Asking a land owner to hunt their land.

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Asking a land owner to hunt their land.

Postby Rivr2319 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:46 am

Hey there Waterfowl Family! How is the offseason treating ya'll? Just had a topic on land owners. Texas is privately owned from head to toe. There are plenty if us hunters who really don't have the privilege to hunt on land they own. Now there are public hunting areas of course and outfitters, but down here way deep in south Texas, I have birds sitting in fields that are owned by farmers. I have never really gone out of the way to try and ask whoever owns the land if I can hunt it because I honestly have no idea who owns it! Is there some kind of directory or something I can find so I can start knocking on doors because next year I know where to go, just getting out there LEGALLY and hunting is my problem. I don't believe in trespassing. Growing up watching Whistling Wings and Fred Zink cruising the open farm fields of the prairie region and finding tons of birds seems to be the meal ticket. And tips on how to get around this? I really have no clue!
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Re: Asking a land owner to hunt their land.

Postby Duck_Stank » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:36 am

All I can tell you is what I do. Be nice and friendly and kindly ask about what you saw in the field, pond etc. Then politely ask for permission. That's about all you can do. I always ask the nearest house, sometimes they own it. Or the nearest farm. Good luck.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:41 pm

There are a lot of 1 word answers that when put together can equal results in this situation.
Time
Gas
Ask
Visit
Wave
Speak
etc...

Now while I am blessed to hunt family land we still pursue alternatives/options in the manner that you are asking about.

Time - if you see an area you are going to have to spend some TIME in the area - looking for the landowner or agent to come to the property
Gas - cause you got to turn some corners to make it happen
Ask - another neighbor or property owner that you run into while looking
Visit - hit the neighboring stores and town cafe
Wave/Speak - get seen to get folks attention and be friendly at the cafe

We rarely get approached anymore just because everyone around knows us but it still happens some.
When we go out looking it is a mixed bag of results:
Some simply don't want strangers coming onto the property
Some don't see what is in it for them so you have to explain what you can do for them ($, labor, etc)
Some are readily willing and were just waiting for someone to ask!
Some are willing but then concerned about how much traffic it will be and if you will take care of their place
Some are a bit apprehensive because they don't want every tom **** and harry coming by
Then too some welcome a long term relationship and most people are just wanting to breeze through and use them for a weekend so it turns them off

hundreds more scenarios of course, these are just some things that we have faced and have thought about also.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:39 am

It is impossible to gain permission to a private area without asking.

Ask nearby houses, folks working in adjacent fields, or anyone driving around looking at cattle. Go to a local cafe and start asking the guys who are there at 5 am every morning in muddy boots, long sleeve shirts and a pair of worn out jeans.

How handy are you when it comes to fixing fences, working cows, or hauling hay? Got some extra cash laying around you could offer them for the rights to hunt the land?

For every question you ask, there is only one of two answers you can possibly get.

Yes or no.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:29 pm

PM sent answering your question...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Leonardo1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:59 am

I have found that obtaining permission is all relative to how I present myself. Be honest and up front with how you will use the property and who all you may bring with you. Some you win and some you lose.
Leonardo1
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting