places to hunt?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

places to hunt?

Postby toddbntly » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:37 pm

I am moving to Lubbock with plans to duck and goose hunt all the time this season. That is a primary reason why I am moving there! I will be 20 years old and am taking some time off college (I go to Moody Bible Institute in Chicago) to hunt and let my mind clear a bit. I need to get out of the city! Texas is calling me (I lived there for about 15 years). I need some places to hunt though. I'd love to tag along with any of you law abiding hunters in the panhandle area...or just about anywhere in the state. I will be working just enough to pay for my rent and gas etc. so I will be pretty mobile. I will also be in the Dallas area pretty often. I used to hunt some on Lake Lavon...but I still don't have a boat.

Thanks for the help! If I find some good stuff in Lubbock I might be able to exchange a hunt too...it's too early to tell though.
toddbntly
hunter

Postby DFWDuckHunter » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:40 pm

Well;

I went to Texas Tech and hunted that area for many years, but that was quite some time ago. I remember having three seperate playas just outside of Shallowater TX. It was some of the best duck hunting I ever had. The ducks are there, you just have to find them. How to find a place to hunt?

What I did was about a month before the season I would take off and drive, I would drive all the CR roads and look for playas (ponds). Once I found one I would get in touch with the land owner and ask if I could hunt his place, nine out of ten times they said yes and it was free, I only paid once. I think your best bet is to get out and drive the area about a month before the season starts. I would check out the Shallowater area, abernathy,new deal, and west towards Crosbyton. The best areas were on the Northeast to southeast side of Lubbock. I wish I could tell you the exact spots, but I have forgotten the roads. Good luck.
DFWDuckHunter
Newb

Postby toddbntly » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 pm

thanks a lot! It sounds like that is the generally accepted method there. I hope I get into the ducks like you did!
toddbntly
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting