Looking for Duck Hunting Yoda

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Looking for Duck Hunting Yoda

Postby GarDuck » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:04 am

Howdy all,

For those of you that may be interested I grew up dove hunting and had very limited experience with duck hunting. I was fortunate enough to be invited to go on a duck hunt with a man who lived to duck hunt his whole life. His relationship with his retriever planted the seed for what has become a life passion of mine (retriever training). Unfortunately for me I lived out of state or country until last year where I had hoped to rejoin him and learn the ways of truly hunting. Sadly he was taken from this world all too soon experiencing a fatal heart attack and I never had the opportunity to tap into his immense wisdom.

Since this loss and since he originally planted the duck hunting seed I have joined a few entry level leases, spent hours walking through public land, and gone on several guided hunts. I've had several spectacular duck hunts but many many more pathetic ones. Despite consuming journals, DVD's, magazines on various topics ranging from calling to decoy spreads I have yet to put together a knockout hunt that wasn't headed up by a guide or very experienced hunter. I have come to the depressing realization that I am in fact not a very good hunter. Guidance from experienced folks has helped me grow into a very competent retriever trainer and I have produced several talented retrievers as a result. I am hoping that I can find someone who could use an extra hand with a strong back who doesn't mind working hard and has a spectacular retriever (who I can leave at home) in exchange for some coaching. I am particularly interested in learning how to hunt the many rivers in our great state from someone that knows what they're doing. I am located just north of Houston. Thank you for your time any takers?
GarDuck
hunter

Re: Looking for Duck Hunting Yoda

Postby GarDuck » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:28 pm

I would also be willing to sweeten the deal or trade in some way for your knowledge. I can also give my word I wont reveal, utilize, or abuse your spot I could even keep my head down as we travel.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:05 am

Don't overthink waterfowl hunting...it's really not that hard.
:-)
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks I appreciate that and hope that my knowledge base is sound and I just haven't been in right place at right time when out on my own. That being said I'm sure with more knowledge I would more consistently be in the right place at the right time.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Just watch the birds...they'll show you where they want to be.
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:19 pm

:-) wrote:Don't overthink waterfowl hunting...it's really not that hard.

:-) wrote:Just watch the birds...they'll show you where they want to be.

Yep. Trial by fire essentially. Try different spreads and tactics until you find one that works every time. Then post it here cuz the only one I've found is corn poured out
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm

corn got it
GarDuck
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 pm

MarkM wrote:
:-) wrote:Don't overthink waterfowl hunting...it's really not that hard.

:-) wrote:Just watch the birds...they'll show you where they want to be.

Yep. Trial by fire essentially. Try different spreads and tactics until you find one that works every time. Then post it here cuz the only one I've found is corn poured out

You forgot to mention hunting 30 minutes after sunset until dark is the best time to hunt.
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting