New Gander Mountain in North Texas

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

New Gander Mountain in North Texas

Postby Raven4Ducks » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Hey yall, just wanted to put a bug in everyones ear about the new outfitter store commin to North Texas. Its a Gander Mtn. Gander Mtn started out as a catalog company in 1960 and has grown into 91 stores in 15 states. Its like a Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas without the fluff. Gander Mtn is projected to have 27 stores in Texas alone within the next five years. If you dont know about them you will, and you'll be glad of it too. This particular store is a 65,000 sq ft piece of Heaven. Amazing prices and knowledgeable folks willin to help, inform, or just conversate with anyone interested in the outdoors. They have archery lanes, live bait, more guns than you can shake a stick at, ATV's, gunsmiths...you name it, we have it or can get it. They are pushing to open by dove season, which in our neck of the woods is Sept 1st. The store is located on the south east corner of Hwy 75 and 82 in Sherman, Tx. For those of you not fimilar with that area, its about an hour or so north of Dallas. Just jump on north bound hwy 75 and exit at hwy 82...if you hit the Red River....you went too far. They wont blame ya if you stop and wet a hook at Lake Texoma while though...just dont forget to stop by the store on your way back by.

Thanks a bunch

Tim
Timothy L. Mapp
Raven4Ducks
hunter

Postby Jager » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:50 am

sweet, I've heard just didn't know when they'll open. can't wait. go to the one in Corsicanna a lot. good deal.

thanks for the info.
Jager
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:03 am

This is good news... got one to the north & then another to the south. :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby MicroMike » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:08 am

Don't forget we have a new Cabelas in FW and Budda. I've been to two Cabelas now, and they blow BassPro away.
MicroMike
hunter

Postby Raven4Ducks » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:57 pm

My opinion on Bass Pro and Cabelas. They are good stores to walk around looking at and drooling on everything, but they are just too high. Hell, they have to be to pay for that excess they have floatin around in there that just attract attention and cant be bought. Also, its been my experience that finding someone in there that has the time or the desire to go out of their way to help is few and far between. at G.Mtn they will match any price they have, if they have to since they will already be quite a bit lower than most anywhere, plus knock up to 50 extra bucks off of that. Anyway, not knockin anyone...Bass Pro and Cabelas are great stores and i love to go in them if i have a day to spend looking around. They are perfect places to go when your wallet is empty.
Timothy L. Mapp
Raven4Ducks
hunter

Postby Jager » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:30 pm

Raven

This is just my openion and may be this can be used for improvements :cool: but Gander mountain prices aren't a whole lot cheaper than Cabelas and BPS.
BPS they charge too much for junk and they give you a hard time if you truly have to return it for defective reasons
Cabelas will not sell you junk and if anything happens to it they WILL take care of you so if you pay a little more you know you're in good hands.

I go to Cabelas and GM a lot and have been comparing prices and they're not that much difference. both have good selection the only upper hand goes to Cabelas and that's the staff all know what they're talking about and when you ask them a question they will either answer right or they will get someone who will answer it right and not just give you an answer to give you an answer and get over with it. :thumbsup:

Thanks bro. I can't wait for the GM in Sherman to open.
by the way I bought my SBE from GM in Corsicana and they gave me 1st class treatment and I always say this to anyone I know :yes:
Jager
hunter

Postby Raven4Ducks » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:22 pm

Jager

Just to add something that i should have added before. Its going to be very hard for someone to walk in this GM store and not get an answer to any question they have. For the most part only the experienced outdoors ppl were hired. Although, there are those that arent experienced but are developing a huge love for the outdoors and have a desire to learn all they can. If you happen to stumble across someone that doesnt know the answer to a question, its our policy to find someone who does...even if it means picking up the phone. Customer service is priority one and its drilled into every associates heads to drive that point home. We will also return anything you bought from a GM store no questions asked....even without a receipt. You will get store credit but there will be no hassle.
Timothy L. Mapp
Raven4Ducks
hunter

Postby Jager » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:16 pm

That sounds great man. I can't wait to visit it. I'll be out of the country until Oct so I will miss the Grand Opening. what is your name and what do you do there? I'll come look you up.
what salary are they starting people with? I would be interested in getting a job that I enjoy and know a decent amount about. :thumbsup:
Jager
hunter

Postby Raven4Ducks » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:28 pm

My name is Tim and Ill be in the huntin dept. As far as pay, that part varies. Seasonal, which is a way of saying part time starts at 7/hr and goes up from there depending on experience and how much you know. That was my whole deal with this job, its something that i know i will love and something i know about since ive been huntin/fishin all my life. Plus that you stand to advance pretty quickly the more you know. That means that you could have your own store before too long since there are goin to be 22 more stores in Texas in the next 5 years.
Timothy L. Mapp
Raven4Ducks
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting