Spring turkey hunts

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Spring turkey hunts

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:30 pm

If anyone knows of a lease or has a lease that me and a hunting partner "both army vets" can hunt for a small fee, or a lot of elbow grease on some projects, please let me know. I love the corpus area and the duck hunting and fishing are top notch, but I still haven't figured out where I can chase some of the bigger critters. It doesn't matter if it's archery only, honestly that's probably how I will be hunting anyway. Anywhere with in a couple hour drive of corpus would be ideal, thanks for any info in advance.

I have already started knocking on some doors around my area, but that doesn't seem to work as well as it does in the south east.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Re: Spring turkey hunts

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:31 pm

P.s. IM NOT CYBER SCOUTING OR ASKING FOR HANDOUTS....

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Not trying to start a fight or argument but what is the purpose of people putting army vet or in the military when looking for places to hunt. Not just singling out your post but see it all the time on craigslist. Is it a way to hope to get a connection with another active duty guy or vet or does being active duty or vet somehow show you're more responsible?

Again just a question because I'm curious. I live right next to Ft. Hood which one of the largest military installments in the world so it's very common to see but also easy to assume if you're an 18-22 year old male in that area you're military.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Hahaha in my experience it's just one of the perks of being a vet. Seems to me that people are more welcoming to a veteran, or active duty military member. Just like when I got pulled over for doing 15 over, I had my blue cord hanging from the rear view mirror which struck up a conversation about the military and with out a doubt got me out of a ticket. I'm not trying to sound conceded at all, but veterans don't get enough benefits as it is. Might as we'll take advantage of ones we do get.

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Spring turkey hunts

Postby :-) » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:29 pm

I can set you up with a turkey hunt...you willing to drive 6 hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:-)
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 am

Happy face sounds like your guy man ... !

I will say, there's PLENTY of turkey within an hour from you, but the problem with most spring turkey hunts in South Texas is that they're either already under lease as a package with property leased for deer, OR their guided or semi-guided and expensive as HELL. I saw one guy recently offering a guided hunt for Spring turkey - 1 bird for $1,200 bucks with lodging. That's the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard. IF you end up paying, do not pay more than $300 per bird. Don't let these greed mongers do to turkey what they've done to deer.

I THINK ... key word, think, there are limited public opportunities.

Regionally speaking, the "Golden Triangle" between you and Uvalde and north Texas are more turkey rich than any part of the U.S. on a regional denisty term. I'd just be trying to coat-tail a buddy with a deer lease for this request.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:37 pm

I have a place near Agua Dulce, but for some reason I only see turkey there in the fall.

The other place I'm speaking of is out near San Angelo. Granted it's nothing like hunting birds on the Red River, or the Llano down by Junction, but it's a good place to hunt.

If you want to see a roost with 1,000+ birds it's not for you, but it can be arranged for the right price. :-)

hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Theres some good huntin over in three rivers, i dont think thats very far from you?
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Last edited by Crazy Matt on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:46 pm

Last edited by Crazy Matt on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:30 am

:-) wrote:I have a place near Agua Dulce, but for some reason I only see turkey there in the fall.

In the fall, turkey congregate along rivers and creeks (even if dry) or around other water into large winter flocks habitually, sometimes in HUGE numbers in roosts that have often been used for hundreds of years. In the spring, they spread out and become a bit more solitary, or in small family groups as they breed and nest. It's sounds like you're sitting on the winter roost - but, you should have some stragglers hanging around that need killing!
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:25 pm

I know where the roost is in the area, but they don't allow hunting. I've tried getting permission for the last 6 years...once the old lady passes the torch to her kids it'll be on!

hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting