterfowl do they help Texas

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:15 am

They do a good deal in the Houston area and a few other places on the coast. Other than that no, but you always have to remember where the ducks are when it is not hunting season. It makes sense that most of the money would go north. If there are not preserved duck farms and land up north, then you don't have the numbers of ducks for the regular season. All in all, any donations you give to DU is going to help Texans and hunters in any state. :thumbsup:
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby wesdes » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:57 pm

respect
wesdes
hunter

Postby lowlife » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 am

What Peeler said; if they ain't up North, they ain't gonna come down here! :thumbsup:
How do you know the person that wrote the reading, wrote the reading right? Festus
lowlife
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:18 pm

I'd be worth mentioning that without wintering habitat, we have bad years and so do the birds. It'd also be worth mentioning that this has VERY little to do with the ole "Ford vs. Chevy" debate re: Delta vs. DU vs. where they spend their monies raised. Water authorities, tax subsidies and drought play a much bigger role in our wintering habitat than do conservation organizations.

A couple of ice-eaters and mitigated wetlands up north won't keep the birds from wintering in Texas, NO freaking food and water will.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Pouledeau wrote:It'd also be worth mentioning that this has VERY little to do with the ole "Ford vs. Chevy" debate re: Delta vs. DU vs. where they spend their monies raised.

Very true...

DU focuses majority of their money on protecting nesting habitat, while Delta focuses resources on predator control...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 pm

I'm not a big fan. They're kinda like most organizations these days...makes me think of an old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by :-) on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:-)
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Mojo281 wrote:
Pouledeau wrote:It'd also be worth mentioning that this has VERY little to do with the ole "Ford vs. Chevy" debate re: Delta vs. DU vs. where they spend their monies raised.

Very true...

DU focuses majority of their money on protecting nesting habitat, while Delta focuses resources on predator control...

Sign me up for predator control.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Coonass22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Delta Waterfowl does a lot for the ducks in the U.S and the south. Does a lot of predator control and hatcheries too.

Sent by pony express
1648 wantin a gatortail

Mud buddy sucks
Coonass22
hunter

Postby wesdes » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 am

Ok thanks for all the input and they are all great points... I have another question if their was a foundation dedicated to helping the gulf states and raising money to put in to food plots and helping grow waterfowl habitat just here in say texas would you be more incline to donate your time and money or you think to much?
wesdes
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Waterfowl entrepreneur? :yes:
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 am

wesdes wrote:Ok thanks for all the input and they are all great points... I have another question if their was a foundation dedicated to helping the gulf states and raising money to put in to food plots and helping grow waterfowl habitat just here in say texas would you be more incline to donate your time and money or you think to much?

And where would these food plots and watefowl habitat be located? Private land of the biggest donor or a friend or purely public?
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby frydaddy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:18 pm

good question where wld this money go??? I know DU will send a paid civail engineer to assist private landowners with blding leveys or pond and a biologist to assit with winter habitat and im ok with that. but im not ok with actual cash assistance going to private land owners. that cash could go to state and federal funded projects that are on public land. I hunted in Ill. on public land that had corn planted and they pumped water to hold ducks. wich kinda brings up baiting is it ok for a state to bait but not us??? but that's another subject.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby wesdes » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Sorry for the late reply i have been in West Texas

Well ok I have heard of farmers getting compensated from the government not to plant crops, as not to flood the market and lower values, but why dosent DU or Delta pay the farmers to plant and not harvest or hunt the fields. I would think that would be a great way to have an abundance of food for the birds and an easy investment for conservation. I would think there could be a way to hold the land owner liable if they start hunting the field.

IDK just my thoughts
wesdes
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:47 am

There would be no way to monitor the no hunting rule. Would you have a GW watching the land the whole time?
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:51 pm

I could beat him in a arm wrestling match

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm

wesdes wrote:Sorry for the late reply i have been in West Texas

Well ok I have heard of farmers getting compensated from the government not to plant crops, as not to flood the market and lower values, but why dosent DU or Delta pay the farmers to plant and not harvest or hunt the fields. I would think that would be a great way to have an abundance of food for the birds and an easy investment for conservation. I would think there could be a way to hold the land owner liable if they start hunting the field.

IDK just my thoughts

My thought is I've never shot a duck and thought man he's skinny wish he had more to eat. Ducks will find food one way or another.

Your food plot/refuge essentially would have to be right in the middle of a WMA because other wise I'm donating money for habitat for people with land surrounding to hunt those ducks and not even give me a shot.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby frydaddy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:20 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:
wesdes wrote:Sorry for the late reply i have been in West Texas

IDK just my thoughts

My thought is I've never shot a duck and thought man he's skinny wish he had more to eat. Ducks will find food one way or another.

Your food plot/refuge essentially would have to be right in the middle of a WMA because other wise I'm donating money for habitat for people with land surrounding to hunt those ducks and not even give me a shot.

isn't that the point of this question to begin with?? who gets to hunt surrounding DU projects in prairie pot hole region except DU biologist and DU tv and probably MAJOR donors. im not saying they dont benefit us down here by protecting breeding grounds up there. but I would be all for funds that made their way to TPWD for waterfowl habitat. and im sure the corp of engineers could use a buck or two to put into habitat around any lake in texas.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:51 am

Alright guys... There are alot of really dumb assumptions being made here!!

1. Our state migratory bird stamp raises funds that help manage refuges, which hold more birds then you'd think. They just don't leave the refuges when there is food an zero gun pressure!

2. You can plant whatever the f you want to plant for waterfowl... You just CANNOT MANIPULATE IT!!

3. Farmers do get compensation, called subsidies, to not plant and create a surplus in the market... We are talking about more money than DU or Delta could afford to spend, let alone some smaller not for profit org.

4. DU does help private landowners develop wetlands with verbage in the contract that a landowner has to keep water on the wetlands through mid-April. This is to help make sure that the birds migrating back north have the groceries that they need to make the trip. This often costs the land owner thousands of dollars in pumping from wells.

5. As for hunting the prairie pothole regions... Most of the land, while privately owned, is open to public hunting. It's not hard to travel up there and completly freelance. You just have to do your research and go, not sit behind a computer complaining where DU's funds are going.
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:01 pm

I would like too think that Ducks & Delta are doing their part and yes I'm a member of both . But here in Florida , we have started a state Org title "United Waterfowlers of Florida" . This way we have a input on issues with local WMA's or a natural wetland being rezone . We have shut down plans too built on a wetland here in Florida . Also clean-up days around the state with duckhunters doing it . We have classes for new folks wanting too learn how too duck hunt and youth days as well . As you can see , you will have a lot more say so with in your home state . Good luck
dogyak
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting